Video: Tourist has just two words (repeatedly) for cabby who won't turn on the meter

webfact

10 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

I've had such a belly full of Thailand and all its underhand low life ways that i'm looking forward to leaving, it used to be  great place, this is just another aspect of Thainess.... Personally i just get out and walk away, it's not worth the childish aggravation from this lot......

I planned to relocate over the last year or so,  have a lovely Thai girl waiting but refuse to live there after considering how much endemic graft and outright criminal intent is focused against we farangs nowadays.

I lived in Thailand in the mid 80's,  sadly it's a drowning cess pit now.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

Normal hours away from tourist areas = >95%

Wee hours away from tourist areas = >95%

Tourist areas = <95%

Not true in my experience. 

As far from true as is possible. 

Doesn't bother me when they refuse to use the meter, but I’d be lying if I said it doesn’t happen a lot in certain circumstances, times and places. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Get Real said:

That man should recieve a gold medal! Just another "bad ass" - childish taxi driver that just don´t care about the rules.

How was it, where is the "BIG WIG"? Didn´t he say that all taxi drivers should follow the rules, turn on the meter and stop jerking off while having a female customer?

He did the onlöy sensible and right thing. Just walk away everytime something is wrong? That´s what a person without backbone does. You are just stating that all of of just should bend over and get F#@ked over and over again.

No you just ask the next cab who will use the meter.How does the guy not using the meter and you not getting in equate to getting f--ked. What do you plan on doing acting worse than the cab guy, in the end his choice meter or not.

7 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

yeah, come to S.E. Asia get gobby and risk getting a beating because cabbie doesn’t want to turn the meter on.... or could’ve just walked away...... these knobs bring it on themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

He looks as if he could handle himself. I know he only spoke 2 words 6 times but he sounded South African.

1 hour ago, Tom Parkinson said:

I live on Sukhumvit, so I get refused by taxis or offered set price multiple times daily. I’ve long since stopped getting too worked up over it. Life’s too short for that. 

But it that doesn’t mean I condone the practice. It’s simply not worth much of my time and effort to complain to the authorities. 

What I would love to see, however, is a phone app with the following functionality.  A taxi driver fails to respect his DLT obligation. I pull out my phone, tap the app, which turns on my camera. I take a picture of his plate. The app then brings up a number of check boxes (“Refused fare”, “Would not use meter”, “Abusive or rude driver”, “Dangerous driving”). I touch the appropriate box and then the “Send” button. The app would then send an email to the DLT complaint hotline (is there really such a thing?) and also upload the information to a web site that would keep a running (and searchable) list of offenders. 

Anybody skilled led in app development?

Bloody hell, you should patent that as there is certainly a market for it in land of scams, wonder whether it could be made to work with other thieving lying scum bags, endless options really....

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Not true in my experience. 

As far from true as is possible. 

you need to look beyond the anecdotal.  perhaps you request taxis to go away from the central parts of the city (not me), or perhaps you dress unusually well that they think you are wealthy (not me). in all the various discussions i've had with fellow expats about the woes of living in Thailand, meter issues are low on the totem pole.

11 minutes ago, Kimber said:

I planned to relocate over the last year or so,  have a lovely Thai girl waiting but refuse to live there after considering how much endemic graft and outright criminal intent is focused against we farangs nowadays.

I lived in Thailand in the mid 80's,  sadly it's a drowning cess pit now.

I guess you hang in the wrong places, no problem in CM and none on my last trip to BKK. I drove from CNX to BKK and back not one road block.

1 hour ago, Matt96 said:

no I dont. but I know that I will defend what is right without regard on repercussions. Right is right.

and, by the way, usually wins not the one who is stronger, bu the one who managed to cause fear in the enemy.

may be. but sometimes its better to become a criminal but defend your dignity.

Then you would have to be the greatest comedian I have heard because you cannot even work out what is right and what you would defend. The taxi driver was wrong in not using his meter.

So you will catch a taxi and bash the living s**t out of the driver without regard on repercussions because you are right to complain that the meter is to be turned on, by law.

You are either a troll or an absolute clown, you cannot figure out what you want to defend, the right to steal or the right to complain

ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,

• Like 2

I had step in when taxi driver got out cab with a wood club to go after a girl who slammed his door after he refused meter, I'm ex military and dealt with worse but like stay out of potential hassle/harm but this was just silly and having had hassle and seen hassle with taxi's few times I know what they can get up to :-/ fortunately it was down side of soi 3 by chinese embassy and when stepped in between him and the girl and pointed out all the cctv he backed off .
Thought mighty PM Buck Banana had fixed taxi mafia along with lotery tickets ! lol .

I live in in Singapore and how thailand could use our taxis as example of what is possible with some standards and enforced law .

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

if your saying what i think you're saying, thats a good way to get seriously hurt

31 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I'm not so convinced that taxi drivers (in BKK, anyway) don't easily make a living wage: I frequently see them counting whole wads of hundred-baht notes - and if they were so poor, they would not constantly refuse to stop when someone hails a cab. This refusal to stop (when they are showing the available sign) is getting worse in BKK - so I very much doubt that these taxi drivers are on the brink of starvation. 

For those who are only drivers (not owner drivers) ask yourself how much they're squirreling away, and how much the Taxi company actually receives. 

A "broken" meter is a double edged sword.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Then you would have to be the greatest comedian I have heard because you cannot even work out what is right and what you would defend. The taxi driver was wrong in not using his meter.

So you will catch a taxi and bash the living s**t out of the driver without regard on repercussions because you are right to complain that the meter is to be turned on, by law.

You are either a troll or an absolute clown, you cannot figure out what you want to defend, the right to steal or the right to complain

ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,

Mattel comic books IMO.  555

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Always make clear you want the meter used before you get in a taxi, if they won’t, don’t get in. 

This. Or if they won't put it on when you are inside, ask them to stop and get out.

No need for repeated swearing / bad behaviour... for one thing it slows your journey down! 

• Like 2

Just now, RickG16 said:

This. Or if they won't put it on when you are inside, ask them to stop and get out.

No need for repeated swearing / bad behaviour... for one thing it slows your journey down! 

Happened to me more than a few times,  the buggers agree to meter then don't switch it on after you get in.   On one occasion I had to open the door just to get him to stop so I could get out, he was that quick.

There is a class of taxi that was 'grandfathered' in before meter use, and other 'newer' restrictions like age of the car and size used, newer 'metered' taxis can only be used for about 10 years and has minimum engine size(and resulting interior)

so these 'old' plate taxi is often running on a tiny Vios on really old beat up corolla

usually the color is black and yellow with the ทก or มก licence plate 

The plate can be transferred to a new car, so the plate is worth a lot more than the car and very likely mafia owned

so if you see a Taxi like these, don't argue over the use of meter, they won't even have them installed

1381856186-photoJPG-o.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

you need to look beyond the anecdotal.  perhaps you request taxis to go away from the central parts of the city (not me), or perhaps you dress unusually well that they think you are wealthy (not me). in all the various discussions i've had with fellow expats about the woes of living in Thailand, meter issues are low on the totem pole.

I am writing from 16 years experience of living in Bangkok.

There is nothing anecdotal about my comments. 

I travel normal routes, if the bts is operating I use that. 

I never said meters were an issue with me. They won’t use, I don’t get in. 

I don’t care if a taxi refuses the meter or not, it’s their choice. 

Just as it is mine to refuse to use those who will not. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

He didnt "hit" you though .

You ask why you would" want to show anything to anybody" , but why would you want to show how tough you are to anybody ?

BTW , are you from the USA ?

Lol.... even the cousins aren’t that ignorant... far from it.

7 hours ago, Matt96 said:

you too like to to offend people without repercussions? you better do it anonymously

One would have to be awfully biased, stupid even, if One didn’t realize that the taxi driver was the offender ( the person breaking the law),.... most probably in an attempt to steal money from his tourist customer

This then makes the bloke voicing his opinion ( vs breaking the law) the victim who should be responding... and seemingly, in your book, that means with violence.

so... scenarios

1/(as happened) taxi driver breaks the law and is sworn at by his intended victim

2/ (your preference as shown in multiple posts) taxi driver breaks law and is beaten by his intended victim.

me... I think scenario one is better... and as far a f yous go, they weren’t very heartfelt.... my missus would have done better!