Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

11 hours ago, evadgib said:

WTO should have been UK's starting point within days of opting to leave; ie:

- Pull out

- Stop paying

- Negotiate from a much stronger position with funds withheld until satisfactory agreements materialise.

You think Leave should have just abandoned their campaign pledges as soon as they won in the referendum?

“Our trade will almost certainly continue with the EU on similar to current circumstances…The reality is that the hard-headed, pragmatic businessmen on the continent will do everything to ensure that trade with Britain continues uninterrupted.” David Davis, speech, 26 May 2016

“The EU’s supporters say ‘we must have access to the Single Market’. Britain will have access to the Single Market after we vote leave”. Vote Leave, What Happens When We Vote Leave?

“there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market”, Boris Johnson, The Telegraph, 26 June 2016

"It should be win-win for us and it will be if we vote to leave and we can maintain free trade, stop sending money and also have control of our borders", Michael Gove, BBC, 8 May 2016

“The idea that our trade will suffer…is silly”, Vote Leave, What Happens When We Vote Leave

• Haha 1

Get ready for the panic people, just don't also panic, leave the panic to them, they will represent your panic for you in parliament.

“I think Theresa is going to go into a phase where we are much more combative with Brussels,” Johnson was recorded saying.

“You’ve got to face the fact there may now be a meltdown OK? I don’t want anybody to panic during the meltdown. No panic. Pro bono publico, no bloody panic. It’s going to be all right in the end.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-johnson/brace-for-a-possible-brexit-meltdown-but-dont-panic-johnson-says-buzzfeed-idUSKCN1J40LJ

3 hours ago, tebee said:

The problem in a nutshell - 

"Brexiters really need to learn to deal with world as it is rather than how they would like it to be."

Not a problem my nutshell;  That's why UK majority voted to be out of the club so they could deal with the rest of the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My business partner is just back from a DTI/EU sponsored Meet the Buyer event for UK exporters and Asian importers in London. He reported significant consternation about the ongoing uncertainties amongst many of the UK companies he met with, with a general hesitation amongst the other Asian buyers present. Something particularly resonant, I thought, was that several companies told him that they would prefer payment in euros. On the upside - good to see the EU still supporting British business. 

I was attending Thaifex in Bangkok last week and was struck by the almost total absence of English companies exhibiting there. There was a Scottish pavilion, Italian, German, Spanish sectors, but I was unable to find a single English company. 

Cutting words - 

I can’t remember this country ever being run by such clueless, back-stabbing cowards, and this as we face the most serious peace-time challenge of our lifetimes.

They offer no ­leadership, ideas, policies, solutions, credibility or belief other than surviving for survival’s sake.

All energy has been sucked out of the Government by the Brexit debacle and replaced with fear as vultures on the right of May’s party and in the media wait to feast on her corpse if she goes against their hardline wishes.

Anyone care to disagree ?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/paralysed-brexit-theresa-leading-zombie-12668566

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

You really need to learn to deal with the result of the referendum as it was, rather than how you would like it to have been 

I don't disagree with the result of the referendum,  I disagree on the action we need take as a result of it .

4 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Well I never, after all this time, you reveal that you have just been a Brexiteer in disguise; great stuff tebee, do drop in for a glass of pinot gris ??✌️✌️

I'd love to join you but attending my luncheon club in Bangkok. Manhattan anyone? Made with Grouse!

IMG_2693.JPG

44 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not a problem my nutshell;  That's why UK majority voted to be out of the club so they could deal with the rest of the world.

The majority doesn't have to deal with reality, politicians do have to. From the outside, in your office, in the factory, in the pub, it all looks so easy, it obviously isn't, nobody will give you a loaf of bread for ideological catchwords. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

The reality in a nutshell
They have been moaning for nearly 900 pages . So let em moan and whine and throw their toys out of the pram we are still leaving so suck it up.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You may want to leave the dinner party but I think you will be stuck in the hallway putting your coat on for a very long time, perhaps for eternity.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The majority doesn't have to deal with reality, politicians do have to. From the outside, in your office, in the factory, in the pub, it all looks so easy, it obviously isn't, nobody will give you a loaf of bread for ideological catchwords. 

I thought politicians relied on votes to get into power, much the same as the Brexit vote...Am I wrong..?

15 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Sorry, just before I leave this alone for now.

If May is a remainer and trying to scupper Brexit, why has her leadership not been challenged by Johnson or Rees Mogg before?  She has been weak and on the back foot for months.  Really easy pickings but all Johnson and RM do is praise and back her.  Are they really that lily livered and pathetic?

I've given my opinion on why this is happening time and time again, but for some reason still need to keep repeating it!

May along with 99% of MPs prefer to remain within the eu, as does 'big business' and the establishment.

Suprise suprise, they're coming up with an ever softer version of brexit.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

but those in government with all their experts at hand didn't go this way, there is a reason perhaps.

Couldn't agree more....  There is a very good reason, it's in their interest....

They are quite happy to still ignore why the leave vote happened....

Edit - you may trust the govt. and their 'experts' - but many of us realised long ago that they are only concerned about their own interests.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

You really need to learn to deal with the result of the referendum as it was, rather than how you would like it to have been 

This can't be repeated often enough.

If only the uk and eu govts. were able to get their heads around this reality rather than doing everything in their power to find a way to leave - in name only.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Cutting words - 

I can’t remember this country ever being run by such clueless, back-stabbing cowards, and this as we face the most serious peace-time challenge of our lifetimes.

They offer no ­leadership, ideas, policies, solutions, credibility or belief other than surviving for survival’s sake.

All energy has been sucked out of the Government by the Brexit debacle and replaced with fear as vultures on the right of May’s party and in the media wait to feast on her corpse if she goes against their hardline wishes.

Anyone care to disagree ?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/paralysed-brexit-theresa-leading-zombie-12668566

Not really, other than back-stabbing, clueless politicians always being the case.

No reason to single out brexit as anything other than the normal amongst politicians.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, transam said:

I thought politicians relied on votes to get into power, much the same as the Brexit vote...Am I wrong..?

The problem is that the uk govt. is showing every sign of wishing to remain within the eu ( suprise suprise....)

You (like myself) hate the way the uk govt. is gradually watering down the leave vote - but we have to accept that this is the case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Well I never, after all this time, you reveal that you have just been a Brexiteer in disguise; great stuff tebee, do drop in for a glass of pinot gris ??✌️✌️

None of that foreign muck...pint of British Ale ?

• Like 2

You may want to leave the dinner party but I think you will be stuck in the hallway putting your coat on for a very long time, perhaps for eternity.
Better than like Miss Haversham.sitting in the dinning hall amongst all the rotting food .or watching all the rest of the guests fighting over whats left of the meal after Germany and Brussels have taken the lions share.

1 minute ago, ivor bigun said:

Better than like Miss Haversham.sitting in the dinning hall amongst all the rotting food .or watching all the rest of the guests fighting over whats left of the meal after Germany and Brussels have taken the lions share.

.....and the others waiting downstairs for the scraps.....:whistling:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

they then have to deal with the real world for the good of the country, catchwords don't work at conference tables, may raise a few smiles though.

29 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The problem is that the uk govt. is showing every sign of wishing to remain within the eu ( suprise suprise....)

You (like myself) hate the way the uk govt. is gradually watering down the leave vote - but we have to accept that this is the case.

With a bit of luck the leave voters will be as aggressive as the remain voters previously when presented with a 'leave in name only' result.

But I suspect this will not be the case....

Just now, soalbundy said:

they then have to deal with the real world for the good of the country, catchwords don't work at conference tables, may raise a few smiles though.

Quite right, apart from the "good of the country" bit.

The workers and the wealthy have a very different perspective on the"good of the country' - hence the brexit vote.

But of course you're welcome to believe that the "good of the country" is reliant on the wealth of the wealthy, and everyone else is irrelevant.

• Haha 1