Pheu Thai says joining election protests would be counter-productive

webfact

27 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Well yes, it is a story about whether pt should support the university students, or leave them to battle alone opening up the way for all parties to go to elections. Not about who would win or whether they are liked or not. 

So I guess you could follow your own advice. 

Elected or not, it's how they govern that damns them.

None have governed with anything but selfish self interest.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

How are the they damned. Seem none the worse, no conviction and assets secured. 

They are damned because of their rapacious, self centered, disregard for the rule of law, their greed and abuse of authority to benefit themselves while in power.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Elected or not, it's how they govern that damns them.

None have governed with anything but selfish self interest.

I would reply, but you would jump on the this topic is not about elections, or parties, even though you yourself keep referring to the issue. 

Make up your mind for goodness sake. 

2 hours ago, johng said:

Aherrm 25 watches ?

I have a stainless steel Sieko that a friend bought me a few years ago for about 5,000 baht.

A politician with morals and ethics would have resigned at the first unaccountable watch but to show 25 and still nbot quit shows something special. However morals and ethics were not exactly thought about by the person at the time, if ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

I would reply, but you would jump on the this topic is not about elections, or parties, even though you yourself keep referring to the issue. 

Make up your mind for goodness sake. 

My views have been crystal clear. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Eligius said:

Right, Cadbury! I am staggered that people still actually believe there is going to be a (genuine) election! What does it take to open people's eyes? How many more times must the junta 'postpone' the election with trumped-up phoney reasons? Is it not now blindingly obvious that this bunch of hoodlums with guns HAVE NO INTENTION  of calling a free and fair election? And a fake, sting-pulled election is just about as useless as no election at all.

I really think the writing is not only on the wall, but over the floors and ceilings as well: THERE AIN'T GOING TO BE ANY GENUINE ELECTION UNDER THE MILITARY JUNTA!

It's been the carrot and the donkey routine since day one.

It's shameful they let the university students shoulder this galieth by themselves. Whilst in the event of success, every single party will benefit. 

I hope these youngsters win and start their own party. I would vote for them. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, greenchair said:

It's been the carrot and the donkey routine since day one.

It's shameful they let the university students shoulder this galieth by themselves. Whilst in the event of success, every single party will benefit. 

I hope these youngsters win and start their own party. I would vote for them. 

I agree with you but you have to look back to "Black May" in 1992 to find something a little similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_May_(1992)

Black May, or Bloody May (Thai: พฤษภาทมิฬ; RTGS: Phruetsapha Thamin) is a common name for the 17–20 May 1992 popular protest in Bangkok against the government of General Suchinda Kraprayoon and the military crackdown that followed. Up to 200,000 people demonstrated in central Bangkok at the height of the protests. The military crackdown resulted in 52 officially confirmed deaths, many disappearances, hundreds of injuries, and over 3,500 arrests. Many of those arrested are alleged to have been tortured.

Could it happen again? I don't truly know and I hope not but this time there is a greater access to the media, social media etc.

Could the government do it again and get away with it like before?

IMHO it is just possible that they could do it again, but getting away with it this time will be a different story.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The military crackdown [of 1992] resulted in 52 officially confirmed deaths, many disappearances, hundreds of injuries, and over 3,500 arrests. Many of those arrested are alleged to have been tortured.

Could it happen again? I don't truly know and I hope not but this time there is a greater access to the media, social media etc.

Could the government do it again and get away with it like before?

IMHO it is just possible that they could do it again, but getting away with it this time will be a different story.

The enforcement arm of the Powers That Should Not Be could not get away with it now if the people rose up in their MILLIONS and this was all filmed and put on social media. Nothing less will be truly effective. A few slave-masters simply cannot control MILLIONS of their (as they see it) 'slaves' if those slaves decide finally that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! 

16 hours ago, Eligius said:

Right, Cadbury! I am staggered that people still actually believe there is going to be a (genuine) election! What does it take to open people's eyes? How many more times must the junta 'postpone' the election with trumped-up phoney reasons? Is it not now blindingly obvious that this bunch of hoodlums with guns HAVE NO INTENTION  of calling a free and fair election? And a fake, sting-pulled election is just about as useless as no election at all.

I really think the writing is not only on the wall, but over the floors and ceilings as well: THERE AIN'T GOING TO BE ANY GENUINE ELECTION UNDER THE MILITARY JUNTA!

That is your opinion, i believe they will allow elections but I can't give a date. For the record I want the junta gone. Seems the politicians also believe there will be an election... otherwise they would not worry about risks of joining these protests.

Edited by robblok

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is your opinion, i believe they will allow elections but I can't give a date. For the record I want the junta gone. 

I understand your viewpoint, Rob (one shared by others). The problem is that the junta will only hold elections if they are pretty sure they can continue to maintain control over all the main levers of power. They also could lie about the result of any election (who can dare prove them wrong - as with the alleged, but never independently verified, '63% voting in favour of the Constitution')?

The junta have already got everything pretty much sewn up in their favour (through the threat of force and through bogus legal channels)  - so that any (very controlled and non-free) election they might hold (at some distant date) would be meaningless anyway. That is the terrible situation in which the Thai people now find themselves.

Edited by Eligius

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

I understand your viewpoint, Rob (one shared by others). The problem is that the junta will only hold elections if they are pretty sure they can continue to maintain control over all the main levers of power. They also could lie about the result of any election (who can dare prove them wrong - as with the '63% voting in favour of the Constitution')?

The junta have already got everything pretty sewn up in their favour (through the threat of force and through bogus legal channels)  - so that any (very controlled and non-free) election they might hold (at some distant date) would be meaningless anyway. That is the terrible situation in which the Thai people now find themselves.

The junta has putten their people in places of power and the appointed senators make it hard for a next government to really have much power. I agree that is not a good thing, however this is no difference from what all previous parties did (except for the senators) they all put their people in places of power. (that is why Thailand was never a true democracy as it destroys checks and balances). 

I have no idea when they will hold an election, and your probably right that they will only allow it when they think they got enough support.. but that means people will actually vote for them as that is the only way. Do you really think they can get enough votes (personally I don't think they can) but if they are voted in then so be it. 

But I don't really care.. because whoever gets in power will play the same game (getting rich from corruption) like all others have done before them. So I don't see the point anymore unless a party rises that really helps the people. I said it before i came here when Thaksin ruled, saw how corrupt and arrogant he was saw the same traits from YL and her government. Thought it was a PTP thing but now see the junta get rich from corrupt things too and their arrogance matches that of the PTP. So i have accepted that is a general trait of those in power.  

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

The PTP politicians believe so too.. otherwise they would not mind risking it. But hey.. you know better then they do. 

For four long years hardly a peep from thaksin or abhisit or Suthep. 

Lately, he has been making a come back. 

Don't be so sure of yourself, fact is most people don't know a smitten of what's going on between all of them. 

The "February " date has already been moved to march. 

There will be an election. 

Reform before elections. 

Follow the road map. 

Tomorrow. 

Next month. 

Next year. 

Are all statements with no end and will be truisms into infinity. 

So yes, there will be an election.......................

One day. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, greenchair said:

For four long years hardly a peep from thaksin or abhisit or Suthep. 

Lately, he has been making a come back. 

Don't be so sure of yourself, fact is most people don't know a smitten of what's going on between all of them. 

The "February " date has already been moved to march. 

There will be an election. 

Reform before elections. 

Follow the road map. 

Tomorrow. 

Next month. 

Next year. 

Are all statements with no end and will be truisms into infinity. 

So yes, there will be an election.......................

One day. 

I am not sure of myself.. I am sure that the Thai politicians have a better understanding of what will happen then you. They don't want to risk joining the protest as it would damage them in the election. Now that sure sounds that they think there will be an election. 

Or these PTP politicians are lying... they would not do that would they ?

Edited by robblok

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I am not sure of myself.. I am sure that the Thai politicians have a better understanding of what will happen then you. They don't want to risk joining the protest as it would damage them in the election. Now that sure sounds that they think there will be an election. 

Or these PTP politicians are lying... they would not do that would they ?

Poor robo, ever the optimist ??