Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

7 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Actually upon reflection I find your comment to be disingenuous, inflammatory, baseless and a misinformed personal attack upon me based on perhaps biased emotive response.

If "You" was not part of your narrative inadvertently directly towards me, blame it upon misunderstood context.

I have to say that i used to like several posts from "amycat " and the points she made , but i agree with you here.

Also i have to congratulate you for the very polite reply.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

If they have been arrested and are in the Thai judiciary system . 

What I would suggest is to admit everything , dont lie or try to deceive anyone , hold you hands up and admit what you did .

Thailand isnt like the Western World , where a good expensive Lawyer can get you a not guilty verdict . 

The prosecution and defense quite often work together , usually with the Police as well .

If you deny everything and plead not guilty , they could add further charges .

Before any Court case , the Police will probably say to you "Admit everything and we wont charge you with more serious offences" , and they will tell you what the punishment is likely to be .

Also , if you plead not guilty , your sentence will automatically be halved .

They really wouldnt even need a Lawyer , just go to Court , admit what they did and accept the punishment .

I do not understand

"if you plead not guilty, your sentence will automatically be halved". Normally you would expect it to be the other way around.

Also you appear to have edited it to insert the "not" as giddyup quotes you without it being there.

I am sure there is a logical answer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rott said:

I do not understand

"if you plead not guilty, your sentence will automatically be halved". Normally you would expect it to be the other way around.

Also you appear to have edited it to insert the "not" as giddyup quotes you without it being there.

If you plead guilty it saves the court time and money, hence half the sentence. they do the same thing in the US, downgrade the plea to a lesser charge to get a guilty verdict. I think the 'not' has been inadvertently inserted.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If you plead guilty it saves the court time and money, hence half the sentence. they do the same thing in the US, downgrade the plea to a lesser charge to get a guilty verdict. I think the 'not' has been inadvertently inserted.

Hence my confusion.

It was not in the original post, which states that he did an edit to add one word. Has to be the word "not". So I do not see how this can be inadvertent.

I may not be the brightest button on here but I do not need an explanation of why pleading guilty can bring a lower sentence. In fact if you read my post you will gather that this was the thrust of my query. But thanks for your time and trouble.

1 hour ago, rott said:

I do not understand

Ha ha, I mistakenly edited and wrongly added a word.It was correct the first time and the added word was a mistake, 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sanemax said:

I would very much like to hear some facts , which confirm their story .

Has there been any facts produced to confirm their story ?

Any updates ?

When is their next Court case ?

Will they be pleading Guilty or not ?

What have they been charged with ?

Before they do that, why don't you tell us what were you in jail for?  what were your court dates, how much bail did you pay, how much were your bribes,  your lawyer fees, how was your jail experience, since you know so damn much why don't you share that with us so we can learn a few things????

• Like 2

Also Sanemax, were you guilty? how do we know, you probably are a liar, since all criminals are, and all people who go to jail are criminals, so we know since you went to jail that you are a criminal, right?

Can you explain why we should believe anything you say on this forum, because we know you are a criminal??

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot to ask, can you post your charge sheets for us, we won't be able to believe what you say, because well, you know, you have stated it for yourself, you can't believe anyone who has been taken to jail apparently.  So you will have to prove every single thing you say. For those of you who didn't read this entire thread, Sanemax stated earlier that he was in jail here once and had a long court case, and went to prison.  But I never questioned him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, amykat said:

Oh, I forgot to ask, can you post your charge sheets for us, we won't be able to believe what you say, because well, you know, you have stated it for yourself, you can't believe anyone who has been taken to jail apparently.  So you will have to prove every single thing you say. For those of you who didn't read this entire thread, Sanemax stated earlier that he was in jail here once and had a long court case, and went to prison.  But I never questioned him.

Well, you did :coffee1:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, amykat said:

You "used to like what I said" but don't now?  What ever I said is still valid as it was based on reason and logic even if you don't like what I said here. I can accept you don't like what I said here but that does not make what I said before before invalid. Perhaps you are feeling that is more a personal attack then what I meant.  Perhaps not being female you don't see how biased this forum is and how anti-Western women specifically. I have been hearing this for over a decade as if I am a black and in a KKK forum but you would not realize that of course!! 

This poster has a history of a very anti female point of view and I am familiar with it, so I am responding in kind, I hope you don't mind me defending my gender from time to time as I have some personal feeling in that area. This whole thread I feel has had a particular bias that was anti female, and if I am wrong, then I am, but I was mostly right, about every single thing I wrote about here from the very start!!   I went against the grain so who is to say I am wrong about this?  I almost always take a different path on there ...so what is new??  I believe what I wrote and if you are honest with yourself or go back through old threads, I think you will find what I said is true.  People are not often aware of their biases or what is driving them.

There are not many female posters here, and how we miss them !!

So, just to encourage you, i like your style :happy:

..But the post i criticised was a bit over the top.

I like feminism until the point it becomes rude, we boys have a heart too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, amykat said:

Well you know, there is one antagonizing post after another on here, and I always try to stay reasonable, and there are 50 of them against me normally. But as you can see, if I want to, I can let a few antagonizing words go too but 99% of the time I decide not to.  But that is not the case with others on here.  They let it go all of the time and I get sick of it.

Pls don't give up, and tell all your female friends that there are a lot of nice people here on TVF :whistling:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, amykat said:

Well you know, a lot of us females here, are alone ..well I think .. there aren't many of us. I have been totally alone here for 13 years. And you men have not been nice to me for no reason at all. I have had a harder time than any of you I imagine because I don't have a Thai "wife"  I survived here alone. I raised an adopted daughter and did my own thing. I am leaving in a few weeks back to the US finally and a good life for me now.  But I learned a lot here I guess and there isn't much I can't do alone, that is for sure. But I don't like to see this kind of abuse going on towards people and I will help when I can. And I still want to meet Sanemax on Thursday and I will help sue his ass if he doesn't stop it!!

Thanks for your words and all you have expressed. All I hear is crickets now! Hmmmm

• Like 2

So, I went to that gofundme page and there are some pictures of a $5 note. I must say that on the picture posted it is quite hard to notice the word copy, mud or no mud and the only reason I did notice is because I was looking for it.

It is perfectly believable that in all the euphoria they didn't bother checking....but that's them. Myself, I'd never pick up a wad of cash in a foreign country and thanks to this story next time I won't pick up a thai id card when I find it on the street.

10 hours ago, amykat said:

Before they do that, why don't you tell us what were you in jail for?  what were your court dates, how much bail did you pay, how much were your bribes,  your lawyer fees, how was your jail experience, since you know so damn much why don't you share that with us so we can learn a few things????

This thread isnt about me though

• Haha 1

That is not true Amy , I did not state that I was in jail here and I didnt state that I had a long Court case , I did not say that , because its not true .

• Like 1

That is not true Amy , I did not state that I was in jail here and I didnt state that I had a long Court case , I did not say that , because its not true .

33 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

So, I went to that gofundme page and there are some pictures of a $5 note. I must say that on the picture posted it is quite hard to notice the word copy, mud or no mud and the only reason I did notice is because I was looking for it.

It is perfectly believable that in all the euphoria they didn't bother checking....but that's them. Myself, I'd never pick up a wad of cash in a foreign country and thanks to this story next time I won't pick up a thai id card when I find it on the street.

And from what I understand the 100's look real. It took me less than a minute to see the word copy, but muddied, tattered then dried I could see the mistake. I do not condone keeping the money and not turning it in, that's just me. Though I have heard conflicting things on this. I would have gone about it different, but to make this such a crazy witch hunt, and say things such as immoral, awful lowlifes, those criminals etc is--actually, there is no words. Then to prosecute these women as scammers, and then the people in the US doing the gofundme as scammers, and to make up all these allegations that the money is to further their vacation or bring home, or for their own pleasure, is--again no words. 

FB_IMG_1520367275056.jpg

9 minutes ago, Makara said:

And from what I understand the 100's look real. It took me less than a minute to see the word copy, but muddied, tattered then dried I could see the mistake. I do not condone keeping the money and not turning it in, that's just me. Though I have heard conflicting things on this. I would have gone about it different, but to make this such a crazy witch hunt, and say things such as immoral, awful lowlifes, those criminals etc is--actually, there is no words. Then to prosecute these women as scammers, and then the people in the US doing the gofundme as scammers, and to make up all these allegations that the money is to further their vacation or bring home, or for their own pleasure, is--again no words. 

FB_IMG_1520367275056.jpg

What about on the reverse though, on the other side , where it says something like "Money for the dead people" , rather than *United States of America*?

And what about the water mark and the magnetic strip?

Edited by sanemax

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

What about on the reverse though, on the other side , where it says something like "Money for the dead people" , rather than *United States of America*?

I have not seen a pic of the other side so I cannot comment on that.

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:
7 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Again, as Americans it is crazy that they couldn't spot that. 

Agreed. I completely agree. I can't say the why or what on that. I can only state again that the situation they have found themselves in is what their being investigated for currently. The gofundme is not a scam and people are willingly donating money for their lawyer fees and understand they aren't being scammed.

Edited by Makara
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

I don't believe the gofundme is a scam. It just paints then in a completely false light. They aren't honest women who are the epitome of life or whatever nonsense people were writing about them on there. 

I think they're two dishonest women with the common sense of a goldfish. They wrongly thought they would be able to scam some low level worker in a money exchange in Thailand. Well done to the worker for not allowing this to happen. If they serve time there is no sympathy for their reckless stupidity. 

And had they been successful , they would have ruined a money changers business , if the money changer would have lost U.S.$1000 , their business quite possibly would have gone bankrupt , or it would take them a few months to recover .

Maybe the teller would have to pay the money back , whatever way you look at it , someone would have lost $1000 and the girls would have gained $1000 .

I wonder whether the people defending the girls would be so supportive , had they changed Baht into $ and got given that fake money back ?

• Like 1