Feel the heat? Summer is coming

snoop1130

Feel the heat? Summer is coming

By THE NATION

3e823cf5fab5548ab8f8a711e6dec45c.jpeg

THE THAI Meteorological Department (TMD) will soon announce the start of summer in Thailand, which could see temperatures peak at 42-43 degrees Celsius during April, Nation TV reporter for environment news Ittipat Pinraroj said on Wednesday.

Signalled by a recent shift that sees winds now bringing humidity from the Southern China Sea and the Gulf of Thailand to cover the country, summer would begin around the same time it started last year -– on March 3 – he said.

This is close to the TMD’s earlier forecast that summer will begin in late February and end by mid-May. 

The daily maximum temperature in upper Thailand during summer would be around 35C to 36C , the TMD said. From mid-March to April, some areas would be hit with a peak of 42C to 43C on certain days, the TMD said.

The season may see summer thunderstorms, gusty winds and hail that could damage properties and farm crops. As rainfall might be reduced and insufficient for use in various areas, people were advised to save water, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30339902

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-2-28
  • Sad 1

It has certainly been hot the last couple of afternoons. But is it not a surprise; just a shock to the system for a while.

I always keep my head covered when I'm out and about. Can't be too careful on that score. Also it's best to have a bottle of water with you.

29 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

start of summer in Thailand, which could see temperatures peak at 42-43 degrees Celsius

Global warming has arrived in Thailand. Al Gore's theory is proven. Turn on the environmental cash registers and send the cheques made out personally to Al Gore, C/- Caymen Islands. 

• Like 2

I am prepared for it but haven't felt the heat yet.

My YETI mug is great, can recommend those to all of you..also the sportswear from the big brands like dry-fit or climatecool and so really help against feeling hot. And the wife doesn't have to iron it so she's also happy.

• Like 1

This winter hasn't disappointed. We've had a few cold spells and surprisingly plenty of rain in the central part of Thailand which is very unusual! And the rain continues to pour in many parts of Thailand which is great! It reduces pollution and the heat. I really hope for a rainy summer. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

THE THAI Meteorological Department (TMD) will soon announce the start of summer in Thailand, which could see temperatures peak at 42-43 degrees Celsius during April, Nation TV reporter for environment news Ittipat Pinraroj said on Wednesday.

What happens if they don't announce it? Can I turn off my aircons?

9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Also it's best to have a bottle of water with you".

What for, for those long, long hikes where there are no 7-11s, bars, cafes, restaurants etc as is so frequent here and the risk of death by dehydration is so high?

Not any 7/11s within 20k of me and I daresay many other farang. Can't be too careful JW.  Dehydration creeps up on you and can be so debilitating. Keep a couple of bottles in the pick-up also. take regular sips; especially with the air-con running.

Yesterday at the farm I drank 2 litres in three hours. Ron came to see me and we had a coffee, and a chat, before he got off to the salt flats where it can get into the 50s C.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Yep,  the past 3 days one cycle ride through the rice fields is enough , a gr8 way to tell the heat is on.

Good for you toofamorth.

Many farang don't get enough exercise. I see the western guys pumping iron and drinking beer in my local town (20K away) but they couldn't even run through a rice field let alone ride a bike through one.

Take a bottle of water with you on your cycle jaunts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Not any 7/11s within 20k of me and I daresay many other farang. Can't be too careful JW.  Dehydration creeps up on you and can be so debilitating. Keep a couple of bottles in the pick-up also. take regular sips; especially with the air-con running.

Yesterday at the farm I drank 2 litres in three hours. Ron came to see me and we had a coffee, and a chat, before he got off to the salt flats where it can get into the 50s C.

Geez...you make it dramatically sound as though there is a real risk of us all dying of thirst here.

For some reason I thought your water advice was aimed at the normal 99.9% of the  population here, not you and "Ron"  living in the middle of nowhere where the nearest shop of any description or service station is over 20km away.  Are we supposed to know who "Ron" is and his relevance to this?

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Is that Humperdinck in your avatar?

It's Tony Clifton, from the great movie 'Man on the moon' with Jim Carey, about the biography of Andy Kaufman, Tony Clifton was an alta ego of Andy Kaufman. You will either enjoy the movie or it will make you squirm. 

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

First time for a while I had to hit the ON button on the lounge air-con.  Only for an hour late afternoon.

Know what you mean.  Late yesterday afternoon I realised I was sweating quite heavily for the first time in umpteen months!

Not (personally, and where I live) hot enough to turn on the aircon - but I did need to take a shower to wash off the sweat and cool down.

Edited by dick dasterdly

30 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Geez...you make it dramatically sound as though there is a real risk of us all dying of thirst here.

For some reason I thought your water advice was aimed at the normal 99.9% of the  population here, not you and "Ron"  living in the middle of nowhere where the nearest shop of any description or service station is over 20km away.  Are we supposed to know who "Ron" is and his relevance to this?

Where do I start?

There is a real risk of hurting yourself by not drinking enough. There are plenty of farang up here who have suffered from not drinking enough water. Suffering can be delerium, belly problems and muscle aches. Headaches too. The thing is drink before mega-thirst mode kicks in and another thing JW; don't neglect the salt intake as actin and myosin find difficulty in functioning properly without salt. Sometimes when I'm absolutely shagged-out I take a spoon of salt and I'm ready to get out there again.

"Ron"' is my pal who visits me from time to time. His wife works at the salt extraction business. When the salt is ready to be bagged it is so hot (well over 50C) and also one has to wear shades because salt-blindness can occur. I took a themometer to the fields one day and it reached the maximum of 50C within seconds (lucky the thing didn't explode).

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

"Ron"' is my pal who visits me from time to time. His wife works at the salt extraction business. When the salt is ready to be bagged it is so hot (well over 50C) and also one has to wear shades because salt-blindness can occur. I took a themometer to the fields one day and it reached the maximum of 50C within seconds (lucky the thing didn't explode).

So why haven't you advised us all to wear sunglasses also, then, if there's so much danger?

14 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So why haven't you advised us all to wear sunglasses also, then, if there's so much danger?

If you walked in the salt fields when the salt is ready to be bagged you would have to. Before the salt is ready to be bagged there is water in the bays. Not nearly so hot or bright then. Salt-blindness is just like snow-blindness I reckon. Can't be too careful in Thailand JW. You might not be any good to anyone dead or blind.

But,,, on the upside there are no snakes in the salt-fields. Far too hot for them and no prey to speak of.

Edited by owl sees all

1 hour ago, vogie said:

It's Tony Clifton, from the great movie 'Man on the moon' with Jim Carey, about the biography of Andy Kaufman, Tony Clifton was an alta ego of Andy Kaufman. You will either enjoy the movie or it will make you squirm. 

I'm sorry, I have never heard of any of them, but thanks for letting me know.:sad:

17 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

Englebert?  No.  I am the real Tony Clifton.

17 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

Englebert?  No.  I am the real Tony Clifton.

So the avatar is really you? Are you really an entertainer?