Notaries

tsocr

No.  There are Notarial Services Attorneys in Thailand.  Just Google "Notary Bangkok".  Some will even visit you at your home, which is very convenient. However, you'd need to check whether they'd be acceptable for your purpose, so you may still have to go with the US Embassy.

There is no such thing as a "Notary Public" in Thai law. The people purporting to offer such services, are to my understanding, mostly lawyers, who presumably know that. But I suppose it is hard for them to resist the temptation, when a stupid farang will pay B 1000, or more, to have a signature and seal affixed to a piece of paper. Both sides go home happy !

If you want something that has legal status in your home country, you need to get it from your embassy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allane said:

There is no such thing as a "Notary Public" in Thai law. The people purporting to offer such services, are to my understanding, mostly lawyers, who presumably know that. But I suppose it is hard for them to resist the temptation, when a stupid farang will pay B 1000, or more, to have a signature and seal affixed to a piece of paper. Both sides go home happy !

If you want something that has legal status in your home country, you need to get it from your embassy.

Just more inane Thai-bashing.

In Thailand the equivalent is known as a Notarial Services Attorney.  They are Thai lawyers who've undergone and passed a professional training course before being registered by the Lawyers Council of Thailand.

Thai-notarised documents are widely accepted across the globe.

In Thailand the equivalent is known as a Notarial Services Attorney.  They are Thai lawyers who've undergone and passed a professional training course before being registered by the Lawyers Council of Thailand.

I've had to notarize lots of papers from the US over the years, and I've never been told that a Thai notary is acceptable. It's fifty bucks a pop at the embassy, so I keep hoping. Your best bet is to ask an appropriate authority in the country in which it has to be official. Whenever I dealt with the courts or immigration, I was told it must be a US notary.

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

Worth reading this : https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Thailand-Notary-Service.php

Especially this bit :

As Thailand is not a signatory to the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, in some cases, parties who have engaged notarial services in Thailand may need to have the notarized document authenticated or legalized further at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, or at the Embassy of the country to which the document is to be presented.

I once managed to get some bank account proof (KYC) accepted with the stamp from a non lawyer translator so I guess it really does depend on what you're doing and who you're doing it with.