Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I can only assume that you believe people were better off before the Working Time Directive, many would disagree.

Contracts of employment are separate issue altogether.

You are aware that the Working Time Directive can be opted out of ?

You will also find that many contracts of employment stipulate opting out of the WTD.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, tebee said:

In France for instance you would have give a temporary worker a minimum 1 year contract for 35 hours a week with holiday entitlement. If you renew this 2 times it's automatically converted into a permanent contract

Think Macron has already destroyed most of that.

I wonder why ?

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

All treaties which were ratified by the U.K. parliament.

Without the interim referenda that should have been! Far too important and rejection of any of them then might have saved us from being in so damn deep in this EU rats nest now.

15 minutes ago, tebee said:

But again this is the UK taking the EU's provisions as a minimum - In France for instance you would have give a temporary worker a minimum 1 year contract for 35 hours a week with holiday entitlement. If you renew this 2 times it's automatically converted into a permanent contract .

The way around this,is to give just a 1yr contract, and then not immediately renew the contract. There are after all plenty of unskilled E.U. workers ready to jump in. And as I’ve already explained this would not help the family trying to include the wife’s earnings, in their application for a mortgage.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that 20yrs plus ago, an employer could easily sack an employee in the first 6 months, however after those 6months it become increasingly difficult. 

17 minutes ago, tebee said:

But again this is the UK taking the EU's provisions as a minimum - In France for instance you would have give a temporary worker a minimum 1 year contract for 35 hours a week with holiday entitlement. If you renew this 2 times it's automatically converted into a permanent contract .

I wouldn't be going on about the French working hours, they are a mystery to all. The huit a huit (8 till 8 ) opens at 9, shuts at 1200 for one and half hours, opens at 0130 closes at 6. No shops open on a Sunday. It would appear that the French suit themselves when to open, or not.

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

I wouldn't be going on about the French working hours, they are a mystery to all. The huit a huit (8 till 8 ) opens at 9, shuts at 1200 for one and half hours, opens at 0130 closes at 6. No shops open on a Sunday. It would appear that the French suit themselves when to open, or not.

Round my neck of the woods supermarkets open at 9 and stay open right through until 7:30. later on Friday and saturday. One opens Sunday morning 9-12 as well.

The huit a huit I would suspect has not enough staff to do the 2 shifts you'd need for more than 35 hours.

48 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Labour law. part- time work, fixed - term contracts, working hours.

Do you honestly think that these are for the benefit of the lower paid workers?

Because as a volunteer at a local Citizens Advice office, I can assure you that is not so. I have now become convinced that these E.U. regulations are for the benefit of the employers. In the area that I now live in, most of the workers seem to be on a rolling 6 month contract, giving absolutely no security to the workers.

Further more these same E.U regulations, disadvantage the workers in many ways. Example the other day a family came in to seek my advice, on being refused a mortgage, due to the fact the Wife’s earning would not 

be taken into consideration, as she’s on one of these E.U inspired temporary rolling contract. Therefore they are stuck in private rental accommodation. With little chance of getting on the ladder,never mind climbing up it.

Working hours on these same E.U inspired contracts are at the discretion of the employer,this week maybe 30 hrs, maybe 20 hours or maybe just 10hrs. All at a rate of £7.83 per hour. Work the figures out yourself, could you live on these amounts? I think you’ll find the answer is NO. So who can survive on these amounts. Well the answer is, immigrants from Eastern Europe, who are prepared to sleep on the floor in overcrowded accommodation, while taking advantage of the many benefits on offer. And as I’ve already posted, they often only work for 6 months at a time,untill they hit the tax treashold, when they then return home.

But why should this bother the middle and upper classes,they can take the selfish view that they are nor disadvantaged, in fact they benefit in obtaining goods or services at a lower rate,than otherwise would be the case.

‘EU inspired’!

31 minutes ago, nontabury said:

The way around this,is to give just a 1yr contract, and then not immediately renew the contract. There are after all plenty of unskilled E.U. workers ready to jump in. And as I’ve already explained this would not help the family trying to include the wife’s earnings, in their application for a mortgage.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that 20yrs plus ago, an employer could easily sack an employee in the first 6 months, however after those 6months it become increasingly difficult. 

The fix for this is workers to join and become active members of unions.

36 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Without the interim referenda that should have been! Far too important and rejection of any of them then might have saved us from being in so damn deep in this EU rats nest now.

As I pointed out earlier, the UK is party to over 14,000 treaties.

The idea of putting each to a plebiscite is nonsense, as is the idea that the treaties the UK are currently party to can be replaced swiftly by something better.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As I pointed out earlier, the UK is party to over 14,000 treaties.

The idea of putting each to a plebiscite is nonsense, as is the idea that the treaties the UK are currently party to can be replaced swiftly by something better.

I think you know the treaties that I mean. Clue: most are name after cities.

9 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I think you know the treaties that I mean. Clue: most are name after cities.

You should read a few of them.

Huge numbers of people have difficulty understanding a simple credit agreement or a gas bill, and yet you propose overthrowing parliamentary democracy to ratify international treaties by plebiscite.

Let’s be a bit more realistic shall we.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Huge numbers of people have difficylulty difficulty understanding a simple credit agreement or a gas bill, and yet you propose overthrowing parliamentary democracy to ratify international treaties by plebiscite.

Realistic - funny. These main treaties were all important enough  to warrant a referendum, that's why so many countries had them. Don't quite gas bills as any comparison.

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Realistic - funny. These main treaties were all important enough  to warrant a referendum, that's why so many countries had them. Don't quite gas bills as any comparison.

Oh you didn’t understand that people who struggle to understand gas bills and many other documents they have to deal with might struggle with understanding an international treaty?!

Just as well though eh, makes the lies told by Leave and the rightwing press about the relationship between the UK and the EU so much easier to swallow.

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

wrt Syrian refugees arriving in Germany/Europe, those supporting  anti-EU arguments fail to address is how those Syrians arrived at Europe borders.

The answer to that is they were driven their by Russian backed military action and Russian backed closing of borders to drive the refugees into Europe.

Russia is also backing rightwing anti EU groups across Europe.

https://m.dw.com/en/nato-commander-russia-uses-syrian-refugees-as-weapon-against-west/a-19086285

Brexit plays directly into Russia’s strategic aims of bringing about the disintegration of the EU and Europe as an economic/political/military check on Russian power.

It is no accident that so many of the Brexit ‘leaders’ have multiple connections to Russia.

Brxit having anything to do with ‘British’ sovereignty is a sick joke.

It is no accident that so many of the Brexit ‘leaders’ have multiple connections to Russia.

Any links to that?

And how about the Syrian refugees who were fleeing to Turkey and Europe before Brexit. Was that part of Russias plan also?

That started back in 2011 long before Brexit.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/05/syria-civil-war-explained-160505084119966.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-26116868

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

wrt Syrian refugees arriving in Germany/Europe, those supporting  anti-EU arguments fail to address is how those Syrians arrived at Europe borders.

The answer to that is they were driven their by Russian backed military action and Russian backed closing of borders to drive the refugees into Europe.

Russia is also backing rightwing anti EU groups across Europe.

https://m.dw.com/en/nato-commander-russia-uses-syrian-refugees-as-weapon-against-west/a-19086285

Brexit plays directly into Russia’s strategic aims of bringing about the disintegration of the EU and Europe as an economic/political/military check on Russian power.

Brxit having anything to do with ‘British’ sovereignty is a sick joke.

Still trolling from America I see, or have you relocated to Moscow

There is only one sick joke on this forum

35 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oh you didn’t understand that people who struggle to understand gas bills and many other documents they have to deal with might struggle with understanding an international treaty?!

Just as well though eh, makes the lies told by Leave and the rightwing press about the relationship between the UK and the EU so much easier to swallow.

You really do pick some ridiculous comparisons and falsehoods.  

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Any links to that?

And how about the Syrian refugees who were fleeing to Turkey and Europe before Brexit. Was that part of Russias plan also?

That started back in 2011 long before Brexit.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/05/syria-civil-war-explained-160505084119966.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-26116868

It's OK, he's just chomping at the bit again.

10 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Hurrah, Jonnie Foreigner is retreating, the streets will soon be safe again, Brexit is working as planned (never mind the loss of tax revenue or hits to the workforce etc): 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-uk-immigration-workers-employment-2018-latest-updates-a8420781.html

Ah, the farcically named Independent again, what appalling taste you have 

4 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:
12 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You really do pick some ridiculous comparisons and falsehoods.  

Best to ignore him. He's an American troll ...... don't respond, it is what he feeds on 

Please take the deep breath Mate and explain your post.

1 minute ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Ah, the farcically named Independent again, what appalling taste you have 

Spoken like a true Brexiteer. I did look for corresponding articles in The Express, The Mail and The Sun but it seems there weren't any, odd that.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Huge numbers of people have difficulty understanding a simple credit agreement or a gas bill, and yet you propose overthrowing parliamentary democracy to ratify international treaties by plebiscite.

I don’t know about gas bills, however regarding the electricity bills, they are very confusing in comparison to the electricity bills of 20 years ago., when you only had one supplier. This very week I contacted our electricity supplier ( one of about 100 different suppliers) as we have not seen a bill in 10weeks. The girl at the call centre had me in stitches when she explained that not only do they have many different tariffs, but they also now take 5 different readings. She did agree with me in that it’s very confusing,even to her many work colleagues. So perhaps it is easy to understand how parliament does or does not work to the benefit of the people.

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

Please take the deep breath Mate and explain your post.

Another troll appears out of nowhere. With respect, I am not your mate, and I certainly don't need to explain anything to you. I can see from your comment that English is not your native tongue, which might explain why you cannot understand a simple comment written in English; but again, with respect, that is not my problem 

9 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Spoken like a true Brexiteer. I did look for corresponding articles in The Express, The Mail and The Sun but it seems there weren't any, odd that.

Did you look in the Guardian, or have you already tucked it under your pillow, in order to facilitate a comforting night’s sleep

Archived