Poll respondents reject pro-Prayut parties

webfact

By The Nation

e19024cea8a46c1aa144314df5cf1f11.jpeg

MOST PEOPLE disagree with the idea of new political parties being formed to support General Prayut Chan-o-cha returning as prime minister after the next election, an opinion survey has found.

Almost 59 per cent of respondents said they disagreed with setting up a new political party just to support Prayut. They agreed that political parties should be established with the goal of serving the public and developing the country, not to back anyone in particular or help someone retain political power.

However, as many as 35.4 per cent of respondents said they agreed with the idea, adding that it was up to new political parties to decide who they supported, and they had the right to do so in offering themselves as alternatives for voters.

The survey was conducted by Suan Dusit University involving 1,185 people throughout the country between Wednesday to Saturday.

As many as 57.3 per cent of respondents said they would not vote for a political party simply because it was new. But 42.7 per cent said they would choose a new political party that they viewed as a fresh alternative.

Prominent political figures Suthep Thaugsuban and Paiboon Nititawan recently announced plans to form new parties in support of Prayut, who heads the post-coup government and ruling junta. Another pro-military party is also reportedly in the making for the same purpose.

A junta order issued in December allows new parties to be registered and start political activities on March 1.

Meanwhile, many people believe Prayut has performed worse in many areas than a year ago, according to the results of a survey by the National Institute of Development Administration (Nida).

The latest Nida Poll found that after having been in power for three years and six months, the prime minister is seen to be performing worse than a year ago.

A total of 71.6 per cent of respondents said Prayut was working according to principles, compared to 82.4 per cent when a similar survey was conducted in February last year.

In terms of decisiveness, 68.5 per cent said Prayut had that quality, down from 84.5 per cent a year ago. Regarding transparency, Prayut had 55.3-per-cent support, compared to 67.4 per cent a year earlier.

Regarding leadership personality, 76.6 per cent of those surveyed said Prayut was running the country like a military leader, up from 65.4 per cent a year ago. Another 14.8 per cent viewed him as a democratic leader, down from 17 per cent from a year earlier.

The Nida poll was conducted with 1,250 people aged 18 and above in all regions of the country from last Monday to Wednesday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30339653

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-26

6 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

As always, one should take Thai polls with a grain of salt.

We might need a bucket of salt for the misleading headline.

Almost 59 per cent of respondents said they disagreed with setting up a new political party just to support Prayut. They agreed that political parties should be established with the goal of serving the public and developing the country, not to back anyone in particular or help someone retain political power.

Over 58 percent of respondents disagree with new party supporting PM Prayut: Suan Dusit Poll

By Thai PBS

B4D0E766-D925-47E6-87D9-7441C5687BC5.jpe

More than half of the respondents to the Suan Dusit Poll disagreed with the idea of setting up of a political party to support General Prayut Chan-o-cha as the next prime minister.

58.95 percent of 1,185 respondents opposed the idea, saying that political parties should be independent and have clear policies for the good of the people and should not support the current administration to stay on in power whereas 35.37 percent of the respondents agreed with the idea, saying having new parties will give more choices to the electorate.

Suan Dusit Poll of Suan Dusit University conducted an opinion survey by gauging the opinions of 1,185 respondents from across the country during February 21-24 on the theme: New Political Parties in the Eyes of the People.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/58-percent-respondents-disagree-new-party-supporting-pm-prayut-suan-dusit-poll/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The Nida poll was conducted with 1,250 people aged 18 and above in all regions of the country from last Monday to Wednesday.

every professional poll includes a margin of error; either these folks do not know what that is (?!) or they do not know how to calculate it (!) or they just chose not to publish it (?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

every professional poll includes a margin of error; either these folks do not know what that is (?!) or they do not know how to calculate it (!) or they just chose not to publish it (?)

I think they choose not to publish it.. you understand how it works with the margin and error and all.. You also know that everything above a 1000 people is supposed to be a "reasonable valid" pole. But only if the cross section of respondents is correct and I always have my doubts about that one.

Not that i think that the results of this poll are invalid or anything like that. Just think its hard to get a good cross section of society is hard here. 

• Like 1

Actually this is not a problem for the Junta. All they need is a very small minority in order to prevent any elected PM to be chosen, with the help of appointed senators.

Then either Prayuth will be chosen as unelected PM, or they will block any other unelected PM, that is no PM can be elected by the 2 chambers. In this second case, as discussed in another thread, there is no constitutional solution. Guess how this problem will be solved!

:sleep: It is the perfect trap!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

I think Prayuth  should step aside and let Prawit be the next sort of unelected pm, he would be much more fun.

Oh please no! Not another Karaoke King! In the past people got shot for their lousy performance in Karaoke venues. 

Amazed these sorts of polls are allowed to be published.

In the olden days, 2014, one rarely saw a result of less than 93% happy/satisfied with the Junta.

Having a yellow-ish green/cammo "party" and trying to foist Prayuth into the appointed PM's position would be a very, very bad idea.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

I wonder if this might be the result of next elections sometime: 59% against Prayut. The question is will Peu Thai win again? The longer PM is in power the less people will trust him. Will a postponed election at the end work for his opponents?

44 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Amazed these sorts of polls are allowed to be published.

In the olden days, 2014, one rarely saw a result of less than 93% happy/satisfied with the Junta.

Having a yellow-ish green/cammo "party" and trying to foist Prayuth into the appointed PM's position would be a very, very bad idea.

Good post.

I take the fact that these kinds of polls are being published as an indicator of waning power on the part of the Junta (and perhaps, a dawning realization of how truly ridiculous they were with a poll of 97% happiness).

What I think we are seeing is the beginning of the end of the fear of the current PTB. Those that were in Thailand for Suthep's rent-a-mob will remember that there came a time whereby the people in the capital weren't afraid of disregarding the government of Yingluck anymore. I think that we are seeing the onset of that same phenomenon.

Does that mean the certain end to the Junta? No. Does that mean the end of the Junta's various punishments? No. The law suits? The visits? The... interesting application of laws? No. No. No.

What it does signal is the beginning of the end of the fear.

They seem to have started out with good ideas like tackling the mini van problem in monument square, mafia taxi and motorcycle ranks and putting the BIB in their place. Now however there are no good ideas, only military spending like there is no tomorrow and fire fighting opponents and nay sayers.

2 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

They seem to have started out with good ideas like tackling the mini van problem in monument square, mafia taxi and motorcycle ranks and putting the BIB in their place. Now however there are no good ideas, only military spending like there is no tomorrow and fire fighting opponents and nay sayers.

The junta did some good things, can't deny that problem is that like with many governments they did not follow up on certain crack downs and things return back to normal. I liked the minivan GPS Idea.. but i wonder if its checked at all. 

Nobody wants army and nobody wants Prayut period. This will be evident at a poll..But he won't allow it to happen. They are still feasting around the table. Tik Tok... Watch out lol

Good ridden 

Edited by Media1

1 hour ago, Tilacme said:

All these problems would be solved if every voter could be issued with a free pair of parachute wings.

It is the dearth of parachute wings in certain segments of the population that indicates a lack of interest in bemedalled egalitarianism.

'pon reflection..one should receive two sets..the other lot to be worn on the underwear at night.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Confused 1

On 2/26/2018 at 9:38 AM, Raymonddiaz said:

My wife used to watch him on Tv every Friday. Not anymore though. She is beuaa laew!!!

My wife got bored with throwing shoes at the tv every friday night...

Learned a lot of new Thai swear words too...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

My wife got bored with throwing shoes at the tv every friday night...

Learned a lot of new Thai swear words too...

I think it is splendid,incisive,hard hitting,analytical and objective but  with a deep  philosophical trawling of the dark depths below..

Are you trying to tell me that  your wife would prefer a Thai soapie where everyone is chased around by magical snakes..?

Shame on you..

Edited by Odysseus123