PM Prayut urges all parties concerned to help solve prostitution problem

webfact

23 minutes ago, micmichd said:

So what?

Farangs come to Thailand once a year, pick a young Thai lady, promise her a rose garden, and then expect the young lady to stay away from sex with others and wait - maybe forever.

Did you do that when you were young?

A Thai lady is free ( that's what "Thai" means), she's not anyone's property, especially not the property of an old Farang butterfly. 

If you have the money, then please hand it over. If you can't afford a relationship with a Thai lady (and her family), then you better stay away. 

I am still young (sort of, mid 30s), and the last thing I'd do is find the love of my life in a bar (with the staff). The lower the quality, the more financially oriented it becomes.

When you say "please hand the money" you kind of sound like them :) Kind of, because they don't say please. :)

Edited by lkv

It will never be ended but it could be controlled.  Bangkok is more or less controlled in which certain areas are available to foreigners for their 'entertainment'.  It is less obvious on the streets and much of the night 'trade' has been moved off Sukhumvit to the side streets.

Pattaya is very uncontrolled and in your face.  The trade needs to be controlled so both mongers and families can enjoy a trip there (not to mentioning cleaning up the beach and sea).

Places like Walking Street and Soi 6 and 8 need to have a viable police presence and a sign placed at the end of the Soi indicating one is entering an 'entertainment zone so families can avoid the scene.

Control would bring more families into these places and provide more opportunities for employment in more stable occupations for ladies or near ladies. In addition- the police would be in a better position to respond to bar fights; overcharging; theft etc. if they limited any expansion to defined areas .

IMHO the General was mostly upset over the fact that Thailand and prostitution was mentioned in the same breath by a government official of another country causing Thailand to allegedly 'lose face'. 

• Thanks 1

Instead, he said authorities responsible for prostitution problem must strictly enforce the law and, at the same time, all parties concerned, especially those in the tourism sector must try to change the image of Pattaya into a destination of quality tourism and not as a sex destination.

How good is Prayuth in maths? How long would it take for him to figure out that Thailand would be similar to Burma without prostitution? 

That's not just naive. You can't make up such insanity, can you?

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many people go to Thailand for other reasons: great food, great weather, friendly people in general, learning a new culture, more affordable prices, less of a nanny state than most European countries. Pattaya does have that reputation and some dreary people who usually have never been to Thailand cast the whole country like that! Yawn

Edited by Khun Ed
spelling
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, oyster said:

Pattaya was created as an r&r zone for the US during the Nam offensive. When the war stopped Pattaya started.

Pattaya was not "created as an r&r zone for the US". The overwhelming majority of US military that came to Thailand for R&R during the American War never left Bangkok.

I think the Germans can lay claim to 'discovering' Pattaya before anyone's war was over.

Another CLASSIC press release from this man. As usual, he just screams of complete and utter carelessness in actually addressing the real issues about why people are forced / decided to enter those types of careers. He loves 'urging all parties', whatever the hell that entails. 

Anyone who has ever spent a reasonable amount of time here knows that yes, there is a world renowned sex scene for tourists here. Just like it is in places like Amsterdam. What this charlatan fails to address is that actually, beyond the eyes of the ever so important tourists, there is a HUGE sex scene geared towards locals. This far exceeds places like Pattaya and Phuket where most tourists frequent. Does that part of the culture not need to be cleansed?

It is also highly amusing, especially after the recent scandal with the Victoria Secret brothel in Bangkok, that most of the people in senior positions within the police and the government have been involved in covering up such places and allowing them to run completely untouched by the law. That copper who just so happened to have a $6M loan from the brothel owner tells us all we need to know. 

I have said it before, but it really is like the blind leading the blind here at the moment. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Stop seeing it as a problem and the issue will go away. Most of the population does not see it as a problem.

The great obscenity in Thailand isn't the sex industry, it's the corrupt military junta governing the country.

Prayuts lack of intellect is revealed with his policy of diminishing prostitution,  but insisting on maintaining a denial of why the sex industry is so necessary in Thailand. 

Too many single mothers from Issan and other rural provinces, supporting too many fatherless kids; and SFA welfare support. 

• Like 1

Thai people do not see prostitution as something degrading as western people do .  My experience married to a Thai woman , is that Thais don't

" Make Love " as we western people know it ; sex is a quick in and out that can be enjoyable for both , but feelings of " Love " are not a part of it .

Married or not women will have sex for money or gold .  Thailand is caught between two stools , low wages means manufactured products market at a competitive price ; higher wages that provide a decent living means that Thailand will no longer have a competitive edge in the market .

Mothers and fathers are quite happy for their daughter to go to Bangkok , Pattaya or Phuket to be a bar girl or masseuse , in the full knowledge of how the money is earned , sending lots of money home to their impoverished rural region .  In a country town or big village , at the evening market it is quite normal for an elderly man to be propositioned for sex by one or more young girls .  I understand that chains of massage parlours are a massive business , to do away with them will lose a huge amount of tourist business .  Thailand is a cheap destination , ( Sadly ) for the lower end of the market ; Thailand doesn't have what is needed to cater for the upper end of the market , or only on a small scale .  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, z42 said:

I would dread to think just how much of a gaping hole (no pun intended) shutting down the sex trade would leave.

These foreign mongers, for all their flaws do pump a lot of cash in and this money does go to Thai brass on multiple levels.. Regulate it and actually make it safer for the ladies and gents working in this trade, and make even more cash too, forget so called morals. They certainly don't appear to exist at a government level

Yep, one only has to stand outside the numerous Currency exchange booths in Pattaya or Bangkok to realise how much raw foreign currency is piped into Thailand, I've no doubt that it's a significant bounty to the government.    

3 hours ago, Thaifly88 said:

The current GDP estimate of tourism's contribution to Thailand's economy is 17%, so not sure where the gentleman who quotes 40% for the sex industry is sourcing his data. Of the 17%, non sex tourism would be the vast majority of it.

If sex tourism disappeared tomorrow, Pattaya would continue on with a blip on the graph showing a temporary decline before resuming it's rise in tourist numbers as the Chinese continue their unabated arrivals along with European and Russian families.

Thailand continues to be an extremely popular tourist destination worldwide regardless of political uncertainty, strong baht, tsunami's etc. 

Please.. whilst I don't agree with people who grossly exaggerate the sex tourism figures in regards to GDP, if there is one place where the shit would hit the fan after a serious crackdown on prostitution, then it is certainly Pattaya. I certainly would not want to be around to see the aftermath.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Pattaya was not "created as an r&r zone for the US". The overwhelming majority of US military that came to Thailand for R&R during the American War never left Bangkok.

I think the Germans can lay claim to 'discovering' Pattaya before anyone's war was over.

While I am not privy to the statistics; I do know I first came to Pattaya in 1967, while stationed in Vietnam. I was not alone and Pattaya was still in its infancy. However, I think we all fool ourselves claiming any Westerner created sex entertainment areas in Thailand.  

The difference between the Foreign sex scene and the Thai sex scene is that the Thai Scene is much more discrete. Most foreigners would not know where to find the Thai sex scene unless they have lived in Thailand a long time or can speak and understand Thai and visit those areas. I once went with my step son to a Thai only restaurant in a remote border village. The names of the available ladies and prices were imprinted on the 'menu'.  

The Phuket and Pattaya sex scene for foreigners is very unregulated; in your face; and allowed to move around mostly at will.  These are the images that the World sees of Thailand.. The GoGo scene; the scantily clad lasses out front; the beer bar crowd etc.  They need to enforce some zoning so the not interested in sex tourist trade does not clash with the mongers -It appears North Pattaya is mostly being developed that way and as bar rental-lease renewal prices rise- relocation or closure takes place and a natural culling occurs.  I would expect more relocation towards Jomtien just as relocation in Bangkok is moving more towards mid Sukhumvit with the eventual closure of Nana Plaza and possibly Cowboy.

5 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

So called?  What would you call morals?  Is there such a thing? 

To forget one's morals is to contribute to the decadence of society.  More importantly, it is to be willfully ignorant of one's eternal interests--to sacrifice one's hope of eternal existence for a few very short moments of pleasure.  I say it's not worth it.  The eternal prize is worth risking everything for, and giving up everything in the effort, as an olympian does in seeking the gold medal.

And that statement right there alludes to the solution.  I think, as unpopular as their efforts have been portrayed, the attempts by the Shinawatras to strengthen the economy among the poorer classes were as much effective toward alleviating the core basis for prostitution as any.  Very few women desire such an ignominious and disagreeable "job."  Providing them better means of supporting themselves and their families would be the most efficient method of elevating the country out of its shame.

"Very few women desire such an ignominious and disagreeable "job."  Providing them better means of supporting themselves and their families would be the most efficient method of elevating the country out of its shame. "

Can't agree with you, I've been coming to Thailand since the mid 70's, even lived there for 2 years and have many many Thai friends.  

More than a few of them are Bar girls and many are part time Freelancers, who hold "good" jobs one of them (my regular TG) is a Bangkok accountant with 3 kids who needs to work freelance to make ends meet. 

She (and the others) is quite open about how she enjoys sex with farang guys,  but understandably it's all about the money at the end of the day.

Read your history, prostitution has always been a significant industry way back through Thai history.

Any rural city or town you visit in Thailand offers sex workers, and the local Thai guys are reliable and regular customers.

Get to know the working girls, and listen to what they have to say about why and how they find sex work. 

You'd be shocked to know how huge the part time Freelancer population in Thailand is,  and it's increasing as the ordinary Thai women find it hard to make ends meet in the current economy.

Believe me, I tell it from personal and ongoing experience.