How much $/ month to Live in Phuket ?

coollife99

14 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Not really the pool size, more about the pump rating, and time running.

We have a 1 and half HP pump that runs on timer 2 hours morning and 2 hours evening.

Also a 2 HP jaccuzi pump that is rarely used.  

In that case, I believe the cost of electric (at 4 baht per unit) for your pool alone should be about 1000/1100 baht per month.

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

In that case, I believe the cost of electric (at 4 baht per unit) for your pool alone should be about 1000/1100 baht per month.

The first mistake is to assume electric is 4 baht/unit.

As it happens my electric bill just arrive right now. First 150 units @ 3.2484. Next 250 @ 4.2218. After that @ 4.4217. All plus 7% VAT.  As it happens the indexed 'factor' gave a reduction of 0.1590 Baht/unit this month.  

I must put an electric meter on my pool pump panel as I am only guessing from balance of all the other apartment meters against the main meter. 

We seem to have gone way way off the original topic of  'How much it takes to live in Phuket' 

Edited by LivinginKata

14 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

The first mistake is to assume electric is 4 baht/unit.

As it happens my electric bill just arrive right now. First 150 units @ 3.2484. Next 250 @ 4.2218. After that @ 4.4217. All plus 7% VAT.  As it happens the indexed 'factor' gave a reduction of 0.1590 Baht/unit this month.  

I must put an electric meter on my pool pump panel as I am only guessing from balance of all the other apartment meters against the main meter. 

We seem to have gone way way off the original topic of  'How much it takes to live in Phuket' 

Not a mistake!

I only used that as a rough government average figure; I thought everyone would realise that. And, at 4 Baht, it's close enough to amount you are paying.

So your pool, running for four hours per day, should cost you between 1000 and 1200 per month including VAT.

7 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I think your calculation is suspect.

You seem to be assuming 1.5HP equates to 1.5kW. It's more like 2.139kW, as far as I know.

The difference between the numbers is an inground pump versus an above ground pump, the latter using less power.

http://www.clean-pool-and-spa.com/inground-or-above-ground-pump-operation-efficiency.html

3 hours ago, macahoom said:

Not a mistake!

I only used that as a rough government average figure; I thought everyone would realise that. And, at 4 Baht, it's close enough to amount you are paying.

So your pool, running for four hours per day, should cost you between 1000 and 1200 per month including VAT.

correct! case closed. pool pump witnesses are excused. bailiff next case "living cost in Phuket." :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Electricity prices has many anomalies.
Single phase v 3 phase makes a huge difference.

no it does not, it's a fairy tale. only the initial cost for the meter is slightly higher. i have a 3-phase connection since 12 years and am charged based on consumption.

On 17.2.2018 at 9:37 AM, phuketrichard said:

how many here have a pool? I dont and would never have one, I have the Andaman sea...

I have a pool and prefer it to the sea. 

No need to get stuck in traffic to get there and even worse on the way back. 

Not overcrowded with tourists 

no touts, no stingy stuff in the water 

and Unlike in the sea I will only be swimming in sewage waste in case my kids decide to take a poop in the pool which is highly unlikely:)

Edited by thaibutty
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, thaibutty said:

I have a pool and prefer it to the sea. 

No need to get stuck in traffic to get there and even worse on the way back. 

Not overcrowded with tourists 

no touts, no stingy stuff in the water 

and Unlike in the sea I will only be swimming in sewage waste in case my kids decide to take a poop in the pool which is highly unlikely:)

Building sand castles with kids on the beach is awesome. 

Bill around 5000 baht for 1 fridge, and 4 fridges half with frozen compartiments,pool pump, fountain  and 4 air cons, 1 running about 6 hours a day, electric heather in the kitchen for doing the dishes electric oven( used every day) and induction cooking plate!

I live in CM. I spend $3000 US a month and pay no rent since I own my house. I am single. I could spend less but choose not to. I would hate to retire on less than $3000/month. May as will stay and keep working. $1000/month and you live in proverty

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Building sand castles with kids on the beach is awesome. 

Sure is, when you find a quiet spot.

Of course we go to the beach every once in a while but i really prefer staying home at the pool and the kids actually do to.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

i only live 200 meters to the sea and ZERO traffic.....LOL

Good for you:) 

i have to go through the circle of horror to get to any beach in the south or drive an hour to go to layan, which is still a preferable choice given that’s its much more quiet up there.

Edited by thaibutty

On 2/16/2018 at 4:47 PM, simoh1490 said:

A 1.5hp pump for four hours a day:

1.5k x 4h/d x 30d x 4 baht = 720 baht.

Correct - but that assumes zero psi, the higher the pressure = more load on the system the more power you will consume!