Caught with cannabis in the islands

1 minute ago, buick said:

mum2, i don't know if you have had time to read the thread that was posted here earlier 'brit kid caught with ganja on koh tao'.  if you haven't, take a look at post #1 and then #81.  it appears that 60,000thb bail was paid (set by police) and the 'detainee' was released but had not been to court yet.  20 days had passed btwn #1 and #81.

Where is the court, Koh Tao?

36 minutes ago, Mum2 said:

I am just not sure at this point whether they are letting him out or not.  I have told him to pay the money but they are saying it will be a month before court not 48 hours as the embassy website says. I am at a loss now

They believe there's more money to be gained from this.

Expect the figure to rise for a 48 hour release.

Your son will be frightened by the prospect of spending time in a Thai prison, but he also has to be tough with these people and draw a line under what you are prepared to pay. Taking a tough stance and saying 'that's it' is sometimes required.

If they prosecute and take a legal stance then they've lost whatever was on the table.

Play them at their own game.

• Sad 1

The lad is going to need somewhere to stay for the next three weeks from the sounds of it, Koh Samui and Koh Tao are not the cheapest places, my bet would be to take a ferry to Surat Thani where the cost of living will be much lower. Anyone?

7 minutes ago, Mum2 said:

Thanks

mum2, it is post #59 on this thread that includes the link to the other case (per my comments in #92) .  i'm sure you saw it but just want to provide this info in case you missed it due to extra stress and can track it down quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

PAY  as fast as u can, the longer u leave it, the more people involved that need to make a % of the fine.

BAIL to the police means  "pay us and leave"

DONT involve a lawyer!!  Price will go up

I have no experience with a drug case, but from other cases I have seen. This would be my advise. Don't let it get to court, don't bring in lawyers, don't let it get dragged on. Sure if you an bargain, great. But most importantly. Make a quick deal, pay up in exchange for a release and his passport an tell him to get the hell out of there. The longer this drags on the worse it will get, maybe less costly, but still definitely worse. There is no scenario in which this will get worse before it gets better. So indeed PAY as fast as you can!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Koh Tao isn't expensive for a foreigner; hostels from 200 baht a night and rice dishes from 50 baht.

Then that's good, I've not been hence I have no first hand knowledge, at least that will keep the costs down.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

This may be little consolation, but being in possession of a class 5 drug for personal use in Thailand does not involve prison time.

He will be fined by the court, deported and likely banned for a period.

The table in post 59 shows the number of days prison time based on the number of times the offender has been caught.

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

The table in post 59 shows the number of days prison time based on the number of times the offender has been caught.

That's detection times, I assume how long you can detect it in your system.  Nothing to do with prison unless I'm missing something.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

This may be little consolation, but being in possession of a class 5 drug for personal use in Thailand does not involve prison time.

He will be fined by the court, deported and likely banned for a period.

totally untrue;

Schedule V – Narcotics not listed in the previous categories, including Marijuana and Magic Mushrooms. Possession or consumption of Schedule V narcotics can result in five years imprisonment or fines of up to fifty thousand baht.

had a gf once busted in pattaya back in 84, 2 joints,  got fined 10,000 baht and 2 months in jail.

Bail can ONLY be set by court NOT by Police, so in jail he sits till monday morn, ( at earliest)   Court will be held in samui

Hopefully  the judge will have pity on him ( but dont expect it) an fine him and tell him to leave.

Make sure you have someone willing to  put money into his prison $$ account so he can get food and extras while he waits.  Expect AFTER court and he pays his fine to be made to pay for an officer  to accompany him to bangkok where he will be put in immigration jail before he is deported.

Not to alarm you but,,,,https://kohphangannews.org/general-news/koh-phangan-island-big-trouble-in-tourist-thailand-1674.html

....We can clearly see the monthly police rip offs as they cash in on their monthly ‘Full moon arrests’…Pay the cash or go to jail! A young kid sobs out a month in jail waiting to be fined £20. They can’t film those who agree to play the money game but we hear the prices being demanded. 65,000 Thai baht – £1,666 – for possessing a smidge of cannabis –

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Have him pay the 49000 as requested,  plead to the police that he has to leave in 4 days and hope to hell they don't request more. 

Drugs are always trouble.

And when he comes home trash him.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1