UK Adult Dependent Relative Visa

Has anyone had experience getting one of these? It needs to be attempted in my family in the coming years, to bring elderly mother over.

I have read the UK website list of eligibility factors but am totally unclear as to how one is expected to prove that:

• you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability or your age
  • the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in
  •  

Would appreciate hearing of any experiences

I don't have any experience of this category of visa, but I aware that it is seemingly "designed' to make it virtually impossible for an applicant to qualify.  This paragraph is the important one :

Where the application is for entry clearance, the applicant, or if the applicant is applying as a parent or grandparent, the applicant’s partner, must be unable to obtain the required level of care in the country where they are living, even with the financial help of the sponsor because either:

(a) the care is not available and there is no person in that country who can reasonably provide it: or

(b) the care is not affordable.

It is clear that they set the bar very high !

No personal experience, but not easy to get, you might get more information on

www.immigrationboards.com  (free to join) lots of very useful information look at section immigration for family members

or www.freemovement.org.uk they have sections on this topic, though you might have to pay

Posted (edited)

Maybe better to get her over here sooner rather then later. Several people on here wanted to move parents over but they got old too fast and could not travel, developed dementia, etc.

Edited by JimTripper

That sounds very difficult to prove Sheryl. 

Appreciate not want you want to hear but maybe the best route is for your mother to obtain a Non-Immigrant O in the U.K. and apply for an extension of stay based on retirement within Thailand. 

This would at least avoid the need for compulsory health insurance if she went down the Non-Immigrant O-A route. 

It does require ฿800,000 in the bank or the ฿65,000 monthly income method (or the help of an agent to get round this requirement).

But sounds more feasible than trying to meet the list of eligibility factors of the U.K. Adult Dependent Relative Visa which appear almost impossible for an applicant to qualify. 

Sheryl - there are a few old-age homes (though that's not what they call themselves) in Thailand - I recall one near Chiang Mai - set up for farang. This may not be what you intend for yours, but they may be worth contacting to find out how they deal with importing (pardon the term) elderly relatives on long-ish term deals.

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Maybe better to get her over here sooner rather then later. Several people on here wanted to move parents over but they got old too fast and could not travel, developed dementia, etc.

3 hours ago, skorts said:

Appreciate not want you want to hear but maybe the best route is for your mother to obtain a Non-Immigrant O in the U.K. and apply for an extension of stay based on retirement within Thailand. 

3 hours ago, isaanistical said:

Sheryl - there are a few old-age homes (though that's not what they call themselves) in Thailand

In case you hadn't noticed, this topic is posted in Visa to other Countries.

This is not a question about bring a dependant to Thailand, but getting a visa for a dependant to live in the UK.

4 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

In case you hadn't noticed, this topic is posted in Visa to other Countries.

This is not a question about bring a dependant to Thailand, but getting a visa for a dependant to live in the UK.

Exactly. Thank you. 

And the woman in question is not Thai or resident in Thailand.  Nor is her daughter. So nursing homes in Thailnd not relevant. 

4 hours ago, skorts said:

That sounds very difficult to prove Sheryl. 

This would at least avoid the need for compulsory health insurance if she went down the Non-Immigrant O-A route. 

It does require ฿800,000 in the bank or the ฿65,000 monthly income method (or the help of an agent to get round this requirement).

But sounds more feasible than trying to meet the list of eligibility factors of the U.K. Adult Dependent Relative Visa which appear almost impossible for an applicant to qualify. 

I completely misunderstood the question. Sorry for my inappropriate response. I would have deleted it if I could but there is no option. 

• Thumbs Up 1