Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

5 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

So.... the OP is actually based on an American news outlet, with no Thai source, only heresay (or BS) from the people involved in the gofundme “campaign”

unless i I missed something... which is all together possible.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

It's hardly public.  Most of the news on this is occurring on this board.  Scammers have answers to unanswered questions and raised eyebrows.  How will inquiring minds reply to "we paid the police a bribe to get the matter dropped and our passports back.  thank you soooo much!  love you all!"

Public in the US 

1 minute ago, Makara said:

So I am saying goodnight now. I see most of you don't care to listen and just really, really, really, want this to be a scam (for some reason). I am seeing that you aren't understanding how close everyone in the North West's (United States) ties are.

Yes, it's a shame you haven't been able to do a better job at convincing us that this does not smell of scam.

6 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

It's hardly public.  Most of the news on this is occurring on this board.  Scammers have answers to unanswered questions and raised eyebrows.  How will inquiring minds reply to "we paid the police a bribe to get the matter dropped and our passports back.  thank you soooo much!  love you all!"

So wait, what you are saying is they can bribe the police to get out of this situation and that is why they started the gofundme? Like extortion on the police's end? Is that what you are saying?

7 minutes ago, Makara said:

So I am saying goodnight now. I see most of you don't care to listen and just really, really, really, want this to be a scam (for some reason). I am seeing that you aren't understanding how close everyone in the North West's (United States) ties are. I see you think it is absolutely absurd to start a gofundme page where friends, family, friends of friends, strangers who care would want to help an intense situation. I came here to give a different perspective and to put in plain view they could not get away with this being a scam AT ALL here. Like not even for a second. Especially with it being beyond public knowledge what is happening. I have concerns and questions, but it looks like to me you aren't or wouldn't be willing to listen and have a decent conversation about them anyway. I hoped to reach some people by assuring you that a scam could not happen like this, not with this kind of caliber. I could have been a bridge, but it looks as though you don't want a bridge. Came to test that out and it seems none of what I have said matters to most. Most will hear what they want to hear, and I hope if anything this whole "scam" thing (that most are so sure about) will get vindication soon enough. 

No no no... we want to listen.... everything that happens in Thailand, especially to farangs, has a chance of impacting on us.

but.... you seem to think you are saying something, when in reality, you are not.

salient points to make, in your efforts to raise awareness (or extra money... although needing 50k usd is rubbish), would/should include something... anything... other than heresay or opinions from beneficiaries of any donations

anything, no matter how small, from a local source, would probably do it... would be that bridge you so desperately want... would lead to the decent conversation that you want... until then, there is little hope that this will be viewed as anything other than yet another scam.

its up to you to do this... as your a friend in a community with such close ties... surely someone with close ties has definitive answers... and... numb nuts saying he can’t comment because of lawyers advise, as in the OP link, is pure unadulterated BS... statements in the US press, advertising fundraising, or on a gofundme page, won’t effect undue justice in thailand

Edited by farcanell

2 minutes ago, Makara said:

So wait, what you are saying is they can bribe the police to get out of this situation and that is why they started the gofundme? Like extortion on the police's end? Is that what you are saying?

no, i'm saying that there's a good chance they haven't had any dealings whatsoever with the police.  the entire story is just made up to start the gofundme account.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Nope there has been nothing official , nothing to show that they have even been arrested .

All the info is coming from their fund raising/FB page .

Nothing official (or anything unofficial) from the Police, Courts or Media or anywhere else .

Just their Facebook /fund me pages .

No word from the girls for a few days either

There was just an update earlier today on the gofundme page from the girls about their current case. Perhaps go look.

3 minutes ago, Makara said:

I think that he was saying that the girls will say that , to give an explanation as to what happened to the money .

I do also think that you are trying to make a suggestion , or to push that explanation as to where the money will end up .

Getting an alibi in first , just like the girls did , in posting on FB about finding the money .

2 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

no, i'm saying that there's a good chance they haven't had any dealings whatsoever with the police.  the entire story is just made up to start the gofundme account.

Nope not possible. And if that was ever the case they would never be able to come back to the North West. They would be chastised. 100%

6 minutes ago, Makara said:

So I am saying goodnight now. I see most of you don't care to listen and just really, really, really, want this to be a scam (for some reason). I am seeing that you aren't understanding how close everyone in the North West's (United States) ties are. I see you think it is absolutely absurd to start a gofundme page where friends, family, friends of friends, strangers who care would want to help an intense situation. I came here to give a different perspective and to put in plain view they could not get away with this being a scam AT ALL here. Like not even for a second. Especially with it being beyond public knowledge what is happening. I have concerns and questions, but it looks like to me you aren't or wouldn't be willing to listen and have a decent conversation about them anyway. I hoped to reach some people by assuring you that a scam could not happen like this, not with this kind of caliber. I could have been a bridge, but it looks as though you don't want a bridge. Came to test that out and it seems none of what I have said matters to most. Most will hear what they want to hear, and I hope if anything this whole "scam" thing (that most are so sure about) will get vindication soon enough. 

You are assuming that we all think alike.

Thoughts and ideas are being modified all the time. The fact is that you have no idea as to the full details of what has occurred and what is occurring.

Until we know more, it is only right that we keep an open mind that all is possible.

In all honesty, I can put this thing to bed in a day. But I do not wish to disturb friends for people about whom I do not care.

So I will let it play out on it's own, but keep an eye on what happens.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You seem to have some problems to understand it, so here in easy for you:

They are in Thailand, everybody knows they are, they posted pictures and so on.

Now they claim that they got arrested and have to pay money (But they aren't really in this situation)

They start a gofundme and collect money from their friends.

They tell everybody that they used the money from gofundme to bribe the police

Because it was a bribe there is of course no proof for it.

So they have now 10k USD, everybody thinks they used it to bribe the police, all are so happy that they are back home after such a hard time, but they just kept the money for themself.

Wow. That is what people think. SMH

2 minutes ago, Makara said:

There was just an update earlier today on the gofundme page from the girls about their current case. Perhaps go look.

No update about their situation , just a "I love you all, keep praying for me and keep donating"

• Like 1

Nope not possible. And if that was ever the case they would never be able to come back to the North West. They would be chastised. 100%

Why?  What's the flaw in the scam that we are portraying as a real possibility here?

11 minutes ago, Makara said:

I trust your words, and i hope that the young girls will be soon out of the troubles.

Thanks for your posts, don't give up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

How would anyone ever find out ?

If they just keep insisting that he did happened, no one would ever find out that it didnt happen

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

You are assuming that we all think alike.

Thoughts and ideas are being modified all the time. The fact is that you have no idea as to the full details of what has occurred and what is occurring.

Until we know more, it is only right that we keep an open mind that all is possible.

In all honesty, I can put this thing to bed in a day. But I do not wish to disturb friends for people about whom I do not care.

So I will let it play out on it's own, but keep an eye on what happens.

I don't assume, that is why I said most. I would hope the level-headed ones would realize how ridiculous it is to say this is a scam for a gofundme page and then they could return back home with the money. No. Not happening. I cannot explain to you how many people over here know about this--how many friends they have--or people they know. Too many for them to be able to come home without proof of arrest. End of subject. 

3 minutes ago, Makara said:

There was no update. Just wordy nonsense repeating the same crud about being overcome with emotion.

No claim that they did not know it was counterfeit or anything about the subject in question at all.

Why? because they don't want to incriminate themselves. Understandable.

But they are guilty. The whole GoFundMe thing is a disgrace.

I don't assume, that is why I said most. I would hope the level-headed ones would realize how ridiculous it is to say this is a scam for a gofundme page and then they could return back home with the money. No. Not happening. I cannot explain to you how many people over here know about this--how many friends they have--or people they know. Too many for them to be able to come home without proof of arrest. End of subject. 

Lots of online scams.

I don't assume, that is why I said most. I would hope the level-headed ones would realize how ridiculous it is to say this is a scam for a gofundme page and then they could return back home with the money. No. Not happening. I cannot explain to you how many people over here know about this--how many friends they have--or people they know. Too many for them to be able to come home without proof of arrest.

Why dont they make that proof of arrest public now, then ?

On this I would likely agree. 

14 minutes ago, Makara said:

Wow. That is what people think. SMH

Yes, that's what people think.

And if you want to stop people saying it's a scam just do what sanemax suggested.

He said he is in Chiang Mai and would be willing to meet with them.

If sanemax meets them and reports back here with maybe a picture of a paper from the police regarding the arrest, everybody will shut up saying it's maybe a scam.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

He said he is in Chiang Mai and would be willing to meet with them.

If sanemax meets them and reports back here with maybe a picture of a paper from the police regarding the arrest, everybody will shut up saying it's maybe a scam.

Yes, I am willing to go and meet them and see any evidence , if the girls would prefer that not to be published , I will respect that and take no photos and so theres no excuses to not meet.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Makara said:

Nothing beats a good chastising... ????

maybe using the remaining funds for a good party, on their return, will smooth ruffled feathers.

open bar night... :partytime2:

Edited by farcanell

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, I am willing to go and meet them and see any evidence , if the girls would prefer that not to be published , I will respect that and take no photos and so theres no excuses to not meet.

Lol.... but you would make a post saying “not a scam!” Right?