Phuket wastewater-treatment plant to empty into Nai Harn Lake

webfact

Phuket wastewater-treatment plant to empty into Nai Harn Lake

The Phuket News

1519286147_1-org.jpg

Construction of the wastewater-treatment plant at the Nai Harn Lake began last month. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET: Officials say local residents should not be worried about a wastewater-treatment plant under construction beside the scenic Nai Harn Lake as they claim that the wastewater that will be emptied into the lake – once treated – will not pose any health risks or detract from the lake’s natural beauty.

Actual construction of the plant began last month, with the government contract – dated Dec 19, 2017– stipulating that the project must be completed within 300 days – by Oct 15, 2018.

“The wastewater-treatment system project aims to solve the problem of wastewater from households, small restaurants and coin-operated washing machines (that is currently flowing) into canals (in the area),” said Kittipong Taktam Rawai Municipality Division of Public Works.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-wastewater-treatment-plant-to-empty-into-nai-harn-lake-66065.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-02-22

Problem is who will monitor if the waste water is treated correctly. A lot of money can be made by not properly treating the water and just releasing it in the lake. 

This is Thailand and with corruption being so normal, i can understand people worrying. 

• Like 2

Just shifting the problem, not fixing it.  Actually, really just trying to hide the problem. 

This is being touted as a solution, but the same lack of investment in infrastructure, or the misappropriation of infrastructure funding, will see this treatment system also dump untreated waste water into the environment. 

Those in authority here continue with their same old corrupt practices, whilst inhabitants of Phuket receive second class Governance, and 3rd World infrastructure, all the while, neighboring countries are really progressing and offering a viable alternative to Phuket for tourist.  

Certainly, the environment is suffering, which is the same environment that was Phuket's tourist draw card. 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

PHUKET: Officials say local residents should not be worried about a wastewater-treatment plant under construction beside the scenic Nai Harn Lake as they claim that the wastewater that will be emptied into the lake – once treated – will not pose any health risks or detract from the lake’s natural beauty

NOte to self : do not buy any fish from Nai Harn Lake.

Almost like local authorities are purposely trying to *** things up all over the island.  

Why can't they put this next to the local gov't offices?  They already have a big pipe that dumps straight raw sewage in front of their buildings, so why not build a plant somewhere close by and treat there instead of the lake which is enjoyed by tourists and locals alike?

I know first hand that raw sewage is dumped in front of the offices as I've had bad luck paddleboarding in that area when the valves are opened.  There's a nasty film on the water and the stench is overwhelming.

• Like 1

Almost like local authorities are purposely trying to *** things up all over the island.  

Why can't they put this next to the local gov't offices?  They already have a big pipe that dumps straight raw sewage in front of their buildings, so why not build a plant somewhere close by and treat there instead of the lake which is enjoyed by tourists and locals alike?

I know first hand that raw sewage is dumped in front of the offices as I've had bad luck paddleboarding in that area when the valves are opened.  There's a nasty film on the water and the stench is overwhelming.
I know of a wealthy expat that tried to lease that land many years ago to build a Phuket Rowing Club and use the lake for training. It was a great idea.
They wanted 150k a month and no paper trail as in no lease agreements. Just cash.
Of course now he would have been kicked off the land in a little over a decade.
It's funny because not once was it revealed to be government owned at that time. Friend of friend lol.

The wheels of corruption and scams soon expose themselves.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Normally I would like to apply Hanlon's Razor but it's getting a bit overwhelming in Phuket. Especially Rawai and Nai Harn beach...

Does some official have limited time left and tries to find *anything* that can quickly squeeze some money out of that place? First the nonsensical movie museum right on the beach which only the monks could prevent and now a waste water treatment facility right on the lake. They seem hell bent to destroy any beauty left in the area.

18 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Normally I would like to apply Hanlon's Razor but it's getting a bit overwhelming in Phuket. Especially Rawai and Nai Harn beach...

Does some official have limited time left and tries to find *anything* that can quickly squeeze some money out of that place? First the nonsensical movie museum right on the beach which only the monks could prevent and now a waste water treatment facility right on the lake. They seem hell bent to destroy any beauty left in the area.

Well the local guy does need to raise some funds to cover his legal expenses over the pier deal where some funds were determined to go on walkabout.

Another win win for phuket.

This allowes for more chinese to come to phuket..

Even now there is no more room here . There is sewage at every beach and its closing in.

There is no place to hide.

I nearly died from leptospyrosis from here so this to me is really bad news cause i think naiharn was phukets best beach. Even though on a beach scale it ranks about a 1 or 2 its still the best phuket has to offer. Not worth it.

So where are beaches a 10 in asia lets say most of indonesia for a start.

The lake is already getting all the untreated wastewater from the west side of Rawai. Hasn't anybody noticed all the small canals flowing into the lake? Really nasty water. I avoid swimming at Nai Harn when they release the water from the lake for this reason.

It won't be worse than before. If they manage to keep the plant discreet, and I don't see why not (no need to build 5 meters high decantation basins), it's a pretty good news.

I wonder why they didn't start with the Rawai side, which is getting much more waste water (and nastier). The river behind the tessaban is awful, and half of rawai beach road is smelling rotten sewage. 

On 2/23/2018 at 11:14 AM, steelepulse said:

Geography. The entire area is built on a network of small rivers, now mostly underground and used as sewers. Some of them flow into Nai Harn and the other into Rawai Beach. It's hard to say where exactly is the divide but basically this plant will treat wastewater coming from the BanBua area.

They will need to built another one next to their office in order to treat all the waste from the east and center side of Rawai.