All the malls scheduled to open in Bangkok in the next 5 years

snoop1130

All the malls scheduled to open in Bangkok in the next 5 years

By Prae Sakaowan

bnghjg.JPG

Photo: One Bangkok

It’s no secret that shopping and strolling around in an air-conditioned space is a Thai national pastime, so it makes sense that giant corporations continue to acquire land and build more malls in Bangkok.

Dinosaur Planet, an amusement park in Phrom Phong, made headlines this week when they announced that the family destination will close to make way for EmSphere, the last mall in the Em District project. People immediately began their inevitable moaning about more malls and and fewer recreational spaces.

Whether you’d like to jump on the I-hate-malls bandwagon or are excited to take a stroll in a shiny new retail paradise, here are the shopping malls scheduled to open in the near future.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/all-the-malls-scheduled-to-open-in-bangkok-in-the-next-5-years/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-2-23

Malls and brick and mortar stores are closing at an alarming rate in the US, mostly due to Amazon and online shopping. It will take awhile for it to happen here, but it will happen. For many things, I now use Lazada for better pricing and convenience. With Amazon set to start operations in SE Asia, the demise of the malls may be sooner than many people expect. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

Malls and brick and mortar stores are closing at an alarming rate in the US, mostly due to Amazon and online shopping. It will take awhile for it to happen here, but it will happen. For many things, I now use Lazada for better pricing and convenience. With Amazon set to start operations in SE Asia, the demise of the malls may be sooner than many people expect. 

I agree in some part.

But there is a huge difference in the USA and Amazon.  The delivery of products has many different systems to use.  Not so much so in Asia let alone thailand.

There is also a different attitude about shopping in Asia vs United States.

I find myself going to malls and looking for things more so then I ever do in the states. I look in Amazon when I want to buy something in the states before I ever go to a mall.

sadly, I and my family havebecome mall rats,not by choice, but as the beaches and air become more polluted and  the lack of shaddy park greenspace in the neibouhood we and many like us are left with no other options...its the future I am afraid..,,life under the dome...

8 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

Believe it or not these huge mall developers are not stupid. Central for example have just signed a deal with JD.com, the 2nd largest ecomerce company in China to tap into the ecommerce boom. TCC are in discussions with other large players. 

Malls are generally moving to a much higher F&B component over traditional shops as F&B trade continues to do well.

13 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

Not sure it will happen in Thailand. Malls in Thailand are more than a mall they are places for social gathering.  Just about any weekend or holiday they are having shows, games, exhibits etc that bring the families out.  Also Thai's like to show off by going to the mall even if they dont buy anything they like to be seen at the mall.

3 hours ago, ericthai said:

Not sure it will happen in Thailand. Malls in Thailand are more than a mall they are places for social gathering.  Just about any weekend or holiday they are having shows, games, exhibits etc that bring the families out.  Also Thai's like to show off by going to the mall even if they dont buy anything they like to be seen at the mall.

Let me re-assure you you in 5 years time they will be pulling down those malls and building homes on those sites, now you see some shops with no customers visiting most days eCommerce will take over as it has in many countries, but there are those who will say they have to feel the goods first, come back in 5 years and ask the same question and the answer will be "I can get it delivered tomorrow at home at a lower price", money talks in the end and here money does all the talking.

• Like 1