Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

OPINION:

Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

Zoe Williams

The Guardian

From homelessness to prisons and welfare, the social safety net is failing. Brexit is suffocating the Tory government

There’s a homeless shelter near my house, which is one of a few reasons why I’ve never seriously considered the possibility that anyone might freeze to death on the streets overnight.

The news is full of previously unfamiliar phrases about emergency cold weather provision for rough sleepers “kicking in” when the temperature hits zero. When it gets cold enough, no one is turned away. Shelters start to open during the day. Local politicians, mayors especially, talk determinedly about how to combat homelessness, and charities are mollified and surprised.

Yet deaths on the streets have been happening quite regularly since the start of winter. Walking past a guy I see every day, in progressively worse shape, the question mark over whether or not he’ll survive the month arrives not as a thought, more as a disembodied echo. Is it blase not to worry? Or melodramatic to mention it?

The sense that a Conservative government might be callous is not an unfamiliar one: the contention that actual deaths have resulted from discernible policies is one that only slick-looking men on magazine-format current affairs programmes put any gusto into denying. Yet there is a creeping suspicion that the government has completely ground to a halt.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/27/brexit-chaos-britain-homelessness-prisons-welfare

-- The Guardian 2018-02-28

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Look, the realities are that German auto manufacturers want desperately to sell cars to Britain, likewise French cheese-makers and wineries, Italian jewelers, and British manufacturers want to sell products to European consumers etc etc. A sensible trade agreement could be hashed out in half an hour by professionals.  What is happening has nothing to do with the Brexit as such, it is just resistance by attrition due to an inability to accept electoral defeat, and the end result of this could get very ugly. Stick to democratic procedure and get us out of the European superstate project pronto without these endless threats and diversions which only complicate and confuse simple minds. 

How odd, you seem to think that Brexit only involves commercial aspects and nothing to do with everything else such as border control, security, customs, fishing rights, people's rights, the justice system, defense, health, farming, science plus the separation of thousands and thousands of active legislation that have been enacted since we took membership. Perhaps you advise a clean break where we ignore all those factors, just go out and sign trade agreements to get some money coming in and everything else will be OK later, hmmm!

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, cooked said:

maybe there is a housing shortage due to the impossibility of planning for an economy that allows hundreds of thousands of immigrants in every year? 

Dunno, that;s probably racist.

I'm not sure it's racist, but your comment says to me that those who are homeless could afford a home if there was one available. I'm not sure that's the case. Besides, most immigrants don't suddenly turn up and automatically get 'given' a property to live in, thus denying others. That is somewhat of a myth. Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

How odd, you seem to think that Brexit only involves commercial aspects and nothing to do with everything else such as border control, security, customs, fishing rights, people's rights, the justice system, defense, health, farming, science plus the separation of thousands and thousands of active legislation that have been enacted since we took membership. Perhaps you advise a clean break where we ignore all those factors, just go out and sign trade agreements to get some money coming in and everything else will be OK later, hmmm!

Indeed. We have read over and over again, what are the negatives of staying or leaving.

Why not to write what are the positives of UK staying in EU and what are the positives departing the Union. That way the picture of benefits of staying and leaving might become more clear.

1 minute ago, oilinki said:

Indeed. We have read over and over again, what are the negatives of staying or leaving.

Why not to write what are the positives of UK staying in EU and what are the positives departing the Union. That way the picture of benefits of staying and leaving might become more clear.

I have no observation on the benefits of staying or leaving, my response above was solely in response to a poster who thinks we can just send out to some commercial people to sign contracts and that can be done quickly and the job's then done....naive at best!

26 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Look, the realities are that German auto manufacturers want desperately to sell cars to Britain, likewise French cheese-makers and wineries, Italian jewelers, and British manufacturers want to sell products to European consumers etc etc. A sensible trade agreement could be hashed out in half an hour by professionals.  What is happening has nothing to do with the Brexit as such, it is just resistance by attrition due to an inability to accept electoral defeat, and the end result of this could get very ugly. Stick to democratic procedure and get us out of the European superstate project pronto without these endless threats and diversions which only complicate and confuse simple minds. 

German car makers don't give a stuff. They know UK demographic As and Bs will continue to buy their beautifully engineered and produced vehicles even if they cost 10% more (in reality they will use the duty as an excuse to raise prices further). No, the biggest damage will be to cheap Japanese cars assembled in the U.K. With complex supply chains.

I will continue to guzzle St Agur regardless ?