Pollution tax on motorcycles now on the table

webfact

21 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Hard working people not pay tax

Only the elite do it 

But it could be better if everyone do it 

Most people in Thailand are too poor...or too rich, to pay tax. It's the middle classes that are lumped with it.

Edited by Sir Dude

56 minutes ago, Thian said:

First ban the 2stroke engines, motocycles and tuktuk's and lawnmowers.

Then ban ALL VEHICLES that use more than 1 litre for 10 km....all those big SUV's and pickups belong on the countryside, not in the city.

Then give clean/efficient motocycles (or electric ones) a special lane, also on the tollways...so many more cardrivers will use a motocy so congestion will be stopped.

Also get rid of the bahtbuses, tricycles and everything else which blocks the trafficflow.

Make the skytrains very cheap, build a good passengerboat system with electric motors on solarpower...build more big supermarkets with parkinglot so bangkokians can easy shop and buy everything in 1 time...markets will disappear which also causes loads of traffic from big cars.

It's time to grow up now Thailand and look what they did in Tokyo or London.

You might have to cull all those less affluent than you, who use bahtbusses and motorcycles to get around, and who shop and make a living from trading in those pesky markets and from various tricycles and motorcycle combinations, but then how much more convenient it will be for you, able to drive unhindered to your supermarket.

Or you could go and live in Tokyo or London I suppose...

10 minutes ago, JAG said:

You might have to cull all those less affluent than you, who use bahtbusses and motorcycles to get around, and who shop and make a living from trading in those pesky markets and from various tricycles and motorcycle combinations, but then how much more convenient it will be for you, able to drive unhindered to your supermarket.

Or you could go and live in Tokyo or London I suppose...

I drive motocycle as well...surprise isn't it?

And we are getting skytrains all over BKK so there's no need for bahtbuses anymore.

People who want to live very cheap better move to the countryside, to your village perhaps.  All over the world cities cost more to live in and rules even make it more expensive.

The educated Bangkokians want to raise their kids in clean air, is that so strange? Do you want them all to move to Tokyo so only uneducated ones stay in Thailand? What a mess it will be.

43 minutes ago, Thian said:

I drive motocycle as well...surprise isn't it?

And we are getting skytrains all over BKK so there's no need for bahtbuses anymore.

People who want to live very cheap better move to the countryside, to your village perhaps.  All over the world cities cost more to live in and rules even make it more expensive.

The educated Bangkokians want to raise their kids in clean air, is that so strange? Do you want them all to move to Tokyo so only uneducated ones stay in Thailand? What a mess it will be.

I'm not in the slightest bit surprised that you drive a motorcycle.

Huge swathes of Bangkok and it's inhabitants are not even touched by the Skytrain or Subway. Bahtbusses and motorcycles are pretty much the only means of transport they have. They cannot afford to shop in supermarkets.

I presume that you count yourself as an educated (farang) Bangkokian. I appreciate that you and others wish to raise your children in clean air. I am surprised that you envisage solutions to that which will effectively force from the city in which you live the majority of its citizens. Ironically many of whom will be the people whose labour provides the services which make it such an agreeable place to live. There again, you really don't do irony do you?

Edited by JAG

13 minutes ago, JAG said:

I'm not in the slightest bit surprised that you drive a motorcycle.

Huge swathes of Bangkok and it's inhabitants are not even touched by the Skytrain or Subway. Bahtbusses and motorcycles are pretty much the only means of transport they have. They cannot afford to shop in supermarkets.

I presume that you count yourself as an educated (farang) Bangkokian. I appreciate that you and others wish to raise your children in clean air. I am surprised that you envisage solutions to that which will effectively force from the city in which you live the majority of its citizens. Ironically many of whom will be the people whose labour provides the services which make it such an agreeable place to live. There again, you really don't do irony do you?

We have loads of motocy driving staff to live here, and we pay all of them..they can also come by skytrain though but they don't.

And if we have to raise their salaries to buy a car we will, will also increase our salaries and you pay the bill for that or won't get internet/cellphone connection, that's how it works.

Bangkok is just far too busy and the only way to get some people out is by raising prices...

Bahtbuses are very annoying and don't fit in Bangkok 4.0....we have skytrains being  built everywhere now.

And markets cost the same as supermarkets, if we got more big supermarkets who pricefight eachother they will even get much cheaper than the markets now...in Germany supermarkets are much cheaper than outdoor markets in BKK...but of course you knew that already.:post-4641-1156694572:

5 hours ago, jonstarjon said:

Respect for the 750 widow maker.. Especially in Thailand. 

Thanks but that was thirty years ago back in England.

Over here I have a more sane Kawasaki Vulcan S, which somebody on another thread described as a grandad's sofa, but is much more suited to the conditions here.

The kettle was a beast for sure and, looking back, I must have been very fortunate to survive it.

13 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Oh I see, so I am riding a Forza and should pay more tax on my fuel to subsidise all these cars and trucks belching out black smoke, and the over noisy motorbikes??

The cars and trucks would be paying more too....it's a tax on fuel.

As for trucks belching out smoke ask the police to enforce already existing laws, they'd raise a huge amount.

As for noisy motorbikes ask the police to enforce already existing laws, they'd raise a huge amount.

• Like 1

In the short to medium term, the only thing that's actually going to reduce pollution is mandated (and strictly enforced) regular emissions testing on all vehicles:  motorbikes, cars, vans, buses. 

In the longer term, electric vehicles -- beginning with buses, then cars, then commercial vehicles -- will likely be the answer.  China is making huge and rapid strides in producing and installing electric buses in its cities.  In Thailand, moving toward electric buses seems pretty feasible, but it'll probably take decades for the charging infrastructure to be built for private cars.  I'm not sure who's doing what with development of electric bikes. 

Of course, you'll still have to control emissions at power plants.....  ;-)

Edited by JTXR

19 hours ago, CGW said:

I shall remain silent as English is obviously not your first language and you are struggling to comprehend exactly what I wrote. :shock1:

It helps if you break the sentence into smaller parts and try to digest each part, then you might comprehend that I really trying the point that motorcycles are major polluters, but noisy !astrd things for the most part.

Try to think before you post!

Hmmm... 'It helps if you break the sentence into smaller parts and try to digest each part, then you might comprehend'

How about following your own advice. 

You sound like the usual pompous full of sh1t TV try hard.

Your understanding of pollution, engineering and mechanics must be about the same your ability to write a reply....