Money pours in for Brit and Thai wife and child down on their luck in Buriram

webfact

I'm 73yo and I've resided in Thailand with my Thai wife for the past 20 years. At 65 yo I returned to Australia to apply for the age pension. I got nothing as I was informed I've lived out of Australia for too long  more than (183 days) in one year and I've broken my residential status. If I want to renew my residential status I need to return to Australia and must stay there for 2 years. I can't even leave for one day.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, trianglechoke said:

WOW, is Thailand so full of bitter expats that all we can do is insult him?

At least some people, myself included, gave and saw beyond their own bitterness. Think about his poor wife and kid if seeing him in a decent light is sooooooooooooooooooo bl%%dy difficult.

You are a good human being. 

• Like 1

He at 65, would be on about 600 quid a month  30,000 baht +  UK pension.

All these years of good, why on earth is the mother living in a run down shack,   when they rented and times were good why was mother not good enough to live with them  ??

Ok he is well over weight,  normally if you stop eating because of little money weight would roll off you.

Maybe half a story as per normal to make the topic vague.

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I am not saying.................I am quoting from factual reports from the UK.

So it's factual that he can easily "present himself at A&E?  You are suggesting something totally impracticable, does he just hop on a plane and magically appear at a hospital?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Slightly strange that despite living in Lahansai. he seems to be unknown to the fairly large local expat community.

The guys who get drunk together, never talking about where they met their wife?

Not for me thanks.

Lahansai, where everyone wants to go to work or retire, lol.

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Maybe you should study the UK system- he would get some pension if he only had 10 years NI contributions, it's very likely he has 20 years and is entitled to receive it every 4 weeks already at his age. As he has not bothered to claim apparently it seems to be another indication of his own irresponsibility and lack of awareness, not really a case for 'compassion' IMO.

If he did contribute NI or receive credits for a possible 20 years and has not claimed his pension then he needs a PA like yesterday

10 hours ago, Denim said:

Correct. He himself has asked for nothing. 

The appeal for help came from the villagers where he lives

( according to the Thai writing in the OP )

The movie star Bhin Banleurit , who is famous in Thailand for giving up his time to do charity work with a mobile accident response team ( something he did before he was famous ) asked for donations on his own Facebook page. The money  being donated comes from Thais who follow Bhin and read his appeal. 

So everyone can give a sigh of relief because nobody has been asked for anything from the guy or his ladyfriend

Let's hope someone in that loop notifies the Embassy and kick-starts the established welfare/repat system, however limited it may be.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thaimelody said:

Returning to UK?

1) 30 years out of the country will net him almost zero pension. Who will look after him there?

2) Run away from his daughter and wife. There is no way the wife will be granted a visa under the current system.

That would depend on how many years of contributions he MADE before he  went AWOL

NOT how long he has been AWOL

The welfare system will make up the shortfall to a amount considered as the minimum by the Nanny state

Thats why the UK is so popular with people who were born somewhere ELSE

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

how do you mean on the QT ??

you talk of buying a visa (which it is not)  as if you were getting   it through the illegal/improper channels  excuse me if i am incorrect     i expect you can correct my thoughts/post

48 minutes ago, catman20 said:

Oh yes, and sod his wife and child, it's his responsibility.

well it is isnt it ?

theirs no one here to blame but the guy himself, its a tough life and you have to learn to take care of yourself and your family.

you click on sad but  its true.

I'm sure the little boy will understand that

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Absolutely. ANYONE can get a disease, like depression, or alcoholism, which affects their thinking to provide for the future.

Thank Buddha, Thai people are compassionate and realize that helping others is good thing to do.

I tend to agree with you.

Perhaps the mistake is to see the expatriate community as one homogenized mass where it actually consists of people from many different countries.

I,for one,became quickly bored with the endless droning on about pensions,the "my house is bigger than your house" syndrome, and the endless grogging on..but that is just me.

On the whole they did seem to lack compassion for each other.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2

I often wonder why these guys is terrible dire situations go to such lengths to remain here. As far as I can see living in Thailand is enjoyable AS LONG AS YOU HAVE MONEY AND GOOD HEALTH. But flat broke and ill....go home when you can access welfare and medical and other support.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

Maybe you should study Western pension systems .....

Most of them do not pay pension to expats unless you have worked 30 - 40 years at home etc.

I am from EU and will not get pension because i only worked 35 years in my home country....
Lucky for me I like to work and have private retirement savings....

Question:
Why do so many people her bash other people while they actually do not know any facts ???? 

As far as the UK pension syatem is concerned I forgive you, as you know not what you say

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

Did you not read the story apalink....he is British..... British Embassy/Support now there's  an oxymoron for the day............:omfg:

A view fuelled by the fact that a large % of cases pass unnoticed/are successful therefore avoid MSM & the "ain't doin' nuffink" brigade loitering on these pages...

• Haha 1