Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Thanks a lot for the update, I knew that you’re a good human being, but I’m not so sure about your friends. If that’s true, they should receive the first award in human stupidity, signed by a high Mafiosi from Italy.

Imagine, they both knew of the artificial money, but both decided to give it a go and both exchanged one bill at the same time? That beats everything that I’ve yet heard about dumb criminals. Sorry, not wanting to hurt you.

Another part I was wondering and actually waiting for to hear. Let’s say Mrs. X and Miss Y are planning such a coup, but get caught. They were lucky enough that they could stay outside for a while.

You don’t have to be a genius, but with the help of the internet it would be so easy to find “green borders” to Mae Sot and you’d be in Myanmar, within a blink of an eye.

No passport would you think will be a problem? Well, a trip to the American embassy and out of the country, even with a stopover in Bangkok. They can’t come back anyway, the way I see it.

I don’t say that I would flee, but I know somebody who did. And if I’d look at 10 years of a Thai prison, I might stop praying too. Have a good one. Cheers.

Cheers.

Just to clear one thing up. Only one bill was being excanged with both women present. The way I explained it came out wrong. Just wanted to clear that up (before someone makes up another story based off that lol?).

Thanks for being open to understanding and being reasonable about things once explained further!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Here are three examples of what usually happens when someone gets caught with fake money.

Would the story be true, you'd at least read an article in Bangkok Post, or on Thai PBS/. 

The third link is about a woman who got caught when she wanted to buy something with a fake 1,000 baht note. 

What sort of information was there between police and the Chiang Mai court that a backpacker wouldn't know about it?

Would there be proof that the story is true, nobody would even think that the story isn't true.

I believe that all these three stories ( see links) are true, guess why?

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/indian-man-arrested-trying-exchange-fake-us-dollars/

http://thairesidents.com/local/iranians-held-fake-us-dollars-pattaya/

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/woman-arrested-shopping-counterfeit-money/

Do you think every such crime is covered by the news and there are no others out there involving foreigners aside from what is reported in these articles? 

13 hours ago, sanemax said:

Everyone in every Country in the world knows that if the police arrest you, you get taken to Court

That’s not necessarily true in Thailand. For minor offenses and people not considered a flight risk bail can be granted at the station. 

They had posted that they were detained by the tourist police. Then transferred to the district police. This was on a weekend. They were then held until court on Monday, granted bail, paid, went back to the station and then released. This is all what should be expected in the process. One could possibly guess but it’s unlikely and one can see from her posts they didn’t seem to understand what would happen next. 

I know all of this because I was involved in a court case as a plaintiff. This was a foreign-owned auto dealer who tried to scam me, another TV member and at least 3 more cases they we heard about at the court. Despite this being many millions of Baht, a foreigner, and a rather high profile auto dealer there was no press on it at all. Lack of press doesn’t necessarily mean no crime happened, as suggested elsewhere. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

No passport would you think will be a problem? Well, a trip to the American embassy and out of the country, even with a stopover in Bangkok. They can’t come back anyway, the way I see it.

I don’t say that I would flee, but I know somebody who did. And if I’d look at 10 years of a Thai prison, I might stop praying too. Have a good one. Cheers.

I dont think that that would be a possibility now a days though .

They would have to make a false police report , as a police report is necessary when making a new lost/stolen PP application .

Also , new passports are linked to the old passports , when you depart Thailand, when you entered will show up on their computer , photos as well aand they will more than likely have been flagged by immigration , to stop them leaving .

It may well be possible to circumnavigate the requirements , but getting caught will get them in even bigger trouble .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Makara said:

Cheers.

Just to clear one thing up. Only one bill was being excanged with both women present. The way I explained it came out wrong. Just wanted to clear that up (before someone makes up another story based off that lol?).

Thanks for being open to understanding and being reasonable about things once explained further!

OK, now we are getting somewhere .

Exchanging ONE bill is not as significant as exchanging 1000 $ worth

And exchanging just one bill may not be important enough to get media attention.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Makara said:

Both found the money in Cambodia backpacking out in a remote area. Split money. Both went to exchange one bill. Found it was fake and tourist police were called. Money confiscated. Both arrested. In jail for 2 days. This is when the significant others started posting and  set up gofundme and this is when the misinformation started due to lack of communication while in jail.

They paid bail from their own and only money. They have to check back every 12 days. The proceedings have been prolonged and court canceled. To my understanding the authorities can have them check back, up to 84 days, every 12 days while investigation happens. And even after the 84 days they can prolong it more is what I have been told. They can basically do what they see fit to do.

As why it is not in media:

All in my humble opinion and information I have gathered from people who have experience with this...First off I feel that it all has to do with payoffs and money. Secondly I feel that info will not be released until investigation is over. I have also been told not everything is in the media when incidents like this happen. Depends on the depth of crime. 

They are facing 1 to 15 years in prison and or heavy fines and banned. I feel they will prolong it as long as possible. They cannot leave and do not have passports while this process is happening. They are following all the rules and doing all they can to comply to everything that has been asked of them. 

Anyone can find fake U.S. notes all day everyday in Cambodia. It blows around down the street. It is obviously fake. Anyone would recognize that especially some from U.S. A lot of foreigners think Thai people are stupid. Not so. These women are just scamming backpackers. Rip off a bank then run a gofundme appeal.

/pm/content/2003/s839839.htmwww.abc.net.au

11 hours ago, Makara said:

I am not giving you or this forum any personal info and heck if I know the person who cancelled it. It is my understanding that this is what they do with foreign cases. They set dates, cancel them, set them, cancel them and draw out the process as long as possible to apply stress and pressure on the accused.

The Thai Police are generally quite fair to Westerners , quite often even being more lenient with Westerners than Thais .

The Police generally do not like or want long drawn out cases , they want a solution as soon as possible , they dont want investigations , interviews and paperwork and Court appearances .

Quite often the Police will get the problem sorted out there and then , even if laws have been broken : Say if two people had a fight and property got broken , the Police would show up , speak to both parties , find out who was in the wrong , get everyone involved to come to an agreement and who pays who for what and thats the end of it .

They just want an amicably agreeable solution, rather than wanting to prosecute people .

Why this case is being drawn out (I expect) is because the girls are sticking with their story of them believing that the money was real , had they admitting that they knew the money was fake immediately , the case would have probably got dealt with on the following Monday in Court .

In Thailand , if you admit everything immediately , your sentence automatically gets halved , had the girls admitted everything immediately , they probably would have just gotten a fine and a suspended sentence .

Apologise to the Judge , say they've never done anything like this before and it was a one off stupid mistake .

Pleading not guilty and denying everything  , lying in Court , trying to deceive the Judge will leave them open to severe punishment .

Defense Layers are sometimes incompetent and there only concern is themselves, how much money they can get from the Case , sometimes even working together with the prosecution to drag the case out .

The girls would have been better off admitting everything immediately , holding their hands up and pleading for leniency 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

How much was the bail because it seems they was on a low budget tour why that money coming from 

It definitely, most likely probable seems that to me too. There is a lot more to this than meets the eye, I wonder if someone high up  is involved???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Another 1 class quality tourist 

1. If you travel around the world you need more than small cash money 

2. You need a  backup credit card if lose your money 

3. Stay home if you not have enough money for travel and get a job 

He could be an active TV member...

He has the traits

• Haha 1

On 22/3/2561 at 2:24 PM, keithpa said:

It definitely, most likely probable seems that to me too. There is a lot more to this than meets the eye, I wonder if someone high up  is involved???

• Advanced Members
  • 538 posts
  On 22/3/2561 at 2:19 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

How much was the bail because it seems they was on a low budget tour why that money coming from 

'...It definitely, most likely probable...'

You need to rewrite your comment for some clarity, please...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, my friend I said:

kIfrBy1.jpg 

If you think that he's alone....the one photo shows an ex-teacher selling food which is clearly not allowed. Now I understand why Thais hate us more and more. And to be honest, I feel a bit ashamed too. Please see: Thailand is sick of backpackers begging for money to get home

https://twitter.com/ImSoloTraveller

Bearded beggar in Bangkok.jpg

Beggars.jpg

ex teacher seeling food.jpg

Music asshole in bangkok.jpg

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

• Advanced Members
  • 538 posts
  On 22/3/2561 at 2:19 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

'...It definitely, most likely probable...'

You need to rewrite your comment for some clarity, please...

Why?? 

54 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

If you think that he's alone....the one photo shows an ex-teacher selling food which is clearly not allowed. Now I understand why Thais hate us more and more. And to be honest, I feel a bit ashamed too. Please see: Thailand is sick of backpackers begging for money to get home

https://twitter.com/ImSoloTraveller

Bearded beggar in Bangkok.jpg

Beggars.jpg

ex teacher seeling food.jpg

Music asshole in bangkok.jpg

I am ashamed too but Thailand can fix it easy when you come Thailand you need show 20k and if/when go immigration they have to ask too 

I am sure so meny come here on a to low budget and make real foreigners bad reputation but this tread is about scam from two ladies........

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

I am ashamed too but Thailand can fix it easy when you come Thailand you need show 20k and if/when go immigration they have to ask too 

I am sure so meny come here on a to low budget and make real foreigners bad reputation but this tread is about scam from two ladies........

Using my imagination, I could see them begging for money on the roads in Bangkok as well. Aeeh wait, they didn't make it to Khao san.........:shock1:

It's quite understandable that Thais are fed up with people who want money and then party the money away and blame them for being stupid. 

BTW, what's 20K? People spend that in two days and then go begging. How can the ex-teacher sell Moo Ping? he must know the laws. 

Edited by jenny2017

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

Using my imagination, I could see them begging for money on the roads in Bangkok as well. Aeeh wait, they didn't make it to Khao san.........:shock1:

It's quite understandable that Thais are fed up with people who want money and then party the money away and blame them for being stupid. 

BTW, what's 20K? People spend that in two days and then go begging. How can the ex-teacher sell Moo Ping? he must know the laws. 

20k is 20000 baht immigration can ask to see if you want enter Thailand they can ask for see you have money for holiday I just come home so I tried to find the law right now

2 -3ago there was so meny farangs with no money and overstay just here in jomtien they always begging for money but only for go buy beer but they gone now meaby immigration have clean that up 

Personally I will never give money to beggars 

2 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

20k is 20000 baht immigration can ask to see if you want enter Thailand they can ask for see you have money for holiday I just come home so I tried to find the law right now

2 -3ago there was so meny farangs with no money and overstay just here in jomtien they always begging for money but only for go buy beer but they gone now meaby immigration have clean that up 

Personally I will never give money to beggars 

I’ve sent the poor bloke who’s just lost his leg a few bucks because I believe that he deserves it. But not some <deleted> who want to have another beer.

It’s so sad to see more and more foreigners begging, others steal handbags or other things.

Not long ago, when I had to wait for my doctor’s appointment at the local hospital, but when a Thai woman in front of me realized that a Farang sat behind her. She immediately took her bag she had on the chair next to her and put it on her lap. I was well dressed, necktie, shirt long sleeves, but many of them seem to believe that we’re all same.     

But I'd never give some foreign beggars beer money, sorry, that's insane. 

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, lovelomsak said:

Odd huh. 

American women find fake American money on the street in Thailand. Just happened to be American cash not Thai, Russian, Chinese etc.

I  quess american's find American money on the street other countries probably only find their countries fake money on the street also.

Appears some people have no pride will ask for money for anything. And apparently way more than they even need. Make cash from a crime seems to be the standard now

''Make cash from a crime seems to be the standard now'' ........it certainly does in Thailand! No 1 'profession' there I would say.

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Those "supernotes" must have blown a long way , all the way from South Korea to Cambodia , was there a hurricane in the area at the time when they found them ?

They even made there way all over the world...crazy. 

5 minutes ago, Makara said:

They even made there way all over the world...crazy. 

Has their story changed again ?

Are they now saying that the money wasnt actually Cambodian ghost money , but it was North Korean fake money ?

• Sad 1