Video: Tourist has just two words (repeatedly) for cabby who won't turn on the meter

webfact

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

you just not let it upset you and just walk/drive away.

why should I if I have a possibility to punish the offender?!

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Some people may be annoyed , agitated or upset about something and become abusive towards you

if they are adult sane people and cant control themselves - it's their own problem and mistake. I will make them to pay for it.

no mistake should be left unpunished.

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If someone is acting stupid , dont respond by acting stupid as well , be the bigger man

i remember this blatant manipulation since childhood : "he hit you but you walk away, show that you are bigger and more clever"

why should I want to show anything to anybody?! I don't care of what people think of me. What I want is to punish an offender whatever it takes. that's all

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, DM07 said:

and no: I am not bashing! I met a bunch of good and friendly taxi- drivers ...and a great-a-bunch of a- holes, who deserve a loud and clear ...whatever he said!

so why dont you go back home. seems like Thailand will not cry...

Yes, it could have been dangerous.  He's lucky he didn't get a savage beating by a dozen or so taxi drivers angry at how their mate lost face...how dare he?!  It's a sad state of affairs, when tourists need to be aware that they shouldn't say anything when being ripped off, due to the risk of severe violence.  The situation exists because for decades, people have ignored it and backed down to these bullies.   

I personally, would have just gotten out of the taxi, not said anything at all but left his door slightly ajar rather than making a big scene.  

This is just another  example of how taxi drivers are allowed to get away with anything.  Go where they want, charge what they like and YOU are in the wrong if you dare say anything <deleted>!?.  Just another example of short sighted people damaging Thailand's reputation.  

I remember getting into a taxi only to be told "I only go to the airport" he seemed to have missed the first day of taxi school where they explained the concept of a taxi.

Uber has recently sold it's Thai interests to Grab.  I'd highly recommend trying them.  I use them on a regular basis.  The driver are always polite and safe.  It's cheaper than a taxi and I've never had any issues with being ripped off.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

i remember this blatant manipulation since childhood : "he hit you but you walk away, show that you are bigger and more clever"

why should I want to show anything to anybody?! I don't care of what people think of me. What I want is to punish an offender whatever it takes. that's all

He didnt "hit" you though .

You ask why you would" want to show anything to anybody" , but why would you want to show how tough you are to anybody ?

BTW , are you from the USA ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sushi5734 said:

It's a sad state of affairs, when tourists need to be aware that they shouldn't say anything when being ripped off, due to the risk of severe violence.

it's normal and good state of things when people have to mind what they say and not ro offend others.

you i the west get used to the idea that you can say whatever you want, offend people without repercussions. this is not the case in Thailand. that's one of the reason why I love Thailand so  much.

it's so easy for you to say "<deleted> you". not in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

but why would you want to show how tough you are to anybody ?

no I dont want to show tough. I want to punish. its not the same

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

BTW , are you from the USA ?

thanks God, I am not. otherwise how I would look en eyes of people whose countries were destroyed by this world parasite?

I wish the doorman would have stayed out of it and stop closing the damned doors.  This cheating taxi driver should be penalized by having to close his own doors.  Another great thing to do is start taking pictures of the drivers and their licenses and posting them online, as well as getting official statements from the police with their response to each incident.  :-)  I would also suggest leaving a nice durian surprise in the back seat for these ripoff artists.  At the same time, we've all heard stories about the macheti weilding taxi drivers going berserk, so I'm not the sort to escalate these things.  But I'm glad this guy is on the job.  

Edited by wealthychef

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Could be that you just "want to punish" and you are just looking for an excuse to punish someone ?

not at all. I never ever start a conflict intentionally, try my best not to provoke people. but if nevertheless they loose control and start to slur - I punish.

1 minute ago, wealthychef said:

I would also suggest leaving a nice durian surprise in the back seat for these ripoff artists.  

if you will make the car impossible to work on - you will pay for it. twice.

you don't like the taxi? don't use it. complain.

or if you are going nasty - pay the f*cking price.

2 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

it's normal and good state of things when people have to mind what they say and not ro offend others.

you i the west get used to the idea that you can say whatever you want, offend people without repercussions. this is not the case in Thailand. that's one of the reason why I love Thailand so  much.

it's so easy for you to say "<deleted> you". not in Thailand.

People perhaps need to mind their behaviour too, no?  A culture where shameful behaviour is not shamed, is not beneficial to anyone except those behaving badly.

All too often the loss of face, is used as an excuse to threaten or use violence.  Fortunately, in this case the taxi driver kept a cool head and the security guard diffused the situation calmly.   Anyone who has lived here for any length of time will immediately recognise this as a very risky encounter for the tourist.  It doesn't always end up with everyone going their separate ways.  

We are all familiar with the scenario....

I tried to rip you off.  You used bad words and exposed my poor behaviour, therefore I am justified in physically attacking you.  

Some people in this country need to lose face, if things are ever going to improve.  

• Like 1

Just now, Matt96 said:

if you will make the car impossible to work on - you will pay for it. twice.

you don't like the taxi? don't use it. complain.

or if you are going nasty - pay the f*cking price.

I'm just suggesting leaving a bag of durian in the back seat.  Not smearing it on the interior.  Just make the lazy taxi driver get off his ass and pay a small price for his racist cheating.  It's no more nasty than the blatantly illegal practice of not using the meters.  

As I said, I don't have the balls to stand there and say "<deleted> you" to a taxi driver in Thailand as you never know what weapon they will pull out.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sushi5734 said:

People perhaps need to mind their behaviour too, no?  A culture where shameful behaviour is not shamed, is not beneficial to anyone except those behaving badly.

what exactly are you talking about? what is shameful?

4 minutes ago, sushi5734 said:

Fortunately, in this case the taxi driver kept a cool head and the security guard diffused the situation calmly.

and he was terribly wrong. now tourists will watch it and conclude it's ok to say <deleted> you to a Thai

all unpunished wrongdoing cause more wrongdoing

5 minutes ago, sushi5734 said:

I tried to rip you off.  You used bad words and exposed my poor behaviour, therefore I am justified in physically attacking you.  

no. I offered my conditions. instead of refusing to accept the politely and go away in peace you offended. me. I will make you regret.

6 minutes ago, sushi5734 said:

Some people in this country need to lose face, if things are ever going to improve.

improve? for whom? for you?

Thai people live and work to make life for them better. not for you. they live how they like - according to their way of thinking, not yours. if you cant accent it - go back home.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I'm just suggesting leaving a bag of durian in the back seat.  Not smearing it on the interior.

which is illegal by public transport code and will cause an irreparable damage to the car. dont pretend you have no idea about repercussions of leaving a durian in the car.

you can play a comedy here, but Thai judge will not be impressed, believe me. he've seen many drama plays before.

8 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

It's no more nasty than the blatantly illegal practice of not using the meters.  

so if he broke the law it somehow gives you a right to  break the law yourself and cause a big damage?

hahaha

10 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

As I said, I don't have the balls to stand there and say "<deleted> you" to a taxi driver

so if you can't tell him what you want due to cowardice you prefer to  foul him sneaky!

bravo!

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Always make clear you want the meter used before you get in a taxi, if they won’t, don’t get in. 

waste of time for most of us, as they will turn on the meter nearly all of the time - it's only in the tourist trap areas you need to be aware of these things and make sure the meter is going to be used.

on a related point, taxis are not supposed to deny a fare based on destination.  i always tell them my destination before getting in, and if they refuse, i engage in the petulant act of only partially closing the door so they need to stop and shut it themselves.  i'm a good actor, and make this a purely passive aggressive act, giving the impression that i really meant to fully close the door. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

i always tell them my destination before getting in, and if they refuse, i engage in the petulant act of only partially closing the door so they need to stop and shut it themselves. 

why can't you just say no and get out of of the car?

11 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

why can't you just say no and get out of of the car?

I don't get into the car if they refuse to follow the law and agree to take me to my destination.  causing them a moment of frustration by having to stop to close the partially closed door is the small penalty they are being forced to pay for breaking the law.  they are lucky i don't take a picture of their license and report them to the authorities!!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

I don't get into the car if they refuse to follow the law and agree to take me to my destination.  causing them a moment of frustration by having to stop to close the partially closed door is the small penalty they are being forced to pay for breaking the law.  they are lucky i don't take a picture of their license and report them to the authorities!!

Why do you not take a picture and report them?  

1 minute ago, wealthychef said:

Is it cowardice to prefer not to have a macheti pulled on me?  It would be foolish to confront a lawless punk.

1) how do you know he is a lawless punk and going to pull on a machete? because he is a Thai and a taxi driver? what a bigotry!

2)if you do this you also break the law - so no better than him. but damage, caused by you, is much higher, that the one caused by him

3) if you think he breaks the law why dont follow the law - write down his number and complain?

51 minutes ago, keithpa said:

It is better to die as a man than to live as a coward.

Says the man who is still alive .

Wonder what all the dead "real man" would say ?

If you could ask a dead hero , whether he would rather be a dead hero or an alive coward, wonder what he would say

• Like 1

This is a better idea The Land office should start a problem " If you take a cab and they do not turn on their meter then the ride is Free"

This would curb the problem in a very short period of time

If you think this will work then Like this posting Maybe we can get some movement on this

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

1) how do you know he is a lawless punk and going to pull on a machete? because he is a Thai and a taxi driver? what a bigotry!

Because he is a Thai taxi driver that is breaking the law by not using the meter when he knows it's the law.  That makes him a lawless punk.  The bigotry is on his part, that he does this to Falang and not to Thai.  I would say the same him were he a white guy ripping me off.  

2)if you do this you also break the law - so no better than him. but damage, caused by you, is much higher, that the one caused by him

Leaving a bag of durian on a car seat for 5 minutes does not do irreparable damage, I disagree.  You are being overdramatic for whatever reason.  

3) if you think he breaks the law why dont follow the law - write down his number and complain?

Good point.  I shall do so more.  I usually just ride my motorbike though now.