Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Why, yes, the CBI, World Bank and IMF are inextricably linked to the bodies that own the UK's debt. And the other organisations base a large part of their work on the information that such bodies provide to them.

Like pension funds?  Perhaps it would be better just to save for your retirement in a shoebox under the bed.  Or trust your employer to provide your pension?  Or just provide a pension out of the current account through taxation, and not bother saving for it at all? Throw ourselves on the mercy of future generations.

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Of course it is!  Apart from the possible impact on the economy short-term, the added hurdles in dealing with our closest trading partners, a reduction in travel freedom and employment opportunities for our young people, a reduction in international co-operation, I really don't see any significant down-side.  We'll still play in European football competitions, 6 Nations will still go ahead, what's the problem?

And think of the upside! Taking back control.  No more faceless bureaucrats, except for British ones in Whitehall (and Swansea and Gateshead and Liverpool and Glasgow).  I'm sure the guys on here will come up with loads more advantages as well.  

Not sure your irony will be universally understood! ?

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Because it's impossible to accurately predict the impact of Brexit. There are too many variables.

I would have expected someone of your vastly superior (almost unearthly) intelligence to know this.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/14/professor-stephen-hawkings-unnerving-warning-brexit-ahead-death-aged-76-7385726/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Because it's impossible to accurately predict the impact of Brexit. There are too many variables.

I would have expected someone of your vastly superior (almost unearthly) intelligence to know this.

That's why it's called an assessment 

Just now, Khun Han said:

In view of the factThat's why  that more and more companies are robbing their company pension funds blind in order to pay out huge bonuses and redundancy pay-offs to senior bosses, putting your money under the bed becomes ever more appealing. Just read today about a £200m shortfall in the Toys R Us fund.

That's why people were encouraged to invest in private pension funds; so that their salary and their pension were not dependent on the solvency of the same company.  

The shortfall in the Toys R U/S fund may well be due to over-commitment to previous and current employees, lack of growth by the company, and poor prediction of growth in a low-inflation economy; again, the reason that modern pensions are "defined contribution" rather than "defined benefit"; the risk of investement performance is not unfairly placed on the last people to retire, who, having contributed through their working lives, discover that the pot is empty when its their turn.

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

It is impossible to predict what the post-Brexit UK economy will look like in 2 years or 5 years, or whenever.

What you are describing are educated guesses based on worst case scenarios. 

No.  The worst case is war in Europe.  All the predictions are based on a reasonably favourable general political and economic climate.  I'm not sure how much our leaders are going out of their way to make sure this comes to pass, but some of their hangers-on are certainly being less than helpful.

• Like 2

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

Not that I can think of.  Breaking free from an organisation bent on creating a federal Europe ruled by a bunch of unreasonable and inflexible old men who we have no direct power to elect or de-select is the only one I think.

I'm not sure you're allowed to say "unreasonable and inflexible old men" on TV

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Khun Han said:

You would think that any sane person with an interest in this subject would, at some point, ask themself how all the 'experts' got their predictions of the immediate post-referendum scenario so wildly, utterly wrong. An immediate recession, with more than half-a-million losing their jobs, they predicted. Andy Haldane's explanation was that consumer spending remained buoyant. But this excuse has been proven wrong by the economy continuing with steady growth whilst consumer spending has slowed. The glaring answer, of course, is that they didn't really get it wrong. They just made it all up in order to scare people away from voting for brexit. Just as they are continuing to make up economic downturn scenarios in order to scare people into accepting what will effectively be a non-brexit. Politicial historians of future generations will have a field day with the reasons why.

'They' this, 'they' that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Why, yes, the CBI, World Bank and IMF are inextricably linked to the bodies that own the UK's debt. And the other organisations base a large part of their work on the information that such bodies provide to them.

That wasn't what I asked. What I asked was whether they were ALL OWNED by the UK banks and you come back with some half-cocked answer saying yes, three of them are linked and then you rummage around in the shallows trying desperately to find an association for the remainder. You're so desperate to show that all these entities are just really one big enemy and that they're all working in unison to thwart the will of the people that you've created these imaginary links and now you're publically announcing them, it's wonderful theatre - the CBI (Confederation of British Industry) and the World Bank are in cahoots, you heard it here first! Barking, absolutely barking!.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

It is impossible to predict what the post-Brexit UK economy will look like in 2 years or 5 years, or whenever.

What you are describing are educated guesses based on worst case scenarios. 

Agreed, it is impossible to predict with 100% accuracy what a post-Brexit UK economy will look like in 2 or 5 years, but it is possible to forecast what it will look like at various points in time with a high degree of certainty. Look, let's not play word games, either you believe that it is possible and reasonable to model the future economy or you don't, if you don't then let's stop at this point and go our separate ways because we will never agree on anything.

But if you believe a future economy can be modelled with a reasonable degree of certainty and accuracy and you have some confidence in the abilities of economists from various groups to do that, you'll know that ALL the models are painting are a very very dangerous financial picture. And it's not just that all the models are painting a worst case scenario, it doesn't work like that, models are showing a likely or probable outcome, it's simply not in the best interests of the model or the modellers to do otherwise, as we have already seen.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

I couldn't care less what you asked. Your attempts at debate get ever-more puerile and personal. You can continue with your inane attempts to ridicule, and I'll just continue to turn your posts back on you by presenting the realities.

That's too funny, you couldn't care what question was asked, you're going to answer a different one. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

Agreed, it is impossible to predict with 100% accuracy what a post-Brexit UK economy will look like in 2 or 5 years, but it is possible to forecast what it will look like at various points in time with a high degree of certainty. Look, let's not play word games, either you believe that it is possible and reasonable to model the future economy or you don't, if you don't then let's stop at this point and go our separate ways because we will never agree on anything.

But if you believe a future economy can be modelled with a reasonable degree of certainty and accuracy and you have some confidence in the abilities of economists from various groups to do that, you'll know that ALL the models are painting are a very very dangerous financial picture. And it's not just that all the models are painting a worst case scenario, it doesn't work like that, models are showing a likely or probable outcome, it's simply not in the best interests of the model or the modellers to do otherwise, as we have already seen.

You need to do a bit of reading up on the history of economic modelling/profiling. But it will upset you. It's success rates are shockingly poor, and I'm not just referring to recent events.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Not that I can think of.  Breaking free from an organisation bent on creating a federal Europe ruled by a bunch of unreasonable and inflexible old men who we have no direct power to elect or de-select is the only one I think.

"Breaking free" of the land mass of Europe to the East with only the Atlantic ocean to our West, what could possibly go wrong! 

• Sad 1