Arsenal

MiG16

I wasnt going to continue with any non Arsenal comments on this thread....but dont make suggestions about me being homophobic without knowing too much about me just yet :)

Can a female be accused of being homophobic if making aspersions about a man's sexuality ? Not by my reckoning. But carry on with the Arsenal do. :D

post-20082-1259117334_thumb.jpg

Best Wishes

Edited by Happy Hammer

Arsenal 2 - Standard Liege 0

Scorers : Denilson, Nasri

Arsenal back on track it seems. Now looking forward to the derby against Chelsea. Denilson could be the man to support Fab. Wished Clichy and VP wasn't injured though. Nonetheless it will be a very exciting match i'm sure. :)

The Prof seems likely to get a new striker this January. The striker in question is 20 years old Nice striker Loic Remy. I remembered when Arshavin joined last season. It was January transfer and he made an impact almost immediately. Lets hope, if the deal is on, that Loic Remy would make the same impact if not more. :)

The Prof seems likely to get a new striker this January. The striker in question is 20 years old Nice striker Loic Remy. I remembered when Arshavin joined last season. It was January transfer and he made an impact almost immediately. Lets hope, if the deal is on, that Loic Remy would make the same impact if not more. :D

Le Arse, what a Club, what an English Club they are... :)

Well, I say it's an open market. Not every player in Arsenal is French, otherwise it would be Arsenal who played Ireland, not France. It's team building that makes it interesting. Not team buying like Chelsea few years back, or Man City as we see now.

Well, I say it's an open market. Not every player in Arsenal is French, otherwise it would be Arsenal who played Ireland, not France. It's team building that makes it interesting. Not team buying like Chelsea few years back, or Man City as we see now.

Of course you would, you're an Arsenal Fan & probably don't give a monkeys about the English National Team, unlike me..

Of course you would, you're an Arsenal Fan & probably don't give a monkeys about the English National Team, unlike me..

Go easy they got Theo Walcot and Ramsey (oops he's Welsh I think). Oh never mind, Cashly Cole used to play for them and he is on the English team.

now now MSingh....

I think your comment about the ENglish National team is flawed, and has more than a tinge of that nationalism slant that we often hear people criticise Thailand for.

and mind you, I dont say this in defense of Arsenal, but I say this because of my strong belief in the free market economy (Im a true libertarian...but dont normally want to mix my political belief with my football...but in this situation I think the political viewpoint is warranted).

so here goes:

Arsenal, or any other football club for that matter, is a private enterprise. It is not a public service, and hence should not be criticised for not providing a training ground for national talent. It is in the same token that critiques call on companies to employ local workforce - which to a large degree still happens, but there will be situations where having that investment from said economy will still benefit the local population - and in some cases more so - by employing some elements of foreign resources

[think for instance - Americans criticising companies for having their support call centre overseas - but it is only because they do so that consumers are able to receive better service. or the fact that we can now buy 44 inch LED TVs produced by korean companies at less than half of what it would have cost to prodce locally [haha ok maybe not we, but some of us :) ] point is, there is benefit to free trade]

back to football - Arsenal and a number of clubs trains many of its players from a young age, who progress to at times become superstars. some remain with their original clubs, some move on. some happen to be English, some not. thats the nature of private enterprise. they do what is good for their business.

England, as a team, and as a team with more resources (national funding etc) can and should choose to invest in their own players too. sure there will be situation when players trained by national team is then snapped up by some private clubs - but thats where contracts and conditions at time of start will help them....

anyhow...Ive gone on for way too long.....but as I said... a true libertarian. cant resist myself.

now now MSingh....

I think your comment about the ENglish National team is flawed, and has more than a tinge of that nationalism slant that we often hear people criticise Thailand for.

and mind you, I dont say this in defense of Arsenal, but I say this because of my strong belief in the free market economy (Im a true libertarian...but dont normally want to mix my political belief with my football...but in this situation I think the political viewpoint is warranted).

so here goes:

Arsenal, or any other football club for that matter, is a private enterprise. It is not a public service, and hence should not be criticised for not providing a training ground for national talent. It is in the same token that critiques call on companies to employ local workforce - which to a large degree still happens, but there will be situations where having that investment from said economy will still benefit the local population - and in some cases more so - by employing some elements of foreign resources

[think for instance - Americans criticising companies for having their support call centre overseas - but it is only because they do so that consumers are able to receive better service. or the fact that we can now buy 44 inch LED TVs produced by korean companies at less than half of what it would have cost to prodce locally [haha ok maybe not we, but some of us :) ] point is, there is benefit to free trade]

back to football - Arsenal and a number of clubs trains many of its players from a young age, who progress to at times become superstars. some remain with their original clubs, some move on. some happen to be English, some not. thats the nature of private enterprise. they do what is good for their business.

England, as a team, and as a team with more resources (national funding etc) can and should choose to invest in their own players too. sure there will be situation when players trained by national team is then snapped up by some private clubs - but thats where contracts and conditions at time of start will help them....

anyhow...Ive gone on for way too long.....but as I said... a true libertarian. cant resist myself.

Maybe so Mig & that reflects in Arsenal having the least amount of Fans of any Premiership Club, in the " England Fans " Membership Club..

Clubs like Arsenal are a HUGE reason why my/our ( not sure where you're from Mig but if isn't England, that may reflect both yours & the other Posters view on this obviously ) National Team fail at every Tournament they enter & yes my Post had a slant of Nationalism to it basically because i have spent a small fortune over previous Years watching my Country fail at those Tournamnets, direclty because of Clubs like Arsenal & their Policies on certain things such as Youth Academies..

No offence at all to either of you but i'm sure you can understand where i'm coming from & my frustration as Arsenal are ( or were ) an English Club after all & 90% of the 60,000 people they get passing through their Turnstiles every other week are English too..

Arsenal are not the only one's however & my Team West Ham are far from perfect too for the record.

Msingh

you miss the point

although you got one thing right: Im not English

but I would stand my grounds on Thailand too

Arsenal, WestHam or any other club - are private entities. It should not become their burden to train national talent. If it happens as a by-product, well and good. but as I said - private entities, their goal is to make a profit.

its like ....lets say one of you own a trading company, and you know you can get some supplies cheaper from Cambodia. and then sell your product at a cheaper price (or alternatively, you are a cafe owner, and you can get very good coffee from Brazil), but suddenly people say: because you are Thai you should buy your coffee in Thailand to help the Thai coffee growers (even though they are more expensive, or their quality is not as good). you cant make that kind of demands.

to me, the fact that they train youngsters and groom them to become key players is a very good thing. I dont see why there should be distinction on what nationality those youngster are. similar logic applies to the older players.

Im not a big believer in national or ethnic identities. I appreciate the differences, and the cultures, but I dont see why people need to be grouped into, or given different treatments because of their backgrounds. these players are talented, it shouldnt matter what country they come from.

Msingh

you miss the point

although you got one thing right: Im not English

but I would stand my grounds on Thailand too

Arsenal, WestHam or any other club - are private entities. It should not become their burden to train national talent. If it happens as a by-product, well and good. but as I said - private entities, their goal is to make a profit.

its like ....lets say one of you own a trading company, and you know you can get some supplies cheaper from Cambodia. and then sell your product at a cheaper price (or alternatively, you are a cafe owner, and you can get very good coffee from Brazil), but suddenly people say: because you are Thai you should buy your coffee in Thailand to help the Thai coffee growers (even though they are more expensive, or their quality is not as good). you cant make that kind of demands.

to me, the fact that they train youngsters and groom them to become key players is a very good thing. I dont see why there should be distinction on what nationality those youngster are. similar logic applies to the older players.

Im not a big believer in national or ethnic identities. I appreciate the differences, and the cultures, but I dont see why people need to be grouped into, or given different treatments because of their backgrounds. these players are talented, it shouldnt matter what country they come from.

Cool Mig but i can assure you i don't miss your point at all, i promise.. :)

It's just the difference is maybe i still ( albeit naively, i admit ) believe Football is a Game, my Game, our Game, a Working Mans Game & NOT a Business, a Public Entity or anything even coming remotely close to either..

Stupid, & i'm wrong, i know..

But it bugs me & nothing anyone says will change my mind, that a Club like Arsenal, an English Club & one of the best, regualry overlooks English Talent in favour of Foreign talent when the National Team are regulary failing in Tournaments & when the previous Manager at one stage had no choice but to call up a Championship Striker ( Nugent when he was at Preston ) for a Qualifying Game for a Tournament a couple of Years back..

So therefore, it's great of you to sound all wonderfully PC by saying it shouldn't matter what Country a Player comes from but you're not English & you are an Arsenal Fan so therefore you would say that as you don' care how England are doing yet just want Arsenal to have the best Players no matter where they're from, that's natural of course..

I on the other hand am English & not an Arsenal Fan so i'm sure you can understand where i'm coming from, even if you don't particulary like it..

if it makes any difference, I support England....albeit not at the very top of my list....that place is reserved for the Oranje.

but in the '96 games, I stood there at the airport watching the final almost 6am...and when they lost on penalty, I was so devastated, the person I went to drop off at the airport was surprised and thought I was gonna miss her so much! (and I remember the details..so that must say something) [point being - you cant exactly claim MiG doesnt care how England performs :D I even have an English team shirt...although I try not to reveal that on this forum :) ]

my question to you is: what is the role of the national team in making sure THEY train up local talent then?

by the way - another thought - you mention that you think of footie as "Football is a Game, my Game, our Game, a Working Mans Game & NOT a Business, a Public Entity or anything even coming remotely close to either."

on that basis - why should the emphasis then be on winning? shouldnt it then suffice that as long as England is out there, doing their best, and all the people (English, and whatever other fans) continue to support them? or even if they are not reaching big tournaments, but the game is providing opportunities for young people in the country to gain from it - be it exercise, team work, and whatever else you get from playing football? sure winning boost morale, but there are other benefits to the game surely?

and if we remove the profit and business interest from the equation, (which places a lot of expectations and emphasis on winning), then surely that should reduce the important on winning?

if it makes any difference, I support England....albeit not at the very top of my list....that place is reserved for the Oranje.

but in the '96 games, I stood there at the airport watching the final almost 6am...and when they lost on penalty, I was so devastated, the person I went to drop off at the airport was surprised and thought I was gonna miss her so much! (and I remember the details..so that must say something) [point being - you cant exactly claim MiG doesnt care how England performs :D I even have an English team shirt...although I try not to reveal that on this forum :) ]

my question to you is: what is the role of the national team in making sure THEY train up local talent then?

by the way - another thought - you mention that you think of footie as "Football is a Game, my Game, our Game, a Working Mans Game & NOT a Business, a Public Entity or anything even coming remotely close to either."

on that basis - why should the emphasis then be on winning? shouldnt it then suffice that as long as England is out there, doing their best, and all the people (English, and whatever other fans) continue to support them? or even if they are not reaching big tournaments, but the game is providing opportunities for young people in the country to gain from it - be it exercise, team work, and whatever else you get from playing football? sure winning boost morale, but there are other benefits to the game surely?

and if we remove the profit and business interest from the equation, (which places a lot of expectations and emphasis on winning), then surely that should reduce the important on winning?

But that's my whole point Mig, Arsenal are NOT doing that, they are Importing Youngsters & doing it... :D

As for the rest, Mig if i play a Game of Hungry Hippo's with my 3 Year old Daughter i want to win so as Football is my Religeon, i'm pretty sure i want my Country to win also when they play, every single time & i love it when we beat Andorra 6-0 & score 7 etc against San Marino, i love winning, in every single Game.. :D

But that's my whole point Mig, Arsenal are NOT doing that, they are Importing Youngsters & doing it... :D

As for the rest, Mig if i play a Game of Hungry Hippo's with my 3 Year old Daughter i want to win so as Football is my Religeon, i'm pretty sure i want my Country to win also when they play, every single time & i love it when we beat Andorra 6-0 & score 7 etc against San Marino, i love winning, in every single Game.. :D

I bet he cheats to win !

Yes Singhy is a winner, iv'e even seen him crying when he lost a game of pool :D thou to be fair that didn't happen very often :D

Edited by alfieconn

I bet he cheats to win !

Yes Singhy is a winner, iv'e even seen him crying when he lost a game of pool :D thou to be fair that didn't happen very often :D

Singer a pool player wow. Who would have known. Fancy a game sometime ol boy. I only play 9 ball, none of this 2 shot rule the locals freelancers subscribe too.

I always pictured Singer as a poker player. Not a very good one, but one none-the-less.

Oh yea Arsenal. Although I hope you win, I have my fears for you this weekend.

yes, back to Arsenal :D

big game this weekend eh

Hazri.... where are you :D I need a mate to watch the game with!

PS> oooo just saw the Jockstar on my thread :D thanks for visiting...usually its just me here by myself :)

Here i am Miss Mig. Sorry, phone line was down. Wanna watch the match together? Awww, phom yoo KL na krab.:) But if you wanna take me to Emirates, i'm all up for it.:D

Ok back to Arsenal vs Chelsea. Arsenal will go all out to close the gap, that's for sure. Interesting to see who's gonna start in the attacking dept. Arshavin injury wasn't bad, i guess he can recover in time for the match. Then there's Eduardo and Vela, provided Wenger stick to his 4-3-3. All in all, i think we're good to go.:D

Here i am Miss Mig. Sorry, phone line was down. Wanna watch the match together? Awww, phom yoo KL na krab.:) But if you wanna take me to Emirates, i'm all up for it.:D

Ok back to Arsenal vs Chelsea. Arsenal will go all out to close the gap, that's for sure. Interesting to see who's gonna start in the attacking dept. Arshavin injury wasn't bad, i guess he can recover in time for the match. Then there's Eduardo and Vela, provided Wenger stick to his 4-3-3. All in all, i think we're good to go.:D

I hear Gallas is very doubtful.

:)

I hear Gallas is very doubtful.

Yup. His swollen eye won't heal in time, it seems. But i think Senderos or Silvestre can get the job done. :)

I hope so, even I will be wishing for a France, sorry Arsenal win this weekend.

:D

seems the toady is being tardy and is not reading my replies!! :)