State tobacco to suffer first time loss in history

webfact

3 hours ago, The manic said:

Glad I don't have to suffer you as aneighbour... or my kids... Smoking around children is a form of abuse.  Please smoke in your house with windows closed! 

I presume that you are extremely worried about pollution then, .Im not a smoker but I don't think someone smoking in the open air will harm me or anyone else anything like the bad air quality in Bangkok and other cities

Edited by johnsnapo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Profits gone up in smoke then, also drop in profits could

have been the ban on smoking at the beaches:sleep: ,but anything

to reduce consumption is a good thing,its a vile habit that

does the users no good at all.

regards worgeordie

It does me good. A relaxing pipe reduces stress, the real killer. You notice no anti-smoking campaign targets pipes. Life expectancy is exactly the same as non smokers. Give Santa back his pipe.

No further demonstration needed, wherever. One may like smoking, or hate smokers...too much taxes always kills the business. And the loss of revenue on one side will generate another tax somewhere else to compensate it...

Can someone tell me: if I bring in more tobacco than allowed, and I declare it, do I pay a tax and keep it, or is it automatically confiscated, and I am fined, jailed, and banned from the country for life? I visit six months at a time, smoke a pipe, and the quality on offer anywhere in Thailand, import or not, does not measure up, not even close. Thanks.

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Some went down. I have absolutely no idea what happened. Camel, Winston made in the Philippines now Bt60.  Camel I think were Bt90/95. SMS etc went up. Something went on that we're not being told and I think this loss may just be on paper with the fat cats at TTM pocketing heaps. 

Just a thought.:stoner:

I've never seen Camel for sale in Thailand. Only taxfree.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

Can someone tell me: if I bring in more tobacco than allowed, and I declare it, do I pay a tax and keep it, or is it automatically confiscated, and I am fined, jailed, and banned from the country for life? I visit six months at a time, smoke a pipe, and the quality on offer anywhere in Thailand, import or not, does not measure up, not even close. Thanks.

You can declare it at the customs but nobody here can tell how much duty one has to pay there.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Think I'll light one up now. Camel blue. There's also camel yellow. 711, some ma and pa shops and some booze shops. 711's around my way only stock Camel yellow but they're a bit strong. Bt60.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thian said:

My ma & pa shop sell "Camel" for 60bht, but, on the pack it says made in Philippines, so l bought a pack and they are the same as all the rest, seems just using the name..

2 hours ago, Thian said:

You can declare it at the customs but nobody here can tell how much duty one has to pay there.

It's a variable tax, depends on many factors, how well off you look, nationality, does the officer himself smoke, does his wife or boss are they quality cigs or run of the mill stuff, you add more if you want. :smile:

11 hours ago, The manic said:

Glad I don't have to suffer you as aneighbour... or my kids... Smoking around children is a form of abuse.  Please smoke in your house with windows closed! 

Are you real?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, nausea said:

Are you real?

In many countries my view is the norm and the law.  Smoking near children is a form of abuse to their health.  It also normalizes this unhealthy habit as does taking any drugs in front of kids.  Smoke in the privacy of your own home by all means but do not impose the smell onto other people. Many hotels and housing units have no smoking policies including the right of neighbours to insist that tobacco addicts keep their windows closed  when smoking. Only a tiny minority of people smoke and the majority do not wish to passively inhale second hand smoke or smell it. And nobody wants their children to be introduced to cigarettes or tobacco smoke.  Yes I am for real. Are you? 

2 hours ago, transam said:

My ma & pa shop sell "Camel" for 60bht, but, on the pack it says made in Philippines, so l bought a pack and they are the same as all the rest, seems just using the name..

Are they still 60 baht? I thought they are all 99 baht these days, chimikap?

2 hours ago, transam said:

A friend told me that Camel were far cheaper, and so I tried them out.

As you say, they 'taste' the same as other brands - but (perhaps coincidentally), I developed a cough.

Back (sort of) on topic - I'm still wondering why Camel and Winston are so much cheaper than 'Thai' brands?

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

A friend told me that Camel were far cheaper, and so I tried them out.

As you say, they 'taste' the same as other brands - but (perhaps coincidentally), I developed a cough.

Back (sort of) on topic - I'm still wondering why Camel and Winston are so much cheaper than 'Thai' brands?

I have tried both, l reckon just a used name...

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

I guess you don't live in Thailand where the air is so filthy that ANY person smokes a few cigarettes a day....if you do happen to live here i suggest you go find a better place where the air is clean (hint, the Alps in Swiss or France).

I travel to many places. I try to avoid needless pollution. Smoking is antisocial act. Unlike cars or industry it performs no useful function. We don't need more pollution added to our personal space nor do we need to hear the coughs and wheezy splutters of smokers. We certainly do not want children to be given addiction training by public acts of smoking. I do not care what drugs people take but there is a time and place for them. Public spaces are not such places. The glass boxes for smokers in airports are a good idea. Crack houses, opium dens,  and perhaps baccy boxes where people can go to indulge privately with fellow enthusiasts. 

7 hours ago, Thian said:

Being allowed to keep it is what is important. I wonder if there is a limit, like up to 1 kilo or 12 tons? I exaggerate. But thanks for the help you provided.

2 hours ago, The manic said:

I travel to many places. I try to avoid needless pollution. Smoking is antisocial act. Unlike cars or industry it performs no useful function. We don't need more pollution added to our personal space nor do we need to hear the coughs and wheezy splutters of smokers. We certainly do not want children to be given addiction training by public acts of smoking. I do not care what drugs people take but there is a time and place for them. Public spaces are not such places. The glass boxes for smokers in airports are a good idea. Crack houses, opium dens,  and perhaps baccy boxes where people can go to indulge privately with fellow enthusiasts. 

It is not antisocial. Cigars and brandy have been enjoyed by men for generations. And check old Civil War pics. Or WWII bomber crews. Half the men had pipes. Since the war on tobacco the life expectancy of American males has declined. But not for pipe smokers. Stress kills. (They certainly aren't getting laid during this War on Men to ease that stress.) Cigarettes I have a tougher time defending, but early deaths certainly would help save Social Security. Health costs? It costs a lot more to nurse an old coot into his 90s than bury one at 65. Gonna have end-game costs either way.

A few years ago I switched from Marlboro to Camel. So I was very happily surprised to see Marlboro go up to 145 Baht a pack and Camel down to 60 Baht a pack.

The reason for the weird price changes is as follow; in the past excise tax and duties were calculated based on the import or manufacturing price. Foreign brands thus sold their Thai wholly owned subsidiary the ciggies very cheap to keep these taxes to a minimum. The excess corporate profit (on paper) generated locally in thailand was legally moved out of Thailand by paying large licensing fees to a parent company abroad. 

So in response to that the RD decided to now base the (slightly higher) excise tax and duties on the retail price and calculate backwards. That way they receive much more tax revenue, because importers can't use artificially low import prices. 

As a result locally made ciggies along with some foreign brands have gone up in price. Some foreign brands however saw the opportunity to gain a huge market share by lowering retail prices and thus also paying less taxes.