Money pours in for Brit and Thai wife and child down on their luck in Buriram

webfact

I've had the debate before and not everyone agrees nor understands but my sixteen years here has taught me that keeping a house clean and tidy is a learned trait, mothers teach daughters etc. But if the mother was never taught then the trait doesn't get passed down, not until some other influence such as TV, the internet or peer pressure comes into play. Sweeping the floor every day is a very Thai thing, cleaning the windows, cleaning out kitchen cupboards once every six months, cleaning out the fridge every month and so on, those are very Western traits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I've had the debate before and not everyone agrees nor understands but my sixteen years here has taught me that keeping a house clean and tidy is a learned trait, mothers teach daughters etc. But if the mother was never taught then the trait doesn't get passed down, not until some other influence such as TV, the internet or peer pressure comes into play. Sweeping the floor every day is a very Thai thing, cleaning the windows, cleaning out kitchen cupboards once every six months, cleaning out the fridge every month and so on, those are very Western traits.

And Western women tell the men to do it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

It's strange, some rural villages are clean and well kept, a km up the road and the next village is a filthy.  Pride must be contagious.

Maybe that's what it all boils down to.    I recall recently visiting a village in Buriram and upon seeing a discarded pair of high  heel shoes,  I said to the lady  with me   " oh look,    A free pair of shoes!"        She was completely unfazed  by the trash and filth of the  her home  and simply said    "they are broken".    I guess it was too much effort to just put them in the bin.

:shock1:

Edit:   The shoes were outside the house in the back away from where 8 residents   of the house were lounging.
I have seen and been in the "village".

I don't believe poor/poverty by definition equates to dirty.

Edited by watcharacters
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Maybe that's what it all boils down to.    I recall recently visiting a village in Buriram and upon seeing a discarded pair of high  heel shoes,  I said to the lady  with me   " oh look,    A free pair of shoes!"        She was completely unfazed  by the trash and filth of the  her home  and simply said    "they are broken".    I guess it was too much effort to just put them in the bin.

:shock1:

The village next door has yaba losers in it, it's no bigger or richer than the one I live in,  but I avoid it.

Crazy half the village is related to  each other where I am and I think tht has a lot to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

The village next door has yaba losers in it, it's no bigger or richer than the one I live in,  but I avoid it.

Crazy half the village is related to  each other where I am and I think tht has a lot to do with it.

We're both from the same province and I can tell you that these drugs are sadly everywhere. In small, in middle sized and in big villages. 

These people are able to steal your shoes while you're walking in them, be aware...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

As far as I know this "appeal" was launched by Thai villagers and assisted by a Thai personality.

There is no indication that the British gentleman or his wife asked for assistance or solicieted money from the Expat community

Somehow it has got onto here where the USUAL lack of charity has been displayed by Western,smug,self satisfied and emotionally rancid expatriate Caucasians who have contributed their two bob's worth albeit with the  intellectual status of a bilby being displayed..

I am very sure that the Thai people will do better...

True that, it was launched by Thai people and how do you think they react if he doesn't take some aktion of responsibility and on top of that gets a hart attack? 

Will they open their wallets again? Or will the feel cheated on? And how will they feel afterwards?

And don't tell me that if you are a UK national and get a hart attack in UK, that the hospital will not treat you. What are the chances he gets treated in Thailand?

Regarding charity. "Poor nutrition causes nearly half the deaths in children under five -- 3.1 million children each year. according to https://www.freedomfromhunger.org/world-hunger-facts    

Put that in to perspective, they have no choose, he had.

I have donated my fare share to organisations that feed children and working to provide "self help" knowledge and tool to do so.

Now, does he deserve the money or the children?

Let say it took me 10min to write this, during this 10min, 59 children died from starvation.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Being a British national has nothing to do with it, as MMB said, it's a residency based system and he is not resident.

Whilst in Thailand he is not resident in UK.  As soon as he returns to the UK and declares himself a resident then he becomes entitled much the same as any other Brit living in UK.

Also if the benefits agency, NHS, or Social Care are unaware that he has been outside the country- that's usually so- then questions of entitlement won't even arise.

What he can't do is obtain any sort of UK benefit while in Thailand.

The state pension is not a benefit, it is a government run pension scheme and payment is dependent on contribution years paid and being alive at the stipulated retirement age- nothing else matters.

PS: His son can become a Brit, because his father is a Brit.  There is paperwork and translations to compete, but it is a mere formality.  He probably will not be able to get his wife to UK unless that charity pot overflows, and she is good at English.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hupaponics said:

True that, it was launched by Thai people and how do you think they react if he doesn't take some aktion of responsibility and on top of that gets a hart attack? 

Will they open their wallets again? Or will the feel cheated on? And how will they feel afterwards?

And don't tell me that if you are a UK national and get a hart attack in UK, that the hospital will not treat you. What are the chances he gets treated in Thailand?

Regarding charity. "Poor nutrition causes nearly half the deaths in children under five -- 3.1 million children each year. according to https://www.freedomfromhunger.org/world-hunger-facts    

Put that in to perspective, they have no choose, he had.

I have donated my fare share to organisations that feed children and working to provide "self help" knowledge and tool to do so.

Now, does he deserve the money or the children?

Let say it took me 10min to write this, during this 10min, 59 children died from starvation.

I am not a UK national.

2.What are you doing about the starving children?

3.Condemnation of others is tawdry and cheap

Tho' it warms the cockles of  your  miserable heart.

To repeat, this appeal was launched by Thais for Thais..

All honour to them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I had kids before and after then.

They didn't get a birth certificate.

It's called a certificate of registration of a birth, or something.

I don't think it's possible for anyone to have two birth certificates, but I could be wrong.

Our son had a Thai birth certificate and a UK one. I had to get the Thai one translated in BKK, certified at the MFA and only then would the embassy do something It did cost me a fair amount as I had to travel to BKK and find a certified translator service acceptable to the MFA, get the work done by the MFA and then the embassy.

AFAIR I paid the translation service to do all the work for me and then EMS the documents back. I think it took a couple of weeks and 6 or 7,xxx baht plus more for a second copy of the UK birth certificate done at the same time.

I have since had them all laminated and they live in the fireproof safe to which my wife and I have the combination but only her nimble fingers can open the safe,

If I have to open it I have to ask my wife or I end up in this position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_GeQR8fJo

Edited by billd766
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2018 at 7:47 PM, Just Weird said:

You're a bit late with that, it was clarified 55 posts ago (by me), so much for my silly noise!  The basic UK state pension is £159 per week.

YOU were corrected by more than one member I believe

I did not need it clarifying if its of any interest

You then acknowledged that you had quoted the OLD pension calculation system

rate

If you had read and understood the info available in this thread you would have been as wise as myself and would have known that the new system applies to the OP subject

So why you quoted the old system only you know

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, drbrit said:

Plan financially for his future?

No.

Take insurance?

No.

Look after his physical health?

No.

Wants handouts?

Yes.

And you of course have done all those things and will continue to do so every day until you reach his age, in about another 40 years I would guess plus you have amulets to ward off even the most remote chance of any bad luck ever coming your way!

6 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Does anyone know why his shack needs to be filthy?

Are there family members near by that could help to tidy the place?

Ah now this is news. I didn't realise it was his shack. I thought it belonged to a member of his girls family and that they were only staying there as they had nowhere else to go.

So.....everyone has got it wrong. He has at some stage saved enough money to buy this shack for himself.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

Our son had a Thai birth certificate and a UK one. I had to get the Thai one translated in BKK, certified at the MFA and only then would the embassy do something It did cost me a fair amount as I had to travel to BKK and find a certified translator service acceptable to the MFA, get the work done by the MFA and then the embassy.

What you mean is a "consular birth registration certificate ", which is not a UK birth certificate. Usually the registering of the birth is enough, for use if your son wants to go to school in the UK, for example.

Btw, there is no certifying body for translators in Thailand. I have translated documents myself, signed them and they've been accepted by the MoFA.

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What you mean is a "consular birth registration certificate ", which is not a UK birth certificate. Usually the registering of the birth is enough, for use if your son wants to go to school in the UK, for example.

Comparing the two,

At the top,

From the UK ......... Entry of Birth, Registration District xxxxx.

From the consul ........ Birth within the district of the British Consul xxxxx.

At the bottom of the forms, "I certify this is a true copy of an entry in the register"

Can't see any reason to describe either as anything other than a "Birth Certificate"

As for attending government school in the UK, the only requirement is you live in the catchment area, nationality is not an issue, length of residence is not an issue. If you live there during term time, it's a legal requirement your children attend.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 2

On 18/02/2018 at 12:26 AM, mjnaus said:

Since winners don't typically have a need for charity, I guess that means you don't ever help out those in need. Helping one another and showing compassion aren't desirable qualities? 

A really desirable quality is to get off your lazy bum and get a job to support yourself, something the parasites this storyline is about won’t do.

10 minutes ago, cat handler said:

A really desirable quality is to get off your lazy bum and get a job to support yourself, something the parasites this storyline is about won’t do.

Do you know today what your future holds? People may one day say the same about you.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I agree - a 'consular birth registration certificate' is just a long-winded way of saying a birth certificate. We registered our daughter's birth in Bangkok with the British Embassy, Consular section and the certificate we got is indistinguishable from a birth certificate issued in the UK for all practical purposes. Just because it doesn't have the words 'birth certificate' on it doesn't mean it isn't one. 

I have a copy of my birth certificate issued 30 years after I was born, that says 'Certificate of Birth' on it - but my original birth certificate issued when I was born, says 'Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth Pursuant to the Births and Deaths Registration Act 1953' - it doesn't say 'birth certificate' or anything similar on it anywhere but that's still what it is. 

Way off topic .........

I have all my UK family birth/marriage certificates going back to the 1850s.

It appears, Long form has "Certified Copy of Entry ...", Short form has "Certificate of Birth", with only 1 exception that being a short form issued in 1914 that says "Certified copy of Entry ...."

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Comparing the two,

At the top,

From the UK ......... Entry of Birth, Registration District xxxxx.

From the consul ........ Birth within the district of the British Consul xxxxx.

At the bottom of the forms, "I certify this is a true copy of an entry in the register"

Can't see any reason to describe either as anything other than a "Birth Certificate"

Call it what you want but just saying a child born abroad can not have 2 birth certificates. My kids have certificates of being registered but don't have UK birth certificates, as they were not born there.

On theit cert. It has in no.4, claim to citizenship, S2(1)(a) British nationality act, and in no.8, S11(1) British nationality act 1981

If you don't believe me, phone the UK embassy.

Edited by Neeranam

Here's my story and its true 

In last year ive been bullied and Harassed at work to the point where i went on sick leave.

Then work decided that they don't have to pay me while on sick leave.

I've had bank threatening to take my house and my car 

I cant pay my bills in full I pay what i can when i can 

I had no money for food or to pay bills I had a sad Christmas and New Year 

I'm doing best I can I'm not asking for hand outs 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Here's my story and its true 
In last year ive been bullied and Harassed at work to the point where i went on sick leave.
Then work decided that they don't have to pay me while on sick leave.
I've had bank threatening to take my house and my car 
I cant pay my bills in full I pay what i can when i can 
I had no money for food or to pay bills I had a sad Christmas and New Year 
I'm doing best I can I'm not asking for hand outs 

Where are you residing?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app