Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

8 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Ok, but Teebee suggested that Brexit was organised by "a subset of bankers".  You backed him up by listing a load of people who are not bankers.

The overarching point here is that bankers are massively in favour of the EU, and they would do anything to keep us in.

Vote Leave still won despite the hugely powerful banking community wanting the UK to remain.

Ah, but they had replied to my post where I stated that it was caused by "a bunch of bankers" with their "subset" thing, that is when I listed the bunch who funded it.  And my point really has nothing to do with the power of the banks or who won, it was just about who created this and left the winners to deal with their mess, which really is a bunch of bankers and who I believe actually do have a plan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nauseus said:

You just said he was a trader which is true. Banks have brokerage departments which require traders, not bankers.

Traders are not bankers. There is a big difference. Hope you understand that now.

Investment banker ring any bells?

9 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

They all either worked in or own financial institutes, they are not strictly speaking bankers as their institutes don't take deposits but in every other way they are the same, the link is not wealth it is making financial transactions or investments, aka banking.

Didn't know foreigners could finance UK political campaigns.

Robert Mercer, very interesting he's involved with financing BREXIT considering the Mercer Family deep immersion and financial support of disruptive right of centre politics, founder of Cambridge Analytica and so on.

Edited by simple1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Didn't know foreigners could finance UK political campaigns.

Robert Mercer, very interesting he's involved with financing BREXIT considering the Mercer Family deep immersion and financial support of disruptive right of centre politics, founder of Cambridge Analytica and so on.

He helped the campaign, he is Farages old friend and he claims he did it all for free, the list is of the bankers who started, ran and financed Brexit, not only those who financed it, Mercers role seems to have been in introducing tech and producing greater media bias.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

He helped the campaign, he is Farages old friend and he claims he did it all for free, the list is of the bankers who started, ran and financed Brexit, not only those who financed it, Mercers role seems to have been in introducing tech and producing greater media bias.

Rich people run the world. Rich group A want X. Opposite rich group B want y.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Yeah sure, or rich group B aren't satisfied with Y and want to take some of rich groups A's X.

Or do a deal for win win. The poor fools get didley as usual but the winning rich group tell their pawns their side won out!

Politics 101

I think the average citizen should not be able to vote on or do brain surgery. The average citizen doesn't know how to do brain surgery and the results are predictable. Just because the average citizen can see the head, does not mean they are in any way qualified to decide how to enter it. The hammer and chisel method might be fatal to the patient.

For some strange reason, people in the UK were given the option to vote on Brexit. As if they have an inkling of understanding of how international trade agreements are negotiated. While it's not brain surgery, it's still extremely complicated in its own right and rash impulsive decisions based on political rhetoric has led the UK to Brexit. 

Like the average citizen doing brain surgery, the citizens and government of the UK now have their hammer and chisel out trying bang out new international trade agreements with the EU who had warned them not to do Brexit. While it's not as predictable as hammer and chisel brain surgery, I suspect the outcome will not be positive for the Brexit voters.

The next generation, on the other hand, may benefit in the long run thanks to this generation's selfless sacrifice. Thank you democracy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

In the last year, in a lot of areas of the UK, house prices have risen more than their owners have earned, so if you take that as a benchmark then Brexit isn't doing those of us whom own houses in the UK any damage at all. It will be interesting to see what happens when we actually leave, however for those of you who don't own a bolt-hole in UK you may find it better to stay in your glass houses and throw stones, because if it gets too hot for you in Thailand, at the rate it is going, you will be just another statistic like those in Spain, who now can't afford to move back....tick-tock
Exactly in what way do you mean re " too hot for you in Thailand "???

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, tebee said:

Global Future is a think tank and movement that seeks to build bridges between cultures in a world where there is a dangerous tilt toward narrow and destructive tribalism. The organisation firmly believes that the prosperity of the human race has been built on co-operation, cultural exchange and trade. It seeks to educate, inform and help people understand the benefits of globalisation. We also want to understand the genuine issues that stand in the way of realising these benefits and to develop solutions that help smooth the path to our collective global future. Global Future has three arms: Society, Business and Arts and Culture.

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Oh yes, I've heard of them. But after checking out Farage the FT confirms he was not a banker of any kind.

https://www.ft.com/content/02cad03a-844f-11e4-bae9-00144feabdc0

He was what is called a commodity trader. 

A commodities trader within a bank, the activities of banks is known as banking, the people who do it are known as bankers, at least they are outside the sad world of the pedants.

38 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

A commodities trader within a bank, the activities of banks is known as banking, the people who do it are known as bankers, at least they are outside the sad world of the pedants.

Why would a pedant's world be sad?

Pedants can find joy where others see only tedium, fascination where others see irrelevance, and importance and value in what others might perceive as pointless detail.  While a policeman's lot may not be a happy one, that of a pedant is one of constant challenge and joy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmm, there seems to be an absence of comments regarding the think tank report and the numbers of Brexiteers in favour given the various cost options....what excuse are we going to hear this time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

You can call me pedantic and I can call you inarticulate. Your own interpretations of the meaning of words are often wrong. So in a debate, they often give the wrong meaning or impression.

Just to continue my pedantism, here are some definitions from the Oxford English Dictionary. As far as pedant goes, then I must insist that Grouse be included as such. :smile:

pedant A person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.

banker A person who manages or owns a bank or group of banks.

trader A person who buys and sells goods, currency, or shares

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Grouse said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-43812360

Patton is absolutely correct. This is the wise way forward as it removes risk from so many of our exporters and solves the Irish Question .

Is a customs union similar to what we have just now?

Can we export and import goods and services to and from the EU, our biggest trading partner?

If we are not in a customs union, what would that mean?

Would people in Northern Ireland be able to do their shopping in the Republic?

How would Irish wholesalers manage their customers in the two separate territories?

I say "throw out what works, and then we quickly can cobble together something else that might work, more or less, with a bit of effort, eventually; it's the British way.  We didn't get to where we are by meticulous planning and cautious attention to detail". 

Heath Robinson must be turning in his grave at the Peers' lack of imagination

SC

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

This has exactly nothing to do with totals, we choose where our aid goes and it goes directly to people who are not helped from within, its the same argument as the "India has a space program why do we give them aid?" brigade produce, the question is easily answered, our aid does not fund their space program and it helps people who they neglect to help despite having money for a space program.

It depends on the extent to which you think uk foreign aid money benefits the poor - and how much of it ends up in the pockets of the wealthy...

And that's before questioning 'foreign aid' being used as a tool in the same way as bribes...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Ah, but they had replied to my post where I stated that it was caused by "a bunch of bankers" with their "subset" thing, that is when I listed the bunch who funded it.  And my point really has nothing to do with the power of the banks or who won, it was just about who created this and left the winners to deal with their mess, which really is a bunch of bankers and who I believe actually do have a plan.

But they're not bankers! Jeez...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Is a customs union similar to what we have just now?

Can we export and import goods and services to and from the EU, our biggest trading partner?

If we are not in a customs union, what would that mean?

Would people in Northern Ireland be able to do their shopping in the Republic?

How would Irish wholesalers manage their customers in the two separate territories?

I say "throw out what works, and then we quickly can cobble together something else that might work, more or less, with a bit of effort, eventually; it's the British way.  We didn't get to where we are by meticulous planning and cautious attention to detail". 

Heath Robinson must be turning in his grave at the Peers' lack of imagination

SC

We need to remain in the single market as well, with common standards and mutual recognition, to avoid customs checks, effectively remaining in the EU as we leave.

Hence the term "Brexit in name only".

I'm convinced that is where we are heading as nothing else really makes sense and we are rapidly running out of time to negotiate anything more complicated. 

• Like 1