Tourists flee in terror as jet ski operator shoots rival dead on Chaweng beach, Koh Samui

webfact

Well on my point of view there will be no quality tourism in Thailand ever as there is a huge lack of quality sevices either from governmental side as well from private side!

So people who have money and want to spend it nice and peaceful and yes with high standards and qualtity wont ever do this in Thailand.

Sure less europeans and more asians coming here....they are happy with what they get. Gunshots around as well!

More and more western tourists avoid this country but as long the money making machne is running it's fine for TAT and all involved in tourism business!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hgma said:

It is time for a nation wide crack down on illegal gun possession! 

RIP

I won't argue your point, but as far as it relating to this article I didn't read in the initial listing that the guns were illegal. Maybe they are and if so that will come out later. Thai citizens can apply for permits and own guns.

The estimated total number of guns (both licit and illicit) held by civilians in Thailand is 10,000,000

The estimated rate of private gun ownership (both licit and illicit) per 100 people in Thailand is 15.6

Source: Karp, Aaron.2007.‘Completing the Count: Civilian firearms - Annexe online.’ Small Arms Survey 2007: Guns and the City.Cambridge:Cambridge University Press,27 August.

With 7.48 registered violent gun deaths per 100,000 people, the rate is also twice as high as that of the US, which had 3.55 deaths per 100,000 people in 2013, according to data provided by the University of Washington's Institute for Health and Metric Evaluation.

Remember when politicians in government were offered guns to buy for a 50% reduced price? And where are all the privately paid for old guns of police officers now, after they were pushed to buy new ones?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Here, read this and come back to me with questions, that way you'll know what you're talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

For info, for everyone else, tourist numbers have increased year on year but most importantly the average spend per tourist has also increased year on year. And as much as people might not want to believe it, Chinese tourists account for over 25% of all visitors to Thailand AND their daily average spend is also well over the average.

What you say is of course true, but that is only one side of the coin. The tourist sector in terms of a source of income has also expanded enormously. There are countless more hotels, guest houses, bars, motor boats, etc fighting over the same business and not all are that profitable. The result is what we see in the OP.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Here, read this and come back to me with questions, that way you'll know what you're talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

For info, for everyone else, tourist numbers have increased year on year but most importantly the average spend per tourist has also increased year on year. And as much as people might not want to believe it, Chinese tourists account for over 25% of all visitors to Thailand AND their daily average spend is also well over the average.

also the price of living has increased .inflation here is much higher than the the western countries 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daveyh said:

You gotta be "in the know" to have a successful "Chinese connection" or have a healthy tourism income ..... It's a closed shop & woe betide anyone encroaching on it! This is Thailand ...... ALL sucessful businesses are definitely paying someone. It's the name of the game here, everyone in authority has some scam/ruse going on ........ fact of life here.

Absolutely wrong I'm afraid, although there may be businesses that operate in that way, mostly though I think what you've written is theoretical only.

In the case of the business I mentioned: there is a marketing manager and they are a pretty talented management team who are always looking at new markets and strategies, they don't sit on their hands and wonder why something happened they're proactive in looking at the stats and adapting accordingly - which is why my wife started to study Chinese eighteen months ago and it's being paid for by the business. Today she's fluent in reading, written and spoken Mandarin so she gets to speak to the tourists and understand some of their motivations. The tourists then take that experience back home and the word  spreads, as a result a local TV crew from China has been to the business three times to film segments that get aired on Chinese TV which in turns begets more business. I think some people look at some Thai businesses and imagine mom and pop sat taking money from tourists for something or other, it ain't like that in many cases. In many examples, these are mature, well equipped educated businesses that are deploying modern business tools.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What you say is of course true, but that is only one side of the coin. The tourist sector in terms of a source of income has also expanded enormously. There are countless more hotels, guest houses, bars, motor boats, etc fighting over the same business and not all are that profitable. The result is what we see in the OP.

4 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

also the price of living has increased .inflation here is much higher than the the western countries 

Both very valid points, if tourists related businesses are sat out there with no customers and no income it's because the level of competition has increased and/or because the business probably wasn't viable in the first place. another possible reason might be that people who earn more, spend more.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 1

I have been spending 2 months in Lamai for the past 8 years (mid June to Mid Aug), every year the number of punters is down but they have been replaced with ever more with families from Europe, Russia etc - last year was the busiest I have ever witnessed on the street and the  restaurants were booming.

Can not speak for Chaweng, but I walk the length of Lamai beach every day and have never observed a dispute about jet skis, and have never seen anyone handling a passport.  I am well aware this has been a problem at Patong and Pattaya and probably many other places.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nasrullah said:

It's becoming more dog eat dog in Land Of Scams.....I fear it will only get worse as western tourists continue

to downsize their holiday spend....the glory spending days of say 2000-2007 are well and truly over...

Thais are feeling the pinch!

Som Nom Na :coffee1:

50 minutes ago, Daveyh said:

Who wants to come here for a holiday with all these "hotheaded Thai Operators/Vendors around?? ToT are trying to promote this country as a "tourist venue for families" .............. so dangerous here not just for competative businesses, but also for tourists refusing to by "vendor wares" .................... it's a nightmare. Holidays are for relaxation ..... difficult when this happens. Sad, sad, sad ..... it should happen here in such a blessed country that has everything.

Apologies .......... somehow saved to wrong topic? Cheers

The thing is that the face and profile of tourism in Thailand has been constantly changing and that's been true since I first started living here in 2004. I remember when western tourist numbers were first down in Pattaya and all the bar owners were screaming that the place would never be the same again, that was early 2000! Chinese and other Asian countries that make up the majority of the tourist numbers into Thailand don't sit in Pattaya or Phuket bars all day and don't spend their nights chasing bar girls so it's no wonder the average western tourist doesn't see them and thinks the world is coming to an end. Try looking at any one of the (non-bar/non-sex) tourist-related businesses in the North which are packed out daily, not with westerners but with Asians, or try talking to one of the tour operators in the North, that'll give you a better idea of what's happening on the tourist front, it is doing very very well.
Amen

4 hours ago, Nasrullah said:

It's becoming more dog eat dog in Land Of Scams.....I fear it will only get worse as western tourists continue

to downsize their holiday spend....the glory spending days of say 2000-2007 are well and truly over...

Thais are feeling the pinch!

it is still not confirmed whether the dispute is family or business related.