Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Here goes (obviously with my bias).

The Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) has meant that since the 1970s the fishing waters of Europe have been controlled by a higher power. Up until then the UK had a thriving fishing industry supporting many of our coastal towns. This was because the UK has fishing waters rich with the most popular fish to eat.

The CFP has effectively shared out our fishing waters among the other EU member states, under the guise of environmental measures (can you imagine the wine growing regions of France being carved up and shared out?).

The fishing industry in the UK is now a fraction of the size it was, and communities around the coast of the UK have been devastated. That decline over the last 4 decades could be reversed once (if) we manage to come out of the CFP.

Thank you

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

Its catch but either would be the same for the war times, it was a tad dangerous to go out fishing.

It always was rather more so in times of war for obvious reasons

Fishing was never plain sailing thats why I soon wrapped my hand in

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

The first is employees and the second is landings in thousand tonnes, that is what I am on about.

Terrible plot, no references or legends. And it looks like the EU have stuffed it all up anyway. Congratulations!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Let's hope the standard of literacy has improved.

21 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Let's hope the standard of literacy has improved.

Typical reply from someone who has nothing to say.

23 hours ago, oilinki said:

Hardly a problem caused by EU?

Nevertheless, under the United Kingdom's immigration arrangements Commonwealth citizens enjoy certain advantages:

• Commonwealth citizens born before 1 January 1983 may by virtue of having a parent born in the United Kingdom and Islands have the right of abode therein – such persons are exempt from all immigration control.
  • Commonwealth citizens with a grandparent born in the United Kingdom and Islands may be admitted for up to five years on this basis, and thereafter be granted indefinite leave to remain.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_citizen

Well we have enough migrants and criminal migrants. I don’t want them and neither does other people that voted out 

we want out now our kf customs union out of single market. Not tomorrow be yeaterday

now we have another 3 year of market uncertainty plus there could be another election by then and traitor Corbyn could get in

15 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

^Thanks for the post. To be honest, I also feel conned with the Euro. Nobody I know wanted to have this "new currency" and all items finally doubled in price. When we still had the German Mark and I took out 700 for one week, I had to take out the same amount in Euros. 

Let's just say that a lot of us got conned and canned by our governments. Nobody was asking me if I wanted the Euro. 

When I went to Germany in 1972 it was 11.40 marks to the pound, when I left two and a half years later it had dropped to just under 6 marks to the pound. During that time a beer remained around 1 mark but the price nearly doubled for us, I suppose we have all been conned by the German government.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grouse said:

See my post. On BALANCE a Muslim represents a heightened risk and an unnecessary one at a UK airport 

It is not just risk, there is overall perception. The first time my wife went to the UK she had to travel alone as I had to go earlier. She was taken into an office and interviewed for 20 minutes by a sikh, or black man with a turban as she put it, didn't go down well.

With the current situation created by brexit there should be some discretion used in who should man the front line on border control.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

When I went to Germany in 1972 it was 11.40 marks to the pound, when I left two and a half years later it had dropped to just under 6 marks to the pound. During that time a beer remained around 1 mark but the price nearly doubled for us, I suppose we have all been conned by the German government.

When I went to Germany in 1972 it was less than 8 marks to the pound.

9 hours ago, nauseus said:

Terrible plot, no references or legends. And it looks like the EU have stuffed it all up anyway. Congratulations!

If you think it looks like the EU stuffed it up then you can't read a graph, congratulations!  

It is very clear from the graphs that the catch went down between the two marked periods despite fishing continuing at the same rate.  Now, that loss of catch size was not down to the EU doing anything at all as it was before the CFP.

So, we have established that there was a loss of catch for British fishermen before the CFP, can you explain it?  No, you still want to blame the EU despite that coming later.  I can explain it, it was caused by dwindling stocks.

And here is the origin of those two graphs, without the marked dates of EEC ascension and the quotas beginning, but with the legends.  And by the way, before calling anyone's data terrible you could actually try to produce some that supports your own arguement, or isn't there any?

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN02788#fullreport

29 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It is not just risk, there is overall perception. The first time my wife went to the UK she had to travel alone as I had to go earlier. She was taken into an office and interviewed for 20 minutes by a sikh, or black man with a turban as she put it, didn't go down well.

With the current situation created by brexit there should be some discretion used in who should man the front line on border control.

Discretion is used they have to :-

Be a UK National with no restrictions on their stay.

Have lived in the UK for the last 5 years

Pass background and security checks

Pass a medical examination

Have a good level of physical fitness

Are you suggesting we have some sort of caste system and give Border officers first and second  class citizen status because restricting who they can and can't interview does just that and is not conducive to good policing. The only requirement on an officer is they interview all people with respect  

•  

47 minutes ago, sandyf said:

No, it wasn't!  The exchange rates are all on the net, it moved between 7.6 and 8.3 throughout 1972.  And its hardly Germanys fault that the pound has been devaluing steadily ever since, now being worth just 10% of what it wàs in 1973, so just what is this con that you refer to?

Edited by Kieran00001

39 minutes ago, sandyf said:

We are never going to organise things around your families prejudices.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

If you think it looks like the EU stuffed it up then you can't read a graph, congratulations!  

It is very clear from the graphs that the catch went down between the two marked periods despite fishing continuing at the same rate.  Now, that loss of catch size was not down to the EU doing anything at all as it was before the CFP.

So, we have established that there was a loss of catch for British fishermen before the CFP, can you explain it?  No, you still want to blame the EU despite that coming later.  I can explain it, it was caused by dwindling stocks.

And here is the origin of those two graphs, without the marked dates of EEC ascension and the quotas beginning, but with the legends.  And by the way, before calling anyone's data terrible you could actually try to produce some that supports your own arguement, or isn't there any?

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN02788#fullreport

Well thanks for the link. But the UK catch and fishing industry employment has still decreased since membership of the EEC/EU and then the quotas so what's so great about that for the British fisherman?

23 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Loss of catch before CFP (i.e. late 70's) was due to UK fleet backing off after losing the last cod war with Iceland.

18 hours ago, nontabury said:

Yes, much better to take into account the opinions of Islington based Guradian reporters. Or for that matter, disgruntled SNP supporters living in outer Manila.

After 20 years in deepest Thailand, you have clearly picked up a lot in the 5 minutes you have been back in the UK. But, as I said, if you wish build your frame of reference around Daily Express headlines and sensationalist TV programs designed to turn your brain to dopamine-dependent, copliant mush, then that is your choice. It certainly explains why Facebook makes up the foundation of 95% of all your arguments.

Cambridge Analytica and The Dark Arts of Voter Manipulation

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Well thanks for the link. But the UK catch and fishing industry employment has still decreased since membership of the EEC/EU and then the quotas so what's so great about that for the British fisherman?

It's great because it has saved their industry, it has taken it from being broken, in steady decline, to be the most profitable it has ever been and the most profitable in the EU, without the epdecline in catch they would have fished some species into extinction and lost far more jobs.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Loss of catch before CFP (i.e. late 70's) was due to UK fleet backing off after losing the last cod war with Iceland.

When they finally lost, thousands of jobs were lost, can you see that, fairly insignificant in relation to the earlier in the century, drop in employees on the graph?  Now look at what happened to the catch size following that drop in employees, a much larger drop in catch, the two are clearly not proportional.  Despite your assertion of the cause, thos is not supported by the data, the data shows us that catch size reduced at a much greater rate than reduction in fishing, that's because it was unsustainable, the stocks were dwindling.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Look at the historic development of the pound compared to DM/Gulden and Euro. Interesting reading, that shows that the brexiteers will end up very disappointed.