New laws provide greater protection for people who rent property in Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

foolishness; must be a lot of these law-makers that own 4 properties

Seems silly.I Agree. I'd like to Confirm that regulation.  May be a mistranslation from Thai. Hope to view original regulation in Thai one sunny day.

4 minutes ago, geisha said:

Any mention of obligation to Notify at immigration for people renting ?

Many people say that their owners won’t comply . I would have thought this point very important.

It seems the regulations not always enforced to the exact description. I've taken this approach.  I'm a foreigner. I go to report TM30 for anytime away from my apartment more than 24 hours. No exceptions.  Can't lose that way.  Except for your wasted time. 

• Haha 1

Hmmm............for the last 7 years I have paid my rent annually in advance in return for a 12.5% rate cut, and as the lease has been renewed each year there have been no rent increases in that time. Changing my lease to monthly could also see rent rise to the current monthly price, which has increased by 25% over those 7 years.

I have an excellent relationship with my landlord, hoping he ignores the new legislation.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Some of it is good, some of it is impractical and stupid. There are incredibly poor tenants as well as poor landlords, so landlords need protection as well.

Poor landlord?

You have to take care and do maintenance of the property.

And for that you collect rent and a part is for the maintenance.

There is no poor landlord. Only people who not take care.

And this new law address some of the problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

"Additionally, a tenant now has the right to terminate their contract at any time, providing they give 30 days written notice to the landlord."

So what's the point of having a contract at all for more than 30 days?

yeah.  While I would never sign any long term lease that did not have some sort of escape clause, maybe an extra penalty for early termination, etc.  But to allow all long term leases to be able to be so simply broken may not be so fair to the landlord.  Can the landlord terminate the lease with 30 day notice?  That would be unfair to the tenant.

47 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

Poor landlord?

You have to take care and do maintenance of the property.

And for that you collect rent and a part is for the maintenance.

There is no poor landlord. Only people who not take care.

And this new law address some of the problems.

I meant poor in a responsible way not financial. Yes tenants need protection from unscrupulous landlords, but also there are many tenants who are unscrupulous and landlords should have law and recourse against them to. Not just a one way street.

• Like 2

They kind of ruined it with the 5 or more properties stipulation.

I’ve been a landlord and a renter and every landlord screwed us in some way (all Thais of course).

However the rule that allows people to bolt on one month’s notice isn’t fair to landlords. A lease is signed for a reason. Normally if you violate the lease you forfeit your security deposit. That’s only fair.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomster said:

One month is the standard deposit in the UK for example, the 2 months deposit normally done here is unreasonable. It seems to exists so agents can charge a full month commision which on properties worth more than 10k is quite frankly ridiculous.

One month deposit and an agency fee is much more realistic, anything that moves the market towards this is a positive move.

I disagree. A first month rent a last month rent AND a one month security deposit are fair to charge. I actually doubt just one month is normal in the UK especially in a transient area like London . What many tenants think is ok when just first month rent and a one month security deposit is taken is that when they decide to leave they don’t pay their last month rent and think that the security deposit will/ can cover it. That is complete BS and there would be no reason for a security deposit in the beginning if that was ok.  There is sometimes damage that would need to be deducted and sometimes there is none. A thirty day period for the landlord to pay back the deposit is also fair but I do believe if it is not paid back within 30 days then the landlord should pay a penalty. As for an agency fee what is wrong with that? If you really find a great apartment that fits all your needs then just pay it and live in the place two or three years or more.  It is a one time fee and  the agent has to do work in order to rent it and prepare lease etc. Some people look at 15 or more apartments with an agent then complain about a fee!  Sometimes it takes just one or two viewings of places and you find your dream home ( then you saved yourself A LOT of time and should be happy to pay the agents fee). 

Many foreign and Thai renters here especially in Pattaya, Bangkok and Chiangmai are just not the best and some are wonderful. Landlords are the same but many times you don’t even deal with a landlord just the buildings staff here and that is convenient. Some landlords are great too. It’s a two way street but many posters on TVF come out on these rental threads and show their true ugly colors ( not you) and they are just crappy people in general and crappy tenants as well. 

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I think the 30 day's notice is reasonable, assuming the tenant forfeits the security deposit. 

I hope you mean they pay their  last month rent ( after giving the 30 day notice) and the security deposit of one month rent is used as a early termination/ lease break fee. If that’s not what you mean then I call BS! 

Edited by alex8912

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"Additionally, a tenant now has the right to terminate their contract at any time, providing they give 30 days written notice to the landlord."

So what's the point of having a contract at all for more than 30 days?

I agree...No point at all, 30 day contracts from now on lol what a load of crap.