Boris Johnson jokes about British sex tourism in Thailand during major Brexit speech

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Johnson said: ”As I have just discovered we have more than a million who go to Thailand every year, where according to our superb consular services they get up to the most eye-popping things.

He may have his finger on the pulse with what happens in Thailand, but methinks he is being BS'd about other facts in his address..........:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, JAG said:

Well I suppose we are looking at it and commenting on it through the prism of living in Thailand. I doubt many elsewhere will see it as anything than a passing reference to where he was the day before.

Maybe so but this is not from Thai media but headline material in UK national press.

Edited by Orac
Nothing

12 minutes ago, Orac said:

Maybe so but this is not from Thai media but headline material in UK national press.

Well - The Independent, which is no longer available in print format I believe...

The BBC covered his speech on the Radio 4 midnight news. Nary a mention of Thailand.

Edited by JAG

He’s absolutely right, of course. Cue outrage from liberals about another ‘gaffe’. Yawn. Boris knows what he did, and why, and how it would get coverage for the Brexit cause. Eg. Making air travel cheaper to appeal to the masses.

4 hours ago, Cadbury said:

If you are British don't take it too badly. Every country in the world has at least one stand-out political buffoon. Even Thailand is no exception the this rule.

But to be fair, she has now left the building.  Not that she was ever in there that much to start with.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

What an idiot!

Good thing he doesn't have a key job in government or was the leader of a major campaign regarding Britain's future, eh?

That could be awful...

No, for that there is no need. That certain position is already filled with a totally incompetent person.

4 hours ago, JAG said:

He is far from an idiot.

He managed to be elected as Mayor of London twice in succession, as a Tory, when Labour was in power nationally and he had somewhat lukewarm support from his own party establishment. They shouted "Boris you Tory w****r" after him as he cycled around London, and went and voted for him!

He is also an accomplished journalist (editor of the Spectator) and author of some very well written and entertaining books and television programs, on varied political and cultural issues. His TV series on Ancient Rome and its influence on Europe was very good.

He cultivates the mop headed buffoon look. His flowery language -"get up to some eye popping things", is very much part of that persona.

He is probably the most competent, and from the lefts point of view most dangerous Tory politician of his generation. Just look at the hatred he inspires from the left leaning press in the UK.

He is also surprisingly liberal (note small "l") in many of his policies.

He is no paragon, but he is no idiot.

I like him, if not all his policies.

Boris Johnson, Synonyme for: Rubber Spine goes with the Wind:coffee1:

• Like 1

I think it is safe to say, the world is changing before our eyes, and the days of nobility are behind us. The world the kids will inherit will be far different that the one we knew, where honor, sanctity, a man's word, ethics, morality and doing the right thing, because it was the right thing to do, and doing a job well, because there was pride and satisfaction in it, meant something. I seriously doubt we will see many politicians in the future, who have much of these qualities. The deflector in chief, Trump is leading the way, and is encouraging the moral and ethical pollution of the planet and it's politicians. He is setting the example for all despots and super freaks the world over. 

And more than likely Johnson was engaging in some heavy duty parties, and he could not contain his enthusiasm. He has that look on his face.

I usually do agree with many of your comments, but I haven’t met a politician yet who emphasis:
honor, sanctity, a man's word, ethics, morality and doing the right thing.
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I think it is safe to say, the world is changing before our eyes, and the days of nobility are behind us. The world the kids will inherit will be far different that the one we knew, where honor, sanctity, a man's word, ethics, morality and doing the right thing, because it was the right thing to do, and doing a job well, because there was pride and satisfaction in it, meant something. I seriously doubt we will see many politicians in the future, who have much of these qualities. The deflector in chief, Trump is leading the way, and is encouraging the moral and ethical pollution of the planet and it's politicians. He is setting the example for all despots and super freaks the world over. 

It was never any different....

I don't shudder at the thought, there are a lot worse public figures about than Boris whether the party would choose him is another matter, it is often a case of stop one candidate rather than elect the right one which what happened to Ken Clarke and Michael Portillo.

• Like 1

Just now, siamcrut said:

I usually do agree with many of your comments, but I haven’t met a politician yet who emphasis:
honor, sanctity, a man's word, ethics, morality and doing the right thing.

More accurately, politicians who 'practice what they preach' - as politicians frequently 'bang on' about morality, honour, ethics etc. :laugh:.