Air Quality Red Lining Last 24 Hours

sfokevin

I have been here for 30 years, to put this in perspective this is probably the best it has been in the last 20 years.  They have just been measuring it better and it's actually getting more attention than in the past, but of course much too little effort and attention for us farangs.

• Like 2

I would't say it's the best in 20 years, keeping in mind that it's teh second half of February.   It's pretty typical though, you would expect some spells into the red (US EPA AQI of 150-170) and then back into the orange.  it comes and goes this time of year.

Ups and downs this month shown below. (PM2.5 values in ug/m3, not US EPA AQI values. The boundary between orange and red on the US EPA scale is around 55 ug/m3.

Capture5.JPG.5d64203f101305f3992c653d127af157.JPG

(Average for the month is 50 ug/m3 so far.)

And also geographically it's all very similar right now in the wider region, with values on all sides around the orange-red boundary.  (The color thresholds are pretty arbitrary of course, it's not like 148 in orange is acceptable but suddenly at 156 in the red there is cause for alarm that wasn't there at 148..)   It is what it is, and people who are sensitive to this and/or have a respiratory health condition know to limit strenuous outdoor activity, and go shop some filters at HomePro. 

Capture4.JPG.1d65ea53dd34795f73fa801c96264349.JPG

Plus the weather has a very big impact, that's why the AirVisual app can also do pollution forecasts. 

(Some storms coming up soon, but even if the storm doesn't materialize then that still results in a better spell for a couple days before creeping up again.)

Here is how we're doing so far this year in Feb compared to past years.  (Doesn't work on mobile) : https://www.facebook.com/aqichiangmai/app/190322544333196/ 

BTW there is a pinned topic for this.  (Two actually, which is a little mysterious why the old 2016/17 one is still going.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

I would't say it's the best in 20 years, keeping in mind that it's teh second half of February.   It's pretty typical though, you would expect some spells into the red (US EPA AQI of 150-170) and then back into the orange.  it comes and goes this time of year.

Ups and downs this month shown below. (PM2.5 values in ug/m3, not US EPA AQI values. The boundary between orange and red on the US EPA scale is around 55 ug/m3.

Capture5.JPG.5d64203f101305f3992c653d127af157.JPG

(Average for the month is 50 ug/m3 so far.)

And also geographically it's all very similar right now in the wider region, with values on all sides around the orange-red boundary.  (The color thresholds are pretty arbitrary of course, it's not like 148 in orange is acceptable but suddenly at 156 in the red there is cause for alarm that wasn't there at 148..)   It is what it is, and people who are sensitive to this and/or have a respiratory health condition know to limit strenuous outdoor activity, and go shop some filters at HomePro. 

Capture4.JPG.1d65ea53dd34795f73fa801c96264349.JPG

Plus the weather has a very big impact, that's why the AirVisual app can also do pollution forecasts. 

(Some storms coming up soon, but even if the storm doesn't materialize then that still results in a better spell for a couple days before creeping up again.)

Here is how we're doing so far this year in Feb compared to past years.  (Doesn't work on mobile) : https://www.facebook.com/aqichiangmai/app/190322544333196/ 

BTW there is a pinned topic for this.  (Two actually, which is a little mysterious why the old 2016/17 one is still going.)

The long term effects of the PM 2.5 exposure is what I’m personally concerned with.

My Thai partner was using a mask that was useless for 2.5 ....didn’t know.

I have always heard that CM has had a smoke issue.

Me personally, if the smoke is bad, it affects me, I am in Sakon Nakhon, and looked into what I can do to avoid the smoke when the dipsticks are burning, which is most of the bloody year, any type of burning banned in my old country, wonder why...der

So my research led me to an IQAir purifier, best product available on the market, but hey, I am not here to sell it or any other products, but if your interested, research it, and if you want to purchase one, you can PM me and I will provide you with the place I purchased mine from in Bangkok, they deliver and I got insurance included as it not a cheap item, but I value my health and am not prepared to move from where I am living.

This is one of the best decisions I made when it came to outlaying the $'s for what I get in return, air, now you cannot put a price on that, and who ever says air is free, well, depends on what you want to intake with the air you breath.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mikey88 said:

The long term effects of the PM 2.5 exposure is what I’m personally concerned with.

My Thai partner was using a mask that was useless for 2.5 ....didn’t know.

The Aqicn.org site has an article linked on different models.   It's probably not useless though, even plain surgical masks help somewhat.   Also.. don't go overboard with getting the strongest filtering kind because they can be difficult to breathe through, which then leads to not using them.  

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I am in Cm now and would not have even suspected there was a problem. 

By local standards it's pretty okay.  It could be better though, if you suddenly get a really clear day after the winds change or a rain storm then you do notice the difference. (In terms of visibility and air clarity.. I cannot comment on health impact from personal experience as I don't have symptoms even during the worst of it.  That said, lower pollution levels is always better, of course.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

The whole of Thailand has a smoke issue when people burn things.  (Impact from nearby sources).  The whole North and North East (and the wider region into nearby countries) has a particulate matter pollution issue part of the year at the end of the dry season. While the cause is smoke from forest fires and agricultural burning, it doesn't smell particularly smoky. (More dusty..)

Me personally, if the smoke is bad, it affects me, I am in Sakon Nakhon, and looked into what I can do to avoid the smoke when the dipsticks are burning, which is most of the bloody year, any type of burning banned in my old country, wonder why...der

So my research led me to an IQAir purifier, best product available on the market, but hey, I am not here to sell it or any other products, but if your interested, research it, and if you want to purchase one, you can PM me and I will provide you with the place I purchased mine from in Bangkok, they deliver and I got insurance included as it not a cheap item, but I value my health and am not prepared to move from where I am living.

This is one of the best decisions I made when it came to outlaying the $'s for what I get in return, air, now you cannot put a price on that, and who ever says air is free, well, depends on what you want to intake with the air you breath.

what sort of prices for a room IQAir Purifier? 

Obvious question, what do you do when you go outside?

• Like 1

Winnie is right at the end of the day most all Air Puifiers are the same... just look for one with a standard Hepa/Charcoal filter that can be easy sourced for replacement... Then look at the size of you room and size accordingly... Then look at how well your room is air sealed... 

Btw... Diaso sells rolls of that self stick foam window/door strips for a fraction of what they charge at Central or HomePro ;-)

0660B20C-60A8-43CD-A6F9-E098AEA14634.jpeg

Edited by sfokevin

2 hours ago, tigerbeer said:

what sort of prices for a room IQAir Purifier? 

I purchased the IQAir HealthPro 250 set me back around 60,000 baht, and I know a lot of people will say I am crazy, but having had experienced its affects for a week when a friend of mine lent me his, I had no hesitation in buying one, except for the outlay, but once I got it, I knew if I even smelled one bit of smoke, of any kind, it would take it out within seconds.

It does our bedroom 48 square metres on level 3 with ease, it has 6 levels, obviously the higher the level the louder it will be, but on 3 you sleep without an issue.

Like I said before it the best on the market, and is hospital grade, some have said they have used smaller air purifiers at a fraction of the price, but I know the filters this thing has, has all the ratings, were others don't, so it boils down to your budget, and choice, no regrets here, just out of pocket 60,000 baht....lol, but the way I see it, its a lifetime investment 555 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Obvious question, what do you do when you go outside?

When I take the kids to school, exiting the house at around 7.10am, I am straight into the car and back home until the smoke clears, usually around 9.30am-10.00am then its windows open until I go and collect them at around 3.30pm, and when I return about 4.30pm its close everything up because by 5 you can start to smell it again.

If I am out, its usually after 9.30am-10.00am and I am in a Tesco or Big C store 555, but like I said, it usually clears by that time.