Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

12 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

They did not do well but they are still the most popular choice, is that difficult for you to understand?  Elections are not won by percentages gained or lost, they are won by majorities, and SNP held theirs.

I agree, which is why the reaction by many to Labour's performance in the last general election made no sense. But, just as with the Tories, the SNP's popularity fell markedly. And, according to the latest opinion polls, the SNP's popularity has continued to fall.

• Like 1

Are there any estimations how long the separation of Scotland from UK would take after the vote?

Hopefully it would not be as slow as this brexit has been. 

6 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

I agree, which is why the reaction by many to Labour's performance in the last general election made no sense. But, just as with the Tories, the SNP's popularity fell markedly. And, according to the latest opinion polls, the SNP's popularity has continued to fall.

It has, but the independence polls haven't continued to fall, which is really what we were talking about.

44 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Are there any estimations how long the separation of Scotland from UK would take after the vote?

Hopefully it would not be as slow as this brexit has been. 

Well the UK has been a member of the EU in it's various forms for around 40 years. Scotland has been part of the UK for more than 300 years.

Scotland and the rest of the UK have full economic union, shared assets, and are a lot more integrated than the UK is with the EU. So I don’t think it would be a quick process.

If it does ever happen (and I hope it doesn’t), I just hope it is an amicable split.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:45 PM, Jip99 said:

Indeed, none of your business, but this is an open forum and I am content to confirm that the future of the UK affects my incomes (pension+pension+remuneration) and more importantly the futures (and inheritances) of my daughters. I voted (as I am sure we all did) for a better future for our loved ones.

Unfortunately, you missed the humour in my eggs comment - perhaps because you don't live in Thailand :smile: - with the lax health & safety/hygiene regulations here, the likes of DEFRA/EU are irrelevant.

Touché :smile:

You are right I don't live in Thailand anymore.  When we did we bought our eggs from the local market (usually duck eggs actually) and I don't remember any adverse side effects.

As I said none of my business about how Brexit affects you personally.  I do agree that we all voted for what we feel is best for our children.  It is a great pity that more young people didn't go out and vote because it is their future we are affecting.

Maybe, just maybe, the Brexit that the leavers voted for would be good for the future of Britain, but you aren't getting what you voted for.  The promises made were never viable and although you voted in good faith you were lied to and betrayed.  It is OK to say that May and Davis and the negotiators are failing to deliver but in fact they can't deliver.  That was evident from day one.

We are all losing here and you should be angry about that, I know I am.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Which polls are those? The Ipsos Mori poll of last weekend had support for independence at 48%. That is as high as it as ever been.

"With the undecideds removed, the percentage backing independence rose to 48%. "

36 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I am also angry, but about the ineptitude of government.... prior to the referendum and since.

Nothing changes my mind about the decision to vote to leave the EU.... I was up for that long before the vote. I voted to leave the EU because I preferred that to staying in the EU. Not necessarily for me, but the major issue was no that one (Cameron, the EU, May, the Tories) could tell us what BREXIT looked like. Any lies on the Leave side were no more influencing than the lies on the Remain side.

Whilst Brexit opened the door to a right wing element to make it (mainly) an immigration issue - and an extreme one in their case - it was never going to be a situation where people were forcibly repatriated, Sharia law outlawed and mosques demolished (nor should it be).

Brexit for me was about the principle of taking control back over a number of issues... laws that affected the UK, the right to set limits/quotas on immigration - and refugees. Decisions that felt should be taken at national level, not EU level. It was also about a belief that the EU had grown out of control and was unrecognisable from the EEC that we joined in 1973. I find myself relating to speeches by Peter Shore and Tony Benn - politicians who I had voted against all my life. It is nothing about imperialism and bringing back the old empire days - far from it.

As much as I cannot relate to the politics of Nigel Farage I do applaud him for securing the referendum - something that may have been unnecessary if the highly capable Cameron had had the balls to do his job properly - oh, how I wish Cameron was a Brexiteer and leading the exit.

So, I don't care what number it had on the Brexit bus but I did like the idea that funds saved from EU contributions would give the option of better funding for the NHS. I liked the idea that the UK, rather than the EU could determine how many refugees it accepted and I liked the idea that the UK had control of it's own borders - Freedom of Movement was a good idea when there were 9 central European countries.

Should there have been a bet defined package of what Brexit entailed ? Yes, of course, but even the EU had no blueprint for a member leaving, as didn't Cameron's government! Article 50 was written with the intention of it never being used.... it was like having a heading 'The theory of physics'... with blank pages below.

Is it a complete balls up ? Yes it is, for a number of reasons and few people come out of this with any credit - however, that still does not make the fundamental decision to leave wrong.

Good post and well argued.

No buts from me this time although I would ask one more question.  Given where we are today, do you think  Brexit, as it  looks now, is going to deliver what you voted for? 

I know that is a bit unfair given that nothing as yet has been agreed in writing but with all the concessions now in place I think it is valid.

• Like 1

It's not just May who is incompetent  - the whole team is. Recently David Davis was talking about the importance of avoiding customs tariffs on services in any post Brexit agreement . There are no customs tariffs on services  - you think he would have realized that by now!

We are coming up to two years after the referendum and no one has come up with any  sort of idea of what we want -  other than "cake and eat it" proposals that would be impossible anyway under EU law.

Where are the people with the workable plans on the leave side?  Right now the EU red lines have won out over TM ones and we will have to meekly accept whatever is offered as we have no ideas of our own.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Which polls are those? The Ipsos Mori poll of last weekend had support for independence at 48%. That is as high as it as ever been.

"With the undecideds removed, the percentage backing independence rose to 48%. "

Erm, not quite. Even restricting it to just Ipsos Mori polling since September 2016, always best to compare results from the same pollster due to varying methodologies used (particularly as this pollster, since Aug15, has almost always shown the indy vote to be a few % points above the others at similar times), the support for independence has been:

Sep16 - 47%

Mar17 - 51%

May17 - 47%

Mar18 - 48%

So, the recent poll showing support for independence ' as high as it (h)as ever been'? Don't really think so. 

• Like 1

Sorry to be late on parade; work and all that!

I am saddened to read the churlish comments about education. EVERYTHING I have is a result of education. In our knowledge based economy, education is key.

For those who don't understand that, I am depressed.

Two recent examples on here:

I discussed nerve agents and how plants, batches could be identified. No comment.

I explained the Cambridge Analytica / Facebook issues in terms of neural networks. No comment.

So let's leave it at that.

15 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Sorry to be late on parade; work and all that!

I am saddened to read the churlish comments about education. EVERYTHING I have is a result of education. In our knowledge based economy, education is key.

For those who don't understand that, I am depressed.

Two recent examples on here:

I discussed nerve agents and how plants, batches could be identified. No comment.

I explained the Cambridge Analytica / Facebook issues in terms of neural networks. No comment.

So let's leave it at that.

Re Facebook, I poked you.

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

I always like reading your post, even though you are a ( soft. ) remainer. You always try to offer a balanced opinion, unlike some arrogant remoaners on this thread. Two points I would Like to raise with you. 1/ You were nfluenced into voting remain, by the scare stories  that London would lose it’s banking hub, which obviously has’t happened, and likely may never happen. 2/ Yes Johnson did  go from a remainer to a passionate Brexiteer, though this change did occur before the referendum, but maybe, just maybe this occurred when he became fully aware of the advantages to leaving, and realising that the E.U could never be changed by remaining in.

I was giving the banking hub as an example (hence the etc. etc.). Of course we do not know what we will lose and hopefully with the Brexit getting softer and softer it won't be too much.  By the way you call me a (soft) remainer but as I am looking for a soft Brexit maybe that should be a (soft) leaver. :smile:

As  for Boris you are right he changed his colours directly before the Brexit campaign and then became the driving force behind it.  He had until then written extensively on the importance of staying in.  It was his opportunity to oust Cameron, which he did, before running scared once he had seen what he had done, and then backed May to pick up the poisoned chalice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

The liked story has zero to do with 'Brexit' in any way.

Any real day to day problems caused by Brexit won't start until next year.

I would think any day to day problems with Brexit will come after December 2020.   That is when the reality kicks in