Caught with cannabis in the islands

No passport - court in about a month, looking at the foreign office website that appears to be the standard form. For what they consider ‘small’ crimes the police can and do set bail and the amount he paid is not outrageous for a foreigner it would appear.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harrry said:

It will help to ensure he has a little money available to buy food (not really supplied) and to share it with others to get better treatment.

He won't be allowed access to cash if he's locked up.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Panaeolus said:

I would pay nothing to the police if its going to court. These guys receipts are worth nothing. The local cell is dirty but he is safe. Court will be on mainland i believe and there is new express lane for tourist cases like this one

Nonsense, if it's bail, he'll get an official receipt and it will be refunded when the case is over.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mum2 said:

Hi - do you know this for certain? Others are telling me that this is now genuine bail and I don’t know what to believe 

No, he doesn't know that for certain, not everything in the Thai system is bent.

Wait for the Embassy rep and then take his/her advice.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, buick said:

the table i read on #59 related to how long the ganja stayed in your system in the case of a urine test.  not prison time.

Yes you are right but the length of time is complete BS. The chart is completely untrue. This is also not pertinent to this thread from what I am reading.  Please google the length issue if you are interested. A urine test time is completely different that a hair follicle test as well. A person who smokes 3/4 times a week would test neg way way way under 49-63 days.  

13 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Yes you are right but the length of time is complete BS. The chart is completely untrue. This is also not pertinent to this thread from what I am reading.  Please google the length issue if you are interested. A urine test time is completely different that a hair follicle test as well. A person who smokes 3/4 times a week would test neg way way way under 49-63 days.  

Depends on body weight.  Fatty tissue and exercise routine. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Nonsense, if it's bail, he'll get an official receipt and it will be refunded when the case is over.

yes, but he will need to leave clean urine samples every month for like 6 months and then he will get the bail back. at least this is what happened to a thai friend on yaba.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mum2 said:

Thank you the embassy said to wait until they had made contact with the police station but apparently the police are not answering the phone! 

yeah they do that. tell him to wait it out in the police station. they'll send him to court in about 5 days and the fine won't be much. then he can go. and he will have learnt his lesson. no doubt it's pretty shit in the station he's in. but up to you if you just pay him out

6 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

yeah they do that. tell him to wait it out in the police station. they'll send him to court in about 5 days and the fine won't be much. then he can go. and he will have learnt his lesson. no doubt it's pretty shit in the station he's in. but up to you if you just pay him out

Useless....

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Mum2, from what you've said, so far he has successfully got to the bail position without your taking the very dodgy advice from various alarmist posters here quoting mostly hearsay about what to demand and what not to sign.  With the exception of one or two sensible posters, and ubonjoe and PoorSucker, I doubt that any of it has been of any help at all to you or your son. 

My advice would be for you to get out of this forum where you will be wound up even more and for your son to follow the process that he clearly now has to with the backup of the Embassy.  Nothing posted here is going to help his case.

Good luck.

well since the police are quite happy to ignore the embassy and cut the phone off from them i'd say your wrong. in my experience

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

well since the police are quite happy to ignore the embassy and cut the phone off from them i'd say your wrong. in my experience

How are the police ignoring the Embassy and since when does the Embassy give instructions to the RTP?  They have not cut the phone off.  Your post is a prime example of what I was referring to.

• Like 1

Just now, Just Weird said:

How are the police ignoring the Embassy and since when does the Embassy give instructions to the RTP?  They have not cut the phone off.  Your post is a prime example of what I was referring to.

well it happened to me so i can assure you there's not alot the embassy can do. either she bails him out and he doesn't learn his lesson or he sits it out in the station. he'll be safe and fed and watered, then goes to court. end off. then he flies home. sorry if my opinion isn't appreciated. just giving my view on it

14 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

He has already paid his bail and is apparently is no longer at the police station. That was posted few pages before this one.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

He has already paid his bail and is apparently is no longer at the police station. That was posted few pages before this one.

ahh ok. was a long thread. should have made him stay in the cop shop to learn his lesson IMO. anyway. good luck to him. got to love your mum 555

6 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

well it happened to me so i can assure you there's not alot the embassy can do. either she bails him out and he doesn't learn his lesson or he sits it out in the station. he'll be safe and fed and watered, then goes to court. end off. then he flies home. sorry if my opinion isn't appreciated. just giving my view on it

If you read what had gone before, you would know that he is already out on bail.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
removed a inflammatory comment
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

You do not need to assure me that there is not a lot that the Embassy can do, I didn't say that there was but the Consular rep can give advice as to the best thing to do and that is probably better than 95% of the alarmist 'advice' posters here have provided to the lady.