Cambodia’s English skills soaring upwards

geovalin

The quality of education in Cambodia has continuously evolved through the years. Both public and private institutions offer high-standard education, pushing the youth to learn better and faster. Classes in English and Information Technology, considered as foundation for regional and global competence, have also been getting more focus from schools and students. At the 14th Annual CamTESOL Conference in Phnom Penh last week, Education Minister Hang Chuon Naron emphasised the importance of learning the universal language to easily communicate with people.

“Using English is a great way to transmit knowledge. It is not just about making friends with foreign nationals. But English is the youth’s ticket to the future.

7-tt.jpg

They need the skills in English and computer to be more competitive and to contribute more to the community,” said Mr Chon Naron.

Mr Chon Naron praised Cambodia’s improving English and IT skills as teachers, trainers and researchers in the field of English Language Teaching (ELT) and linguistics and administrators of English language schools and universities from over 30 countries gathered for the annual conference. This year’s CamTESOL conference, hosted by IDP Education Cambodia, was aimed at sharing English learning and teaching skills by experts to more than 1,700 international delegates. IDP IELTS Australia sponsors the annual conference.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/50108742/cambodias-english-skills-soaring-upwards/

Schools, such as the private, non-NGO, not for profit Village of English School in rural Kampong Speu are making a difference.

The emphasis is all to often centered around Phnom Pehn, with the rural areas left in the wilderness of neglect. Thankfully, Headmaster Chhun Eang and the staff have elected to give back to the kids that live in the country.

• Like 2

In my (albeit limited) experience of Cambodia, I found the people to have much more of a learning ethic compared with Thailand. I'm not an expert so don't know why but possibly it's due to the horrific  events they endured in the 20th century (Khmer Rouge etc) when the country basically had to rebuild itself?

Or possibly it's due to their Colonial past? 

I've seen the same learning and work ethic in Indian people, but it does appear to be sadly lacking in Thais.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Virtually all Cambodian students, if they can possible scrape the money together, attend private English classes after school.

They are very, very motivated.

I understand that Singaporeans are similar.

• Like 1

chatting to a friend's children today, they go to top five schools in bangkok, class M1; one had a 'table tennis test' today, the students had to hit the ball back and forth 20 times to pass, they had no idea about how to actually play a game of table tennis because all they were taught was how to hit the ball backwards and forwards...

also non of them had heard about elon musk's recent space rocket flight and car sent into space...

i felt despair.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Virtually all Cambodian students, if they can possible scrape the money together, attend private English classes after school.

They are very, very motivated.

True.

I walked along the river promenade in Phnom Phen and a young girl wanted to sell me some wooden bracelets. Her English was near perfect. Faultless grammar and lots of idioms. I asked her where she had learnt. She said self taught plus some lessons at school and lots of practice and help with tourists.

Never seen similar motivation or ability in Thailand. But then....the Khmer do understand that their country is not the centre of the world which motivates them to learn.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Denim said:

True.

I walked along the river promenade in Phnom Phen and a young girl wanted to sell me some wooden bracelets. Her English was near perfect. Faultless grammar and lots of idioms. I asked her where she had learnt. She said self taught plus some lessons at school and lots of practice and help with tourists.

Similarly when in Seam Reap  some years ago, sitting and having a cold drink, 2 young children, aged perhaps 8-ish approached my (ex) Thai GF and asked her for the empty bottles.  She didn't understand, so they asked me in French with which i have a passing acquaintance. I handed them the bottles, said "There you are" to which I got a perfect "Thank you Sir"  Remarkable :thumbsup: 

Thais learn English, so that they can mix it in to 'upgrade' their Thai, mix and mangle to near incomprehensibility, then show off to their friends. Khmers don't seem to be like that, never seen any English words transliterated into Khmer, always original English in the Khmer sentence, as if they realize it's not all just one big joke...  

• Like 1