Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

In a democracy there are no “once only” votes, or else we’d have the same party in charge in perpetuity after the first vote. The whole point of democracy is that you can change your mind, modify or adapt anything in the future if in the opinion of the majority it makes sense to do so. Scrapping the Poll Tax for example. And the same goes for the Brexit vote.

If we can scrap all that then why not shoot the whole pig and make the EU the prize trophy for the club wall?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, nontabury said:

Unfortunately you could be right. Which will mean that democracy in the UK will be finished. Then you will really see conflict.

Conflict?... Unlikely, the British public will just moan down the pub and do nothing, we have been a 'do nothing' nation for a long time now.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, adammike said:

Not so way back! Have you seen the Spencer family? All gingers,as you don't seem to know the Spencer's are his mum's side of his family.

well I didn't know that but it shows genetic traits get passed on although they may miss a couple of generations. As you may have gathered I am not a royalist although Harry seems to be the best of the bunch, he seems normal with a sense of humour, what bothered me was the style of sentimental slavish reverence with which it was reported. We now have the pregnancy to look forward to, will she have morning sickness like kate, oh I do hope not.

7 minutes ago, darren1971 said:

http://ritholtz.com/2018/04/no-brexit/

No Brexit

April 27, 2018 3:00pm by Barry Ritholtz

Brexit Failure Looks More Likely Every Day
Too many things are lining up against the U.K. leaving the EU.
Bloomberg, April 27, 2018

nice find - we can only live in hope. Cue the usual No mean NO , remoaners lies , we're leaving lump it, taking back control ad nauseum from the Rees-Mogg raggle-taggle doff-cap barstool barmy army (Thailand regiment)....

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Haha 1

Any of you as pissed off as me with politicians who won't answer the question? The interviewer puts a perfectly reasonable question and the response begins "let me tell you what......

Well, check out the Andrew Marr show. Andrew is sick and Emma Barnett is standing in. Early 30s blonde bird. She's a killer!

Demolished two senior policians. I almost felt sorry for them

The interview with Gardner the shadow international trade secretary is being described as a car crash

The culture minister was nearly crying!

She is great. Sadly she's married but I'm going for s haircut tomorrow 

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

UN urges UK not to abandon EU environmental protections after brexit. Forget it, anything that saves British industry money to make up for the lack of productivity will be allowed and more, free at last.

yeah poison the rivers and pollute the air that we breathe - just like Victorian times - kids up chimneys type of thing. 

16 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

UN urges UK not to abandon EU environmental protections after brexit. Forget it, anything that saves British industry money to make up for the lack of productivity will be allowed and more, free at last.

Environmental protection? Everything is up for grabs by the looks of things.

Secret Brexit deal could threaten scotch whisky

"The US government don't like our food standards, and they repeatedly tell us that abandoning these standards for imports is essential if they're going to sign a deal."

".. it also reveals that the US would push the UK to accept GM foods and biotech seeds, and to do away with certain prohibitions on chemical flavourings, live cow exports and endocrine disrupters which affect hormones in animals.

The US also wants protected designation of origin, which safeguards products such as Cornish pasties or Melton Mowbray pork pies, dispensed with because they "undermine access" for US producers."

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Any of you as pissed off as me with politicians who won't answer the question? The interviewer puts a perfectly reasonable question and the response begins "let me tell you what......

Well, check out the Andrew Marr show. Andrew is sick and Emma Barnett is standing in. Early 30s blonde bird. She's a killer!

Demolished two senior policians. I almost felt sorry for them

The interview with Gardner the shadow international trade secretary is being described as a car crash

The culture minister was nearly crying!

She is great. Sadly she's married but I'm going for s haircut tomorrow 

will look out for that and her ....

Image result for emma barnett

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bristolboy said:

So dominic cummings will be played by a zombie who in life was a mathematician of genius? Interesting

No, of course not. This is ThaiVisa! It's like The Times cryptic crossword; Nothing is what it appears!

I was alluding to Benedict Cumberbatch ?

3 hours ago, aright said:

Do you mind if I change your chosen words slightly.

Interesting that extreme right wing parties have the fortitude to take a tough line with Brussels but fortunately/unfortunately, dependant on your point of view, we have no extreme right wing parties.

Not quite correct there. Northern Alliance are right wing, but 5star Movement are Motley crew with antiestablishment goals. The point is that I really do see changes to the EU coming as they adjust to accomodate some of the populist wishes. A bit. We could be leading that!

5 hours ago, The Renegade said:

If you are going to try and use Churchill, at least try and get it correct.

Churchill was for anything that would stop Germany going on yet another rampaging crusade.

He also said this.

While an advocate of a mechanism to curb Germany, he did not want the UK to be a part of that mechanism.

Yes, that's quite correct. Sadly we don't have the global presence we had during the period after the war. But you are correct about Churchill's view

What I don't understand is the degree of hatred expressed by several Brexiteers who wish to see the EU fail. That is truly insane 

25 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

yeah poison the rivers and pollute the air that we breathe - just like Victorian times - kids up chimneys type of thing. 

I don't think you could get British kids up chimney's these days, to fat from junk food, anyway they couldn't work carrying an iphone

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Renegade said:

Because the UK is a Country in Europe

What has a World Government got to do with the EU ?

Because at the time the UK had a Commonwealth and after 2 World Wars, started by Germany, a United Europe was a preferred option.

Is the EEC the EU ?

Gentlemen, may I point out that the World 70 years ago was substantially different. One can not take contemporaneous words of statesmen literally today.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

12 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Really ..... then why have you deleted the comment you made that I found so offensive 

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I didn't

somebody has deleted it ..... well leastways, it has disappeared 

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Gentlemen, may I point out that the World 70 years ago was substantially different. One can not take contemporaneous words of statesmen literally today.

Quite.

So why did you highlight my comments that were pointing out the same.

It would have been sensible to highlight the garbage I replied to and then posted the above and then others would know what you were talking about.

Dontcha think ?

1 minute ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Possibly a like minded snowflake as yourself (moderator?) I stand by what I write unless proven wrong then I apologise but I won't apologise or retract an opinion. Regard what I wrote as still standing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Possibly a like minded snowflake as yourself (moderator?) I stand by what I write unless proven wrong then I apologise but I won't apologise or retract an opinion. Regard what I wrote as still standing.

But it isn't still standing is it ?

3 hours ago, aright said:

My point is the EU will not be changed directly by the European Parliament. Change for what ever reason will happen as a result of dissatisfaction within the member states manifested by election results, threatened referendums, non compliance with directives, non payment of dues etc. The Commission have made no adjustments to its governance as a result of Brexit, it will be interesting to see what they do when Italy starts making demands.

In other words, out with the democracy of the EU

22 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

It seems to be an ever increasing tactic on social media where one 'takes offence' over something relatively benign in, I assume, an attept to diminish the standing of the individual who made the original comment and, thus, their contributions in general.

Yesterday Douglas Ross MP, a clown of a man who stated on TV that, were he PM, he would impose "tougher enforcement against gypsy travellers", was a linesman at the Celtic-Motherwell game, and he fell on his face on live TV. A Scottish MSP made a joke remark on Twitter that Ross would probably blame the SNP for his fall, and today Col. Ruth Davidson weighed into the fray, talking about how infantile and offensive the tweet was. It would be nice if she got so het up about the 120,000 people who are dead as a result of her party being in power, the Syrian and Yemeni children dead because of British bombs, or even just the slew of bigots and homophobes who represent the Tories at council and national level in Scotland, including Douglas Ross MP - but no, she chooses to 'take offence' at a joke about this rather inadequate MP falling over. Manufactured outrage - the scourge of modern debate.

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 2