Prachuap Khiri Khan upgrading Singkhon Pass to boost economy

webfact

Prachuap Khiri Khan upgrading Singkhon Pass to boost economy

n20150522104651_5015.jpg

FILE photo

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN, 22 February 2017 (NNT) – Officials in Prachuap Khiri Khan province are expediting the construction of a border crossing office building at the Singkhon Pass. 

The Governor of Prachuap Khiri Khan, Dr. Panlop Singhaseni, said provincial authorities are pushing forward with the plan to upgrade the Singkhorn Pass into a permanent border crossing point to support economic and tourism growths. 

Dr. Panlop said the Department of Public Works and Town and Country Planning has received a 240-million-baht budget for the construction of the border crossing office building to facilitate the immigration process. 

He went on to say that the upgrade of the Singkhon Pass will further stimulate trade and investment along the Thai-Myanmar border.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-02-22

Cross border trade expected to rocket as Burmese road nears completion

103608_th.jpg

As officials said that the border between Prajuab Khiri Khan and Burma will soon become a fully fledged crossing came details of trade and infrastructure being readied for this eventuality.

The border is the Singkhorn crossing near the narrowest point of Thailand.

Some 240 million baht has been set aside to upgrade the crossing to a permanent one. Italian Thai have completed ground preparation work after the forestry department released 100 rai of land for the upgrade.

Figures show the large increase in cross border trade in recent years since the crossing was opened in 2013. In 2015 the value of the trade was just 126 million baht. In 2016 it was 155 million but by last year this had rocketed to 410 million.

In the four months from October to January this year the trade totaled 410 million baht, reported Ban Muang.

But this is expected to grow hugely when a road linking the border to the Burmese province of Marit is completed. So far 100 kilometers of the artery is done with the remaining 80 kms expected to be finished later this year.

Source: Ban Muang

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-22

49 minutes ago, lincolnshire poacher said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be like Phu Nam Ron, wgere you need to get your visa in Bangkok. Hopefully it be easier than that

you have a interesting forum name. I have not thought about that for a few decades.

1 hour ago, lincolnshire poacher said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be like Phu Nam Ron, wgere you need to get your visa in Bangkok. Hopefully it be easier than that

Not any more. For some time now they allow a crossing without a visa.

Most recent news is that you can do a crossing for a visa exempt entry.

IF you are talking about Dan singjorn crossing no crossing for foreigners!! just a local crossing point for Thais and Burmese

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Your posts are some of the best on this forum Ubonjoe but this time you're wrong (respectfully).

I tried crossing here numerous times, most recent in January and it is not possible for farangs just yet.

BMW Overlander

Your posts are some of the best on this forum Ubonjoe but this time you're wrong (respectfully).

I tried crossing here numerous times, most recent in January and it is not possible for farangs just yet.

Ubonjoe was replying to a post about Phu Nam Ron and quoted that post before he replied. 

From what I have been told by informed sources, the problem is not on the Thai side. Thailand wants this. Burma has been dragging it's feet. The highway they have been working on, on the other side of the border is going nowhere. It is still mostly a dirt road. And there is almost no infrastructure on that side of the border. Very primitive. There is nothing over there.

I have a friend who spent some time in that area. He said it was miserable traveling. Almost no hotels, restaurants or facilities of any sort, and absolutely dreadful roads. Horrible buses, plus the incredibly heinous Burmese govt. requires the hotels to have special permits to accommodate foreigners. So even when he could find a hotel, he could not stay there, as few had those permits. He spent a month exploring the area south of Yangon, and could not wait to return to Thailand. Burma is so far behind the curve. It could be a decade away, before this border is open and there are any decent facilities for foreigners. That bulk of that nation, is a forlorn place. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

From what I have been told by informed sources, the problem is not on the Thai side. Thailand wants this. Burma has been dragging it's feet. The highway they have been working on, on the other side of the border is going nowhere. It is still mostly a dirt road. And there is almost no infrastructure on that side of the border. Very primitive. There is nothing over there.

I have a friend who spent some time in that area. He said it was miserable traveling. Almost no hotels, restaurants or facilities of any sort, and absolutely dreadful roads. Horrible buses, plus the incredibly heinous Burmese govt. requires the hotels to have special permits to accommodate foreigners. So even when he could find a hotel, he could not stay there, as few had those permits. He spent a month exploring the area south of Yangon, and could not wait to return to Thailand. Burma is so far behind the curve. It could be a decade away, before this border is open and there are any decent facilities for foreigners. That bulk of that nation, is a forlorn place. 

Yes the road is certainly not complete  nearest town after border is  something like 80Km on a bad  road you safely say its  going to a while yet

5 hours ago, Boycie said:

BMW Overlander

Ubonjoe was replying to a post about Phu Nam Ron and quoted that post before he replied. 

Oh I see....my apologies.

On 2/23/2018 at 1:29 PM, gamini said:

from there it's not a long way to the Andaman Sea. So we should be able to get some good real sea fish instead of the farmed rubbish we get here now.

No doubt the fish in the Andaman are far better than the Gulf. The Andaman is a vast body of very deep water. The Gulf is shallow, and is polluted with drainage water, from all of the industrial estates in Ayutthaya, and from Bangkok. It fouls the water significantly. I will not swim in the Gulf. I do not trust the water, and around areas like Hua Hin, Surat, and especially Samui, there is a huge amount of waste dumped into the water.

However, it is going to be a long time until the burmese build that highway to the Andaman. And as of now, there is nothing there, except alot of marshland, and then the sea. No real towns to speak of, that can accommodate tourists. It would be a bit like visiting Angola in 1939. So, for now it remains a very, very distant dream. 

Archived