Tourists flee in terror as jet ski operator shoots rival dead on Chaweng beach, Koh Samui

webfact

1 hour ago, ScammedInThailand said:

You do realise that Wikipedia is made up of totally unsubstantiated contributions from all and sundry don't you? 

Furthermore, more reputable sources have shown a steady decline in visitor numbers to Thailand in recent years - indeed, British tourists fell by 50% in 2016-17. [reasons cited - artificially high Baht, other more 'enticing' Asian destinations such as Cambodia and Vietnam and the risks of death or injury]. 

Maybe you need to follow your own advice....?

Rubbish and nonsense.......provide links from reputable sources to confirm the decline of UK tourists and visitors overall or move on. BTW THB is not artificially high,  Sterling was/is weak..... plus 2017 was a record year for UK tourism to Thailand !!!

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/tourist-

Edited by simoh1490
  • Haha 1

Whatever, I don't think the recipient of the bullet thought it was too short.
Nope,it is standard 4".however I'm wondering if anyone had noticed that the other gun is a fake,barrel is blocked by plastic plug like one of those guns that are sold on festivals.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Samui has long attracted a rather lowlife element. This is true both in the makeup of the average tourist, a portion of the ex-pats who live there, and with the locals. There are alot of small time gangsters on the island. Usually the top few families do a pretty good job of keeping them in line. But, one can only do so much. 

The shootout was between two top family members. 

• Like 2

Yes, the are nice man, always good for other people. But carrying a Gun and bring it to work, where kids playing, and when there is trouble, use it!!

I seen this before when i lived in Phuket,, a disput and the pull a gun..

Luckily no other where hurt..

In reply to your suggestion that we read the "Wiki" article, may I suggest a few points to consider as well:

* The stats offered by Tourism Thailand are often proven to be fictitious

* Even if the daily amount spent is accurate I would suggest to you that this is a number derived by taking the total amount of the holiday - which is paid in advance in China and covers the airfare & hotel (buffet breakfast included) & tour buses - does not trickle down in any great amount to the average Thai vendor

* Talk to the vendors and most will tell you about the "Zero Baht Tourists" who hoard the breakfast buffet food in their beach bags so they don't have to buy lunch . And how they don't spend money with local street folks. The big tour groups and attractions are where the money is going. 

* It would appear that the jet ski combatants were struggling to get whatever they could , as the number of satangs spent by Chinese tourists is  so miserly.

10 hours ago, Nasrullah said:

It's becoming more dog eat dog in Land Of Scams.....I fear it will only get worse as western tourists continue

to downsize their holiday spend....the glory spending days of say 2000-2007 are well and truly over...

Thais are feeling the pinch!

Here, read this and come back to me with questions, that way you'll know what you're talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

For info, for everyone else, tourist numbers have increased year on year but most importantly the average spend per tourist has also increased year on year. And as much as people might not want to believe it, Chinese tourists account for over 25% of all visitors to Thailand AND their daily average spend is also well over the average.

9 hours ago, dinsdale said:

And here we are with Prayut worried about Thailand being a sex tourist destination rather than a dangerous destination. There are guns absolutely everywhere in this country with hot headed men with the brains of children holding them.

Next thing you know they’ll be shooting down school kids or blasting away at a country and western concert. Where else would you get that kind of reaction from hot headed men with the brains of children? 

Just saying......

22 minutes ago, kentrot said:

In reply to your suggestion that we read the "Wiki" article, may I suggest a few points to consider as well:

* The stats offered by Tourism Thailand are often proven to be fictitious

* Even if the daily amount spent is accurate I would suggest to you that this is a number derived by taking the total amount of the holiday - which is paid in advance in China and covers the airfare & hotel (buffet breakfast included) & tour buses - does not trickle down in any great amount to the average Thai vendor

* Talk to the vendors and most will tell you about the "Zero Baht Tourists" who hoard the breakfast buffet food in their beach bags so they don't have to buy lunch . And how they don't spend money with local street folks. The big tour groups and attractions are where the money is going. 

* It would appear that the jet ski combatants were struggling to get whatever they could , as the number of satangs spent by Chinese tourists is  so miserly.

10 hours ago, Nasrullah said:

It's becoming more dog eat dog in Land Of Scams.....I fear it will only get worse as western tourists continue

to downsize their holiday spend....the glory spending days of say 2000-2007 are well and truly over...

Here, read this and come back to me with questions, that way you'll know what you're talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

For info, for everyone else, tourist numbers have increased year on year but most importantly the average spend per tourist has also increased year on year. And as much as people might not want to believe it, Chinese tourists account for over 25% of all visitors to Thailand AND their daily average spend is also well over the average.

Tourist spend per day is calculated by sampling, an internationally accepted and proven method of determining things such as tourist spend. The way it works is the sample'er, TAT in this instance, contracts to receive set types of data from a large number of tourists related outlets, hotels, restaurants, entertainment venues, airlines etc etc, the same type of data are collected from the same outlets on the same frequency. Information such as length of stay amount spent in different categories, nationality etc are collected. That data is then extrapolated to cover the entire industry and the figures arrived at - the margin for error in such calculations is under 5%. So no, zero dollar tours which once were a factor are much less so these days but some businesses whose prices are too high or don't do much business anyway, need something to blame.

The TAT figures may not be 100% accurate but they have been proven to be consistent over many years, if you can provide a link to a reputable source that argues sensibly why and how TAT's figures are wrong, let's see it.

Its all Ok ! PM Prayut's priority at this stage is to ensure Thailand has no brothels in Pattaya. So please calm down. Shootings by rip off jet ski operators near tourists is his next promise to show peace and LOS all is good! Third promise will be most if not all coppers are not corrupt

2 hours ago, kentrot said:

5 or 6 times a year, I hop a flight to a 2nd tier city in China and I can assure you they spend a lot.  But they spend a lot of it on stuff they're going to carry with them back to China.  Lots of gifts to prove to their relatives and neighbors they're international travelers.   Not on trinkets and the touristy things that westerners do.  And they spend a lot of money on banquets, though you and I will probably never be in the same restaurants because we'd look at the prices and walk out because the place is so expensive.

It's actually fun to watch them find out the baggage/ carry on policy that day and try to get everything into the right bags to minimize their excess baggage fees.  And when they find out they can't bring back so much fresh fruit, they're all eating whatever they can't get on the plane.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nasrullah said:

Thus: The few Western folk here are really under a magnifying glass and are squeezed for the last Satang without mercy!

Stay alert, mind your own business and try to stay under the radar !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, robertson468 said:

You are talking utter rubbish!  Tourist arrivals on Koh Samui are up on an annual basis and it is not only the affect of the Chinese.  Sure, Thailand is a little bit like the wild west, but no more so than USA whose shooting record is appaling.

read my post again.....I'm talking about spending habits....spending less!

18 minutes ago, laislica said:

Thus: The few Western folk here are really under a magnifying glass and are squeezed for the last Satang without mercy!

Stay alert, mind your own business and try to stay under the radar !

Could very well be!-getting squeezed...

Stay alert...stay strong

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Make something highly illegal, watch how widespread it becomes, it's always the case. 
Look at gun control in Venezuela, and look how many shootings go on there. 
Look at how much gun control there is in Switzerland and Canada, and how many shootings occur there 

Dont forget the Scandi countries with there Booze restrictions , same thing applies, alot of them still make their own Moonshine, and we all know how Shifaced they get here.

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If you are referring to Samui, Phuket or Pattaya I get what you are saying. But as far as the rest of Thailand goes, I totally understand why people would want to come here. Most Thai people are lovely souls. Fun, kindhearted, warm, easy going, and pleasant to be around. I do not have to constantly look over my shoulders, as I have to do in the US, and many other places. Also, in the US these days, most people are dour, disenchanted, disillusioned, bitter, and just not enjoying themselves, nor does it appear that they are leading fulfilling lives. Here the food is great, a nice tropical climate (for at least half the year!), and for the most part, things are reasonable. And did I mention the women? What is not to like? 

Yup, I agree. I was refering to the tourist spots ................ it's just a chaotic mess with every scam going on you can imagine. Criminals are almost free to do whatever they want & the beach operators/vendors can get really "stroppy" at times if you don't buy anything, even when you politely decline whats on offer. Violence is just around the corner in most tourist spots ..... hence, most expats avoid these places now ......... sadly, it's the tourists who are unaware how these local "hotheads" behave & end up being attacked.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, the guest said:

You must be joking, Phuket is packed.

Are you comparing what you see back to 2006,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 ?

Phuket might looked packed, but its been on the decline mate, just talk to or ask any hotel you stay in if your a new comer to Phuket

• Like 1