SURVEY: Criminal Background Checks or Marriage -- Good or Bad?

Scott

SURVEY: Criminal Background Checks or Marriage -- Good or Bad?  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was a recent thread about criminal background checks or a foreigner marrying a Thai.   The fingerprint check is used for foreigners from 13 different countries, although the countries were not listed.   Which of the statements most closely matches your opinion on the issue.

Please feel free to leave  a comment.  Also, should checks be done on both men and women?

SURVEY:   Criminal Background Checks or Marriage -- Good or Bad?

Thread running here: 

11 minutes ago, the guest said:

I would say Thailand doesn't exactly attract the cream, and therefore I'm all for foreigners being vetted.

Me too. You have got a point. So many criminals try to hide and continue their crimes in Thailand.....

• Like 1

It's already evident that all foreigners are deemed guilty of being criminals until they prove they are not.  The Thai government considers all foreign men to be security risks to Thailand. 
But they will do what they want to do.  More bureaucratic paper shuffling in order to keep the Thai public 'safe' from potential foreigner criminals.  However, reassigning those bureaucratic to policing Thais roads would make Thailand a far safer place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, the guest said:

I would say Thailand doesn't exactly attract the cream, and therefore I'm all for foreigners being vetted.

6 minutes ago, Nielsk said:

Me too. You have got a point. So many criminals try to hide and continue their crimes in Thailand.....

What about the majority of foreigners who aren't criminals? Why should they have to be vetted too just because of a few bad apples? Why are their lives here being made more difficult? Why do they have to put up with even more crap than they already do? 

As a previous poster has pointed out, a lot of people have made mistakes in the past. This doesn't mean people can't/don't change. A mistake in the past shouldn't destroy the rest of  person's life. 

I'm all in favour of kicking organized criminals, gangsters, repeat offenders, etc. out but we all know that these undesirables have the right people in their pockets so that's not going to happen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Poll seems wrong to me - should give option for 'recent' criminal history - say 5-10 years or so. Most of us were right little tykes when younger and probably have convictions for mad things in our teens. I include myself in that catagory. 

I doubt most of us have convictions.

20 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

If you don't have a criminal record................... why worry about it............... SIMPLE............

Because anyone can falsely accuse you of a crime, then what do you do?

It has happened to someone having problems with a Thai neighbour.....

• Like 1

Would it be not better to check if they are on the Police Wanted List  in their Country ? Some people done Time but are not on the Wanted list Because they have turned over a New Leaf or started a  better life.Why cause trouble for a Rehabillitated person .Some countries state ones you have a Record in you're own country one can't enter/stay in their country ,,Like the US, If one is Not on the Police Wanted list would it than be good enough for a Foreigner to have a Criminal check in Thailand before getting Married/Getting a Teaching job?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marqus12 said:

This new law ..It's about the fear of Thai men that soon they may 

have only two options available left ..gay or ladyboy marriage.

Perhaps that's their own fault?

Many Thai men treat their g/fs and wives rather badly.

One of the reasons that many Thai ladies are looking to marry a Farang is that the money is better and most often, the men's behaviour is better too.

Obviously there are exceptions on both sides.....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Only 13 countries?

But ...

“It’s better not to reveal the 13 countries. It might cause damage for the countries"  -

• Like 1

quote from original article  

"The Palad clarified that in the process of criminal background checks for marriage certificates, fingerprints will be taken during the registration process and sent to the Forensic Police.

The police are the ones who conduct the checks. They can only check for criminal records within Thailand, it is not possible to check for records in other countries,” he said."
My reading says you could have committed any crime in your home or any other country and it will not show, the only ones that may have a problem is if you have been a naughty boy  in Thailand

• Like 2

I have had one done in BKK for job in Vietnam about 8 years ago, a time consuming experience but necessary!

As for getting married IMHO this is not necessary, just more paperwork that Thais are in love with and basically just to P*s of farangs which they also love doing

Adding this to the already existing  load of of time consuming paperwork needed to marry a Thai is hardly going to  win  farangs hearts and minds.

But i suspect enterprising police will expedite  for an appropriate  fee  ...oops dont tell Little P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

quote from original article  

"The Palad clarified that in the process of criminal background checks for marriage certificates, fingerprints will be taken during the registration process and sent to the Forensic Police.

The police are the ones who conduct the checks. They can only check for criminal records within Thailand, it is not possible to check for records in other countries,” he said."
My reading says you could have committed any crime in your home or any other country and it will not show, the only ones that may have a problem is if you have been a naughty boy  in Thailand

Completely correct applicable to Thailand only like said not necessary unless you have been a naughty boy done time here in Thailand

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Poll seems wrong to me - should give option for 'recent' criminal history - say 5-10 years or so. Most of us were right little tykes when younger and probably have convictions for mad things in our teens. I include myself in that catagory. 

Shame on you.   :cheesy:

I personally have no problem with a criminal background check, actually have a certified original of mine in my personal files at home - it was necessary for something I wanted to do in Thailand.

If you are given the privilege of living in a country other than you own, you should comply with all types of reasonable security requests.

As to marriage, how about BOTH be required to present, and sign each other's copy?

My 2 cents worth.