North Road wire-burying project begins Monday

Rimmer

North Road wire-burying project begins Monday

image.png

PATTAYA:--The Provincial Electricity Authority will begin digging up North Road on Monday as it launches the second phase of its project to bury utility wires throughout the city.

Mayor Anan Charoenchasri met with PEA deputy project manager Boonlua Eingban­rungpan and other city officials Feb. 7 to map out the schedule for the last eight “big digs” the PEA has planned.

Following the model it used on Central Road last year, the utility’s contractor, Burapa Technical Engineering Co., will close 200 meters of one lane going each direction on North Road starting at Sukhumvit Road and working its way to the Dolphin Roundabout.

Barriers will be set up and lights at night to avoid accidents. Construction is expected to last through May 30.

The North Road project is the first phase in a 3-billion-baht overhaul of Pattaya’s electrical system, part of the PEA’s 11.7-billion-baht upgrade of its infrastructure in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai and Nakhon Ratchasima by 2021.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/north-road-wire-burying-project-begins-monday-202190

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-02-16

From the article -

Following North Road, the PEA has plans to submerge power and utility lines on Walking Street and parts or all of Second, Third, South and Sukhumvit roads, as well as Soi Lenkee and Soi Buakhao.

I don't remember them mentioning before that Soi Buakhao was also slated for this? Traffic wise it will make it a disaster if they start digging a huge trench in the road. However it would be great for the long term if they can do it - although it may remove the tourist attraction of the leaning pylon.........

This all Bill Gates' fault - if he hadn't jeered at the tangle of wires festooning EVERY soi in Thailand, this ludicrous exercise would not be taking place.  Within six months the roads will have to be dug up again and the correct spec wires put in and so on ad infinitum.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Given that road can be very busy I wouldn't want to be trying to get along it at those times. I suggest anyone going to the bus station by baht bus go to Sukhumvit and take the white songtheaw to North Rd.

If they are burying all the wires in the middle of the road as per the picture in the OP, how are they going to run the wires to the businesses along the road without digging trenches?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikebell said:

This all Bill Gates' fault - if he hadn't jeered at the tangle of wires festooning EVERY soi in Thailand, this ludicrous exercise would not be taking place.  Within six months the roads will have to be dug up again and the correct spec wires put in and so on ad infinitum.

If done properly, the wires would be put in ducting so new ones can be run without digging up the road. The million baht question is if it will be done properly.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:11 PM, topt said:

From the article -

I don't remember them mentioning before that Soi Buakhao was also slated for this? Traffic wise it will make it a disaster if they start digging a huge trench in the road. However it would be great for the long term if they can do it - although it may remove the tourist attraction of the leaning pylon.........

I can't see how they can do it on Buakhao without closing the road. Shades of Soi Country Club to come?

56 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given that road can be very busy I wouldn't want to be trying to get along it at those times. I suggest anyone going to the bus station by baht bus go to Sukhumvit and take the white songtheaw to North Rd.

If they are burying all the wires in the middle of the road as per the picture in the OP, how are they going to run the wires to the businesses along the road without digging trenches?

Sky hooks.

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

With a simple to operate piece of kit called a "mole" that digs underground without closing the road.

For larger jobs; crossing canals, rivers and major highways; a much larger piece of equipment called a directional drill does the job. 

Technolgy. Isn't it wonderful?

1 hour ago, champers said:

With a simple to operate piece of kit called a "mole" that digs underground without closing the road.

For larger jobs; crossing canals, rivers and major highways; a much larger piece of equipment called a directional drill does the job. 

Technolgy. Isn't it wonderful?

Similar to this Champers .? A piece of kit like this was used by the water authority to run a new water main alongside my place in Britland .. The operator said they can be diverted off the trajectory by stones and rocks being in the way so tend to work better in non stony ground .. But it done the job at my place laying about 5/6 mtrs of new pipe without having to dig the garden up .. 

IMG_20180219_070433.jpg

2 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Similar to this Champers .? A piece of kit like this was used by the water authority to run a new water main alongside my place in Britland .. The operator said they can be diverted off the trajectory by stones and rocks being in the way so tend to work better in non stony ground .. But it done the job at my place laying about 5/6 mtrs of new pipe without having to dig the garden up .. 

IMG_20180219_070433.jpg

That's it, Justgrazing. Your water pipe will have been "laid" using a length of clothesline. Rather more lo-tech, but effective.

Non disruptive technology is the norm because utility companies and/or their contractors have to pay to close a road and pay fines for any overruns. Used on all utility jobs including leccy. 

I have seen the contractors working on Pattaya Nua today, just South of Fairtex.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2018 at 9:20 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

If done properly, the wires would be put in ducting so new ones can be run without digging up the road. The million baht question is if it will be done properly.

If you look at all the wires that are hanging from the poles just imagine what happens every time they run a new cable, then think how log it will take for them to get tangled up under ground, then they will have to dig up the road to sort it out.

Much better if they had invested in Fibre, with utility boxes providing Copper to Fiber (FTTC Fibre To The Cabinet) ever 500 meters or so for Hi Speed Broad Band and VoIP phones. with a maximum of 300m from any property to the nearest cabinet is not rocket science.

lawn-cabinet.png.a1f9957ff9680219268a3b315bcea0ae.png

21 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

IMG_20180219_070433.jpg

Thanks, but don't they require a fairly large hole to start the process? I've seen that sort of machine before, but always a big hole to start. Not so bad going along the road, but sideways?

• 2 weeks later...