Alcohol sales banned on Makha Bucha Day

webfact

Alcohol sales banned on Makha Bucha Day

The Phuket News

1519466131_1-org.jpg

The sale of alcohol will be banned this coming Thursday (Mar 1) as Thais all across the country celebrate Makha Bucha day.

PHUKET: All government offices will be closed this coming Thursday (Mar 1) as Thais all across the country celebrate Makha Bucha day. The sale of alcohol is banned by law on this day.

Makha Bucha is a Buddhist holiday, which takes place annually on the night of the full moon during the third lunar month of the year.

The event marks the anniversary of the Buddha’s first major sermon. On the full moon of the third lunar month, seven months after the lord Buddha began his teachings when 1,250 monks came together, with no prior arrangement to hear Buddha preach, Buddha ordained these monks and passed to them the basic principles of Buddhism: To eschew all evil, to do only what is good, and to cleanse the mind, along with other teachings which marked a key event in the development of the religion.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/alcohol-sales-banned-on-makha-bucha-day-66103.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-02-26
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, taiping said:

Looks like I might have to go back to making my own Chateau D'Plasticbucket which costs around 300 baht for 5 L to make, using supermarket grape juice. Result not bad but a little cloudy near the bottom of the bucket, but by that time who cares?

How do you sterilise the bucket (allegedly)?

7 minutes ago, faraday said:

How do you sterilise the bucket (allegedly)?

( Allegedly ), You can use baby bottle sterilising products, or a much cheaper alternative is a little household bleach in water, say, a capful in 20 litres, leave a couple of hours then rinse out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is anyone here familar with the subject of calendars? I'm curious to know, because while the Thai calendar is a few hundred years ahead, and has the same months as a Gregorian calendar, it seems their full-moon days and some Buddhist days fall exactly on, or one day before/after, some significant days in the Chinese lunar calendar. For example, this Thursday is the first full-moon in the third month of the Thai calendar, and Friday is the first full-moon of the Chinese lunar year. Thanks!

41 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Looks like I might have to go back to making my own Chateau D'Plasticbucket which costs around 300 baht for 5 L to make, using supermarket grape juice. Result not bad but a little cloudy near the bottom of the bucket, but by that time who cares?

41 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Leave it to settle out ( if you can :smile: ) Then rack off into bottles. Worked well in Saudi......:thumbsup:

Ah, Chateau D'Rauch. I remember it well. Chateau D'Ceres was pretty good as well. 

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, outsider said:

Is anyone here familar with the subject of calendars? I'm curious to know, because while the Thai calendar is a few hundred years ahead, and has the same months as a Gregorian calendar, it seems their full-moon days and some Buddhist days fall exactly on, or one day before/after, some significant days in the Chinese lunar calendar. For example, this Thursday is the first full-moon in the third month of the Thai calendar, and Friday is the first full-moon of the Chinese lunar year. Thanks!

Thank you for that information!   lol  What's your question? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, taiping said:

Probably tastes better than the "fruit wine" sold as Chateau D'Cardboard.

I had finally found a simple but drinkable Australian wine that was almost affordable at 249 Bt/bottle or about US $7.50 before the recent tax changes.  It is now 349 Bt/bottle, or US $11/bottle.  The wines are the Vineyards World Wines sold by Tesco Lotus.  Each type has a different colored label with kangaroo image in the lower right corner of the label.   I can get better for $3.50-$4.50 in Cambodia but that isn't a good enough reason to move. 

For those interested in brewing your own, you should know it is illegal in Thailand, but here is all you really need.

A large plastic bucket with a lid, the 5-6 gallon size of the large paint bucket, or even a plastic garbage bin with lid.

Sterilizer/Cleaner.  VWP Steriliser/Cleaner 400g Homebrew Equipment for Wine Cider & Beer Making Kits

Yeast.  This occurs naturally on grapes so crush some into your grape juice or add some brewer's yeast (NOT bread making yeast) bought from eBay.  5x Youngs Burgundy Red Wine Yeast 5g - treats 23L / 5 Gallon

For beer you need flavoring so buy a kit with all the ingredients. 

A air lock to keep bacteria that can cause spoilage out of the brew.  These will do nicely, just drill a hole in the lid so one fits tightly, add water, and start brewing.  2 Pcs S Shape Air Lock Twin Bubble Homebrew Beer Fermentation Wine Making Kit

You can tell when the fermentation is finished because the bubbling stops.  A hydrometer can tell you the alcohol content.  1/3x 255mm Glass Hydrometer Tester Measure For Homebrew Alcohol Beer Wine Making

A siphon to remove the clear wine/beer from above the yeast sediment.  65cm PVC Auto siphon 1/2'' Racking Cane Hose DIY Beer Wine Making Kit

Siphoning off the brew will leave a little yeast in the liquid.  If bottling beer then add a bit of sugar and the remaining yeast will carbonate the beer.  Put in too much sugar and too much carbonation will happen and the bottle can explode.  For consistent carbonation of beer you let the yeast eat all the added sugar during fermentation, siphon off the beer into bottles, then add a "carbonation drop", which is just a measured amount of sugar in a tablet.

Filtering through a paper coffee filter should remove (most of?) the remaining yeast for a still wine.  To be sure you remove the yeast there is a wine filter kit.  Wine Filter Kit MK4 - Better Brew for Homebrew wine, Beer & Cider Making New

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

For those interested in brewing your own, you should know it is illegal in Thailand, but here is all you really need.

Sure, but you don't need all this paraphernalia to make decent wine. Just clean the plastic bucket and lid with boiling water. Bakers yeast readily available here works fine. No air lock required, just make sure the lid is on ok. Add two or three cups of sugar. A bit of plastic tube to syphon off after fermentation stops. Done it many times, except in Kuwait used large garbage bins for extra volume -- still didn't last long.

• Like 1