Video: Irate house owner takes axe to illegally parked car - but there's a backstory

snoop1130

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I would not damage a car either.. but I think the problem here is that this is a recurring problem that happens almost every day. I think the annoyance builds up and up and now finally explodes. I also don't think anything will change there as people here really don't care about others when they park their cars.

There may be a law here that prevents parking on access/driveways

[Section 57 of the Land Traffic Act which states: Unless otherwise granted by this Act or regulations, no driver shall park his vehicle: at the entrance/exit of a building or roadway or within a distance of 5m from the entrance of a roadway]

But as always the law here is almost a moot point... someone was quite antisocial in the extreme in carelessly blocking her driveway in front of which are a number of very clear signs. 

The back story (on the Thai news) is that this Family bought the 'residential land' and built a house, at a later date a market started to grow, commercial activity on 'residential land' and against the law.

The house owner has sued the owner of the market and won, the market should go, but for the past few years nothing has changed.

People commonly park in front of the house driveway which in the past has led to serious issues when access (exit) was urgently required to get someone to Hospital. 

In short: even without the backstory the person who parked across someones driveway 'has it coming' if their car gets damaged. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

There may be a law here that prevents parking on access/driveways

[Section 57 of the Land Traffic Act which states: Unless otherwise granted by this Act or regulations, no driver shall park his vehicle: at the entrance/exit of a building or roadway or within a distance of 5m from the entrance of a roadway]

But as always the law here is almost a moot point... someone was quite antisocial in the extreme in carelessly blocking her driveway in front of which are a number of very clear signs. 

The back story (on the Thai news) is that this Family bought the 'residential land' and built a house, at a later date a market started to grow, commercial activity on 'residential land' and against the law.

The house owner has sued the owner of the market and won, the market should go, but for the past few years nothing has changed.

People commonly park in front of the house driveway which in the past has led to serious issues when access (exit) was urgently required to get someone to Hospital. 

In short: even without the backstory the person who parked across someones driveway 'has it coming' if their car gets damaged. 

Thanks for the extra information only gives more support to the lady, I understand her I would not do the same thing but I understand her frustration. 

i had it in the UK years ago, dropped kerb (at great expense) denotes my right of way, school dinner lady parked, so i could not get my boat out, her answer, * you should not have a boat* rang the cops, a young cop rolls up, wet behind the ears, goes over to the school the lady throws him the keys and told him to move it, i said what are ya man or mouse ha ha.my mate had a coach company, he said i will park one of my buses outside of her house , see how she likes it, i was tempted ha ha

I feel for lady battering the Nissan pickup, but it is still criminal damage.

It is not the fault of the vehicle, but in this case, I would be on the side of the lady.

The keeper of the pickup is to blame. Total ignorance, which is  very very command place here.

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

I do have quite a bit of sympathy for the lady even if the reaction was a bit OTT. A very sharp knife in two tyres would have been a better solution, one front, one rear would have worked even better. Then insurance doesn't cover it. ?

Done on the QT then watch the effort to get it fixed.

Yes except of course that would have meant the drive was blocked for much longer Duh!

Much better to take the John Cleese approach as this woman did and beat the sh*t out of the offending pick-up.

Ratchanikorn said the house gate was padlocked and festooned with signs, so she assumed it was shuttered for legal reasons and thus unoccupied.

Unless mistaken, the signs are previous court order to evict the nearby illegal market, which were not acted upon, and warnings about parking in-front of the driveway.

And then there's that:

previously the father of the house owner had died after he fell into a coma and could not be taken to hospital in time as someone was blocking the driveway.

So over the top for some, straw and camel back for her.

32 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Yes except of course that would have meant the drive was blocked for much longer Duh!

Much better to take the John Cleese approach as this woman did and beat the sh*t out of the offending pick-up.

Did answer that before. Stick the two tyres on one side. The car can still be driven a few yards to clear the gate even with flat tyres. Simple if you think it through.

18 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Far too many selfish pricks around, too many drivers in Thailand don't care enough for others to even get out of the way of ambulances, evidence of which most of us have seen first hand as well as on clips posted here.

It's easy to understand why the homeowner was so angry.

but they learnt a bit from a clip in korea i think it was. prep nung

19 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

I attempted to pay for a bull bar or nudge bar to be installed when I bought my truck.

I was refused and told it was illegal.

A bull bar  gentle push could have done the job with minimal damage...

You can't nudge a vehicle without damaging it when  the parking brake is engaged 

Depending on the vehicle you might even damage the transmission as well as the bodywork 

18 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Far too many selfish pricks around, too many drivers in Thailand don't care enough for others to even get out of the way of ambulances, evidence of which most of us have seen first hand as well as on clips posted here.

It's easy to understand why the homeowner was so angry.

but they learnt a bit from a clip in korea i think it was. prep nung

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Did answer that before. Stick the two tyres on one side. The car can still be driven a few yards to clear the gate even with flat tyres. Simple if you think it through.

Ah! You see you are applying logic and this is with stubborn, argumentative, angst ridden Thais.  I am pretty sure that the pick-up driver would use the opportunity to exploit the situation and cause as much disruption as possible in an effort to keep face.  In Thailand it is rare for anyone to give way.  

20 minutes ago, Whitson said:

I remember the action taken to deter inconsiderate parkers where I lived in the UK.

The guy I knew pasted a sheet of brown paper on the windscreen using a water soluble glue.

Took the guy half an hour to remove it! Hilarious!

Like the principle but again it delays the vehicle being moved.  When I lived in Chelsea (yes I know but I was only renting!) and someone parked irresponsibly, you just made a quick phone call and the council had a car removal truck there within fifteen minutes and it was hoisted on and off to the car pound.  At that time it was £140 plus a ticket to get it back.  It certainly worked well for us!

Despite what happened to her in the past, due to cars being parked outside her royal palace, she should get done for this. I'm sure if I'd been guilty of such an action it'd be a fine, maybe the slammer and shamed as a bad farang, bringing shame upon us all. I can't tell you the amount cars I encounter on the daily here that I'd love to take an axe to but, even as a non Buddhist and a farang who hasn't been taught from day dot to keep his mouth shut, I'm capable of this small thing called self control. 

Edited by ZeVonderBearz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Netease said:

If it kept happening to me I  would invest in a floor jack, jack the car up and move it to the middle of the road, no damage, then see how fast the police move, they are small women but look wealthy enough to buy a forklift, 

A floorjack and a forklift are not the same thing.... :blink:

20 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

A floorjack and a forklift are not the same thing.... :blink:

Read the quote properly "If it kept happening to me I  would invest in a floor jack, jack the car up and move it to the middle of the road, no damage, then see how fast the police move, they are small women but look wealthy enough to buy a forklift," 

Edited by Netease
Didn't put full quote

No surprises here with no consideration for other drivers on the road, parking wouldn't get a second, third etc. thought. While I sympathize with the ladies after having the problem for some time might they not have thought of another way to get publicity? Well, they have publicity now so maybe it will start a 'fad', Ha!

Sections 55 & 57 of the Land Traffic Act 2552 deal with leaving vehicles causing an obstruction such as this. Getting the police to remove them as they would do in other countries may be a problem though. In the UK it would be towed, driver would get a ticket for obstruction plus hefty towing and storage charge at the pound.

3 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Had this problem already for 10 years ?

Then it is about time you start using our useless empty brain !

bXRpbWU9MTQ2NTgyNjM3OQ==.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

If the Thais get wind of these they'll be installed outside every shop and home in all of the country. When you buy or rent a property in Thailand, be it for personal or commercial use, the PUBLIC road outside automatically becomes apart of the property also. 

9 hours ago, wgdanson said:

As someone said previously, the transmission is locked in Park without the key in the ignition. Makes me wonder how car thieves in films just open the door, fiddle with a few wires under the dash, and drive off.

Best of all is when in the movies they break the window by punching it.

I always wonder how many failed car thieves turn up at A&E with 4 broken knuckle bones and how they explain the injury.

???