Legal action to be taken against an illegal golf course on Ko Samui

webfact

Legal action to be taken against an illegal golf course on Ko Samui

By Thai PBS

samui11.jpg

The Royal Forest Department (RFD) is pondering legal action against the proprietor of a golf course on Ko Samui in Surat Thani for alleged land encroachment after it was discovered that most of the golf course has encroached on a forest reserve.

Somkid Jiewkok, chief of the RFD’s forest protection unit on Ko Samui, said that the golf course covers more than 70 rai of land, but only 11 rai are legally owned by the proprietor with Por Bor Thor 5 local tax payment documents.

The RFD will reclaim the 60-rai plus encroached land and demand compensation amounting to 3-4 million baht from the encroacher, he said after the latest round of inspection earlier this week.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/legal-action-taken-illegal-golf-course-ko-samui/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-03-02

The article's photos of developments under construction looks like that huge amounts has been invested up there, in the hills – and a golf course is normally also not cheap to make – just wonder how it can come that far, as one normally need a building permission on Koh Samui...:whistling:

From what I remember there are only 2-3 courses here .One is in bophut hills and is nine holes, other in maenam is 18 and owned by a very rich beer company owner and third is in south .

Either way I cant believe you can nick 60 rai of land, build a golf course and only get fined 3-4 million bht !! :shock1:

7 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The article's photos of developments under construction looks like that huge amounts has been invested up there, in the hills – and a golf course is normally also not cheap to make – just wonder how it can come that far, as one normally need a building permission on Koh Samui...:whistling:

Out of sight out of mind !!

Well until them pesky people got a helicopter !! :laugh:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

From what I remember there are only 2-3 courses here .One is in bophut hills and is nine holes, other in maenam is 18 and owned by a very rich beer company owner and third is in south .

Either way I cant believe you can nick 60 rai of land, build a golf course and only get fined 3-4 million bht !! :shock1:

This is the RSGCC or Royal Samui Golf and Country Club and it is in the hills above Lamai.

It has been there for at least 12 years and operational all of that time - can't imagine why they left it this long to take any action.

Incidentally, the 9 hole Bophut Hills GC was turned into an action playground a while ago, so if RSGCC closes there will only be Santiburi GC in Mae Nam.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Photos Of Chaweng Noi ? Is that land illegal ? 

1 hour ago, captainhornblower said:

This is the RSGCC or Royal Samui Golf and Country Club and it is in the hills above Lamai.

It has been there for at least 12 years and operational all of that time - can't imagine why they left it this long to take any action.

Incidentally, the 9 hole Bophut Hills GC was turned into an action playground a while ago, so if RSGCC closes there will only be Santiburi GC in Mae Nam.

Yeah I thought might be one in south but wasn't sure of location . Flying around today so im sure they will see plenty of things !

25 minutes ago, churchill said:

When the army was here around two months or so ago I was told there were 7 places due to get flattened . Most on beach but also there was a 100 million bht villa due to get knocked down also seemingly.

Glad I don't live in one of these expensive ones in areas that look dodgy dotted all around the island .

1 hour ago, churchill said:

Only time will show. It's normally said that land over a certain slope (45 degrees) cannot be issued a title deed. Much land up hills has for years been said to be illegal occupied – deed or not – been in the national news years ago.

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

Only time will show. It's normally said that land over a certain slope (45 degrees) cannot be issued a title deed. Much land up hills has for years been said to be illegal occupied – deed or not – been in the national news years ago.

They can have only Por Bor Thor 5 land title, like in the OP. 

This deed is for poor farmers on government land and only allow farming, no structures. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

They can have only Por Bor Thor 5 land title, like in the OP. 

This deed is for poor farmers on government land and only allow farming, no structures. 

I've been looking at much land up hills – including a mountain top (over 500 meters up) offered by "someone important", at a very attractive price – but most of it all had only tax receipts as deed, even there was a little house and water tanks at the mountain top. On one hill top close to airport, with a marvelous view, there were already some houses on a neighboring plot to the one I was offered; and it also seem like someone later bought that "tax receipt" hill-top plot, I did not dare to buy, as there now is a villa up there. Perhaps they had the Por Bor Tor 5 upgraded to a real title deed..?

• Like 1

They was a period , some years ago ,  when untitled land was able to be legally upgraded ..

Generally when papers are upgraded adjoining land owners have to agree borders ... however I expect if the same land owner owns one paper and some adjoining land that is untitled then the border can be 'moved' giving him a larger upgraded paper .. I expect this is accepted for small areas ...say 1/2 rai or less but not more and certainly not encroaching on somebody else's or forestry land .

I have heard , in the past , of locals paying officials to upgrade illegally with cuts being taken on all sides on any sale ....

Edited by churchill
  • Like 1

islanders own their islands ignoring any regulations upsetting them and absolutely free doing what ever they want including murders.

Samui is under Surat Thani in turn under Bangkok juridictions meaning three independent maffias like groups of people.

Thanks to PM Prayuth to rebuild all the administrations Corps reinforcing them the Police included but steps by steps nothing can be rushed or too many killings will result.....

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Having a Chanote title deed on the adjoining land, you should be able to claim Chanote owner ship of the new land also.

I don't think that is so easy now .....  in the past possibly . 

Incentives for signatures would need to be given I think .

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 5:16 PM, captainhornblower said:

Wouldn't mind a round of golf one weekend. Does the Mae Nam course let non members in? And how much would I be looking at for a round / club rental?

Cheers 

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Wouldn't mind a round of golf one weekend. Does the Mae Nam course let non members in? And how much would I be looking at for a round / club rental?

Cheers 

Yes, Play & Pay is possible – use to my knowledge to be in level of 4,000-5,000 baht (excl. clubs hire) – more info here, and here with prices (however, I don't know if valid or outdated)...:smile:

• Thanks 1

On 20/03/2018 at 12:16 PM, RickG16 said:

Cheers 

it is rather expensive but they do have some specials which make it easier for residents (still expensive for Thailand). I was given the info a few weeks ago (attached).  The only time the course seems busy is Wednesday morning. Still possible to get late morning or afternoon tee times but the heat is rather murderous at this time of the year.

Image-1.jpg.c1884f1543cc64e1dc72af31cc9d37e0.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah!....raze down the entire green and plant a nice large mountain rice field ! :jap:

But for their defence, similar issues have occured in many developpments in Spain or in France with conflicts of interests, land poaching, corruption etc.  so this is really nothing all that caracteristic to Thailand

Edited by observer90210