Brits partner with Thailand over driving licences for foreigners

rooster59

Brits partner with Thailand over driving licences for foreigners

By The Nation

47687588b69cf2ecaa0a9d05b88b576d.jpeg

The Department of Land Transport has partnered with British Embassy Bangkok to improve driving licence procedures for foreign nationals across Thailand.

The improvements will focus on guidelines for obtaining a licence, how to prepare for the driving test, raising awareness of specific risks on the road unique to Thailand, and recaps on internationally recognised driving standards.

Deputy director general of Department of Land Transport Kamol Buranapong said this collaboration would help enhance the understanding of foreigners and protect their rights as road users under Thai laws. 

Foreigners can receive a Thai driving licence by receiving training about relevant laws and rules for using the roads in Thailand, and undertaking written and practical tests, Kamol said.

Margaret Tongue, deputy head of mission for the British Embassy Bangkok, said this important collaboration illustrated a shared aim of improving driving standards and raising awareness of specific risks on the roads, through developing engaging and accessible materials to aid the driving- test process. She said it would benefit not only British people, but also any other foreigners residing in Thailand.

Based on a survey conducted with British customers needing consular services, the partnership has helped kick start three initiatives that include the production of a 45-minute English language instructional video, covering road traffic laws, road usage, techniques for driving safely and driving etiquette. This is a part of the Thai driving test for foreign nationals.

Other initiatives are the production of a 3-minute English language video explaining the process for renewing, transferring and applying for a driving licence as a foreign national and re-translation of the online driving test for English speaking applicants.

The Department of Land Transport will use these materials for English speaking applicants at all driving test centres and transport offices across Thailand. This will ensure that foreign drivers are aware of road safety rules and regulations; the consequences of their own behaviour to themselves and to others; and law enforcement in Thailand.

According to the embassy, Thailand welcomes just over 1 million British visitors each year and it is home to more than 50,000 British people and their families.

Last year, five per cent of total casework of the Bangkok Embassy’s consular department involved providing assistance to British people involved in road accidents. 

The top five provinces for road traffic accidents involving British people are Surat Thani, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chon Buri (Pattaya) and Bangkok.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30339611

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-25

Just more PR crap from both sides hiding behind their desks trying to justify their salary's, a more prudent suggestion would be for the Thai's to get their own licensed, their vehicles, be it a car, truck or bike registered and insured, and the RTP being more present on the roads, fining speeding motorists as opposed to either putting the money in their pockets, and spending less time being traffic cops at schools every morning and afternoon.

Maybe tomorrow I will wake us 555

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

I really think someone is aiming at the wrong group of people if they want to reduce injuries and deaths...

This will ensure that foreign drivers are aware of road safety rules and regulations; the consequences of their own behaviour to themselves and to others; 

On the contrary they have taken a 'cattle-prod' to the authorities to try to stem the flow of deaths or serious injuries among foreigners caused by people (mainly Thai/ASEAN) who frankly cannot drive and have made millionaires of many an international undertaker...

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Nah, you need to get with the program Mr JAS.

All Thais know that EVERY traffic accident, even those involving only locals and occurring 50km from the nearest farang, is caused by the foreigners not knowing the Thai road rules.

Yep, the Embassy would have done better to train foreigners on how to mitigate the certain blame.

• Like 2

Wonder if the British Embassy would do something actually useful, like reduce the charge for the address letter that you need to get your licence. (The single most expensive part of getting a Thai licence if you can't get the letter from immigration instead.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bkk_mike said:

Wonder if the British Embassy would do something actually useful, like reduce the charge for the address letter that you need to get your licence. (The single most expensive part of getting a Thai licence if you can't get the letter from immigration instead.)

I think the only thing the British Embassy knows to do is outsource the process so as to avoid their staff from having to deal with the public.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

internationally recognised driving standards.

Whether these help much on Thai roads is of course another question, when pretty much all other motorists apart from yourself are NOT steering their vehicles in accordance with those standards.

After reading the article, I couldn't help but think that instead of focusing on foreigners this entire initiative should perhaps better be meted out to locals. 

As far as Thailand is concerned, Thais drive better. Foreigners should accept they are second-class citizens, and the lowest hanging fruit.

Doesn't matter how well you claim to drive, in a accident situation, it's gunna always be your fault.  Make sure you bring your wallet !

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

When I first applied for my Thai license, the day we had to watch the video on Thai driving, half the class simply took a nap, and those that didn't were pretty much busy on their cell phones, which they had been told to turn off.  I think there were maybe 3 of us, out of a class of about 50, that gave any attention to the video. 

What???? As many as that??

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

When I first applied for my Thai license, the day we had to watch the video on Thai driving, half the class simply took a nap, and those that didn't were pretty much busy on their cell phones, which they had been told to turn off.  I think there were maybe 3 of us, out of a class of about 50, that gave any attention to the video. 

Isn't that similar to the percentage of drivers who actually know how to drive? I believe 3 out of 50 might be a good example...

Foreigners can receive a Thai driving licence by receiving training about relevant laws and rules for using the roads in Thailand, and undertaking written and practical tests, Kamol said.

Now, if Thais also received training about the relevant laws and rules for using the roads in Thailand - that are on par with Western standards, then Thailand would be a safer place to drive.  As usual, putting the focus on the wrong population. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk_mike said:

It is actually for free if you are willing to wait 2weeks. If not it cost 500 Baht and you cam have it on the next day

Your having a laugh . I have been driving for over 50 years 16 of them in thailand i i had to take the thai driving test for motor bike and car and the 50 questions in the computer room i got 50 out of 50 on the car and 49 on the the motor bike . the practical test is a joke  . previous the the test i try to get the thai licence by producing my Uk one .. They said it was no good and i had to do the test. I have the Advance driving test in the Uk and the police certificate for advance motor cycle . 

Saying That it still  scares me to see the way the roads are used here it's not only the thais also holiday makers who i would think forget to drive on the left.  

I have never seen in the UK. 3 or 4 on a bike including a young child.  Or two bikes in line carrying long lengths of bamboo. no lights on bike and some cars. bike doing u turns . and on and on . and now they are saying in fact that foreigners need driving education for Thailand its easy just reverse the highway code . 

before any comments  i have taken the test here twice as i let my last thai licence lapse. so it was only a year ago . in all that time here i have never been ask to produce the licence . 

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I was the only one in a room of 10 people watching the whole video intently, as I thought there was going to be a written test.  Will know better next time.

covering road traffic laws, road usage, techniques for driving safely and driving etiquette. This is a part of the Thai driving test for foreign nationals.

I think this is a very welcome initiative, many of us foreigners will finally be aware that:

-scooter trumps pedestrian

-big bike trumps scooter

-toyota vios trumps big bike

-honda accord trumps toyota vios

-mercedes trumps honda

-minivan trumps all

-when more than one lane available, always drive in the rightmost

-when opening the door of  a parked vehicle, never look at oncoming traffic

-don't drive without at least a phone or a drink in your hand

-always stop for dogs. never stop for people.

• Haha 1

The training for foreign drivers is a good idea. It need only consist of a single instruction- Think of the most stupidly moronic, unthinking,dangerous and selfish action a driver could possibly perform then multiply it by 10...and that’s what to expect from Thai drivers .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

I think the only thing the British Embassy knows to do is outsource the process so as to avoid their staff from having to deal with the public.

Sounds like the US consulate

enhance the understanding of foreigners and protect their rights as road users under Thai laws. 
What rights do foreigners have have if a druken or yabba fuelled numpty drives into the back of , or pulls out in front of , or turns across the path of a
n oncoming foreigner? None.

awareness of specific risks on the road unique to Thailand, and recaps on internationally recognised driving standards.
Really? Thailand has the same standards as other international driving standards ? I don'y think so. not when I have observed Thai driving tests .

the partnership has helped kick start three initiatives that include the production of a 45-minute English language instructional video, covering road traffic laws, road usage, techniques for driving safely and driving etiquette. This is a part of the Thai driving test for foreign nationals.
What about the same being applied to Thai drivers then? I didn't do a car driving test as I ahd a UK car driving licence and as it didn't include a motor bike licence ai had to drive a bike around a school yard in the same fashion ( less so actually) than my schoolday cycling profficiency test at the age of 11 years old.

Last year, five per cent of total casework of the Bangkok Embassy’s consular department involved providing assistance to British people involved in road accidents. 
What about the other 95%, what about the fact that Rayong is the highest in Thailand for annual road deaths, not so many foreigners there, really??? So it must be Thais who are responsible for figures being so high there.

The top five provinces for road traffic accidents involving British people are Surat Thani, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chon Buri (Pattaya) and Bangkok.

15 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Sounds like the US consulate

I've never encountered an outsourced function of the US consulate.  Passport renewal, notarization, add pages to passport (discontinued) all were handled by the embassy.

With the British embassy, all public functions are handled by VFS in the Trendy Office Tower.  VFS has improved their service quite a bit, but no British embassy worker can be arsed to deal with the public.