looking for a bank in bangkok to open account . They all refuse.

Just now, Crisu said:
3 minutes ago, Happy enough said:
go back through the thread

Did he report he succeed with account opening???

not sure he even went but i went into the branch on tuesday to ask them as pass it all the time and basically all you need is certified copy of passport from embassy although personally i would take rental agreement or house book too, they said just need to passport certified. see below

Get your passport certified at the embassy on wireless road (if british) and after take a cab or walk to Abdulrahim Place (if canadian it's in the same building as your embasyy) on Rama 4. Close by

As you walk in the front entrance you will see Bangkok Bank (behind the canadian embassy desk) Go in there and you will be greeted most likely by a big thai bloke and he'll sort your ticket for you. (Let's call him Somchai)

All you need is your passport and the certified copy from the embassy but it may be worth taking rental agreement also just in case. (although he did not say it was required, take it anyway or housebook depending on your circumstances) confirmed already- no work permit required

Go there then please report back and let us know how you got on.

Good luck

not sure he even went but i went into the branch on tuesday to ask them as pass it all the time and basically all you need is certified copy of passport from embassy although personally i would take rental agreement or house book too, they said just need to passport certified. see below

Get your passport certified at the embassy on wireless road (if british) and after take a cab or walk to Abdulrahim Place (if canadian it's in the same building as your embasyy) on Rama 4. Close by

As you walk in the front entrance you will see Bangkok Bank (behind the canadian embassy desk) Go in there and you will be greeted most likely by a big thai bloke and he'll sort your ticket for you. (Let's call him Somchai)

All you need is your passport and the certified copy from the embassy but it may be worth taking rental agreement also just in case. (although he did not say it was required, take it anyway or housebook depending on your circumstances) confirmed already- no work permit required

Good luck

Which brach, location?

I was at many bkk banks in dez 18 all refusef without work permit. I hold already an old account with bangkok bank in patong and they refused to open a fixed deposit without work permit

10 minutes ago, Crisu said:
15 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

Good luck

Which brach, location. I was at many bkk banks in dez 18 all refusef without work permit. I hold already an old account with bangkok bank in patong and they refused to open a fixed deposit without work permit

the branch is the one on the ground floor of abdulrahim place. it's an office block, they already confirmed can do on tuesday, i just asked them in branch. didn't open account as already have one and hardly ever use it as just use my kbank. incidentally, you''ll see from the thread that on my way there i also went in to ask at the kbank branch between saladaeng bts and the mrt and they said you have to have work permit or own a condo. i asked her when that rule came in and she said about 3 years ago which is complete rubbish. she was busy and i think just didn't know the rules too maybe. That branch of Bangkok bank said fine to do as long as have certified copy of passport, no WP required. that branch all speak english and are aware of the rules as it's in the same building as the canadian embassy so no doubt get a lot of people from there

**One more thing i don't understand is why people don't just call the branch before going to confirm what they will take??

Edited by Happy enough

the branch is the one on the ground floor of abdulrahim place. it's an office block, they already confirmed can do on tuesday, i just asked them in branch. didn't open account as already have one and hardly ever use it as just use my kbank. incidentally, you''ll see from the thread that on my way there i also went in to ask at the kbank branch between saladaeng bts and the mrt and they said you have to have work permit or own a condo. i asked her when that rule came in and she said about 3 years ago which is complete rubbish. she was busy and i think just didn't know the rules too maybe. That branch of Bangkok bank said fine to do as long as have certified copy of passport, no WP required. that branch all speak english and are aware of the rules as it's in the same building as the canadian embassy so no doubt get a lot of people from there

**One more thing i don't understand is why people don't just call the branch before going to confirm what they will take??
I stay close at mrt lumphini so the canadian embassy is not far from here.
Will give it a try.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crisu said:

I stay close at mrt lumphini so the canadian embassy is not far from here.
Will give it a try.

when you are there just double check with him that it's only the passport that needs certifying as he told me and not residence needs certifying from the embassy. i am heading back down south so won't pass that branch for a while but it might be useful for any one that is struggling to get accounts elsewhere in BKK. he told me just passport but just make sure when you go to do it so others know exactly what is required

Edited by Happy enough

when you are there just double check with him that it's only the passport that needs certifying as he told me and not residence needs certifying from the embassy. i am heading back down south so won't pass that branch for a while but it might be useful for any one that is struggling to get accounts elsewhere in BKK. he told me just passport but just make sure when you go to do it so others know exactly what is required

Dont worry i will do it. But i have not really big hope. I followed in an other thread the advice from another guy with kringsri bank to go tob central rama 9 some days ago.
I posted my experience here too.

I have also a lady stuff friend in bangkok bank in esplanade. She is team manager there and even she told me they can not open account without work permit.

If your branch in silom can it would really be also a big surprise to me.

1 minute ago, Crisu said:

Dont worry i will do it. But i have not really big hope. I followed in an other thread the advice from another guy with kringsri bank to go tob central rama 9 some days ago.
I posted my experience here too.

I have also a lady stuff friend in bangkok bank in esplanade. She is team manager there and even she told me they can not open account without work permit.

If your branch in silom can it would really be also a big surprise to me.

it what he said mate and this was only on tuesday. need certified copy of passport otherwise they won't do it. but definately he said no work permit needed

1 hour ago, Crisu said:

Which brach, location?

I was at many bkk banks in dez 18 all refusef without work permit.

in this thread i included links to two different threads where people successfully opened accounts at bangkok bank in the last three months w/o a work permit.  one was the emporium branch and the other was siam paragon.  i personally opened one at the silom branch in feb 2016 but i realize most people believe that is too long ago to be of any value.  try one of those three branches and let us know how it goes.

fyi to open at silom branch i needed the embassy letter saying my passport was real and i needed a copy of my rental agreement (apartment) plus a cover letter from my landlord explaining the rental agreement was real.  i was on a tourist visa.  you can check their website and they still have info there stating you can open an account with a tourist visa as long as you also have the two items i mentioned above.

I was i silom complex checked all banks there in dez 17. and i terminal 21 area

The only one that was able to open the account without work permit or condo was

UOB bank.

Thats why i repeat it all the time everywhere here on TV:

Avoid the hassle and loosing time to check thai banks, go to foreign banks in TH.

thanks for the info.  i'll add UOB as an option for those looking to open accounts in bangkok.  i've seen people post about UOB, i think it was on the list of the guy that ended up at bangkok bank siam paragon branch. 

edit: i checked the link i posted earlier in this thread he had visited UOB and they indicated he could open an account w/o work permit. 

Edited by buick

1 hour ago, Crisu said:

Can yu give me any stuff name? If i walk just inside and get the wrong 'lazy' stuff.....

You are actually asking for the name of a contact person?

WOW, what a concept........

good luck getting that here.

Biggest problem is with US Citizens.  The US requires all banks to do serious reporting to them on each US citizen customer and the penalties are huge. Most have just taken the easy way out and refuse to open for US citizens and not just in thailand.

https://www.goldinglawyers.com/banks-are-freezing-u-s-citizen-bank-accounts-overseas-international-tax-attorney/

This is a bit old but gives most of the reasons.

Edited by harrry

Who should i then contact at the branch at silom bangkon bank branch. The first lady stuff who give me the answer 'no work permit, can not mister' ???

1 minute ago, Crisu said:
10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Who should i then contact at the branch at silom bangkon bank branch. The first lady stuff who give me the answer 'no work permit, can not mister' ???

I have no idea.  I do not claim to have been there.  Ask all the experts on this thread....

Edited by bkk6060

thanks for the info.  i'll add UOB as an option for those looking to open accounts in bangkok.  i've seen people post about UOB, i think it was on the list of the guy that ended up at bangkok bank siam paragon branch. 

edit: i checked the link i posted earlier in this thread he had visited UOB and they indicated he could open an account w/o work permit. 

I did it with UOB in patong without work permit in jan. 18 but asked in bkk silom complex uob branch and they told the same:

No work permit
No own condo

28 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have no idea.  I do not claim to have been there.  Ask all the experts on this thread....

stop being so pedantic. i went in branch to ask on  behalf of someone else. i am certainly not asking staff members their names. your obsession with names truly is astounding. i have told told the OP what he needs to do so what have you done apart from criticize everyones elses advice. pray tell

**that's right, nothing. just your little name obsession without contributing anything. 

Edited by Happy enough

20 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

stop being so pedantic. i went in branch to ask on  behalf of someone else. i am certainly not asking staff members their names. your obsession with names truly is astounding. i have told told the OP what he needs to do so what have you done apart from criticize everyones elses advice. pray tell

**that's right, nothing. just your little name obsession without contributing anything. 

You seem emotional.. Can you read??.

He asked for a contact person, not me. Because he has common sense.

Yes, when I am conducting business, I get a name or business card of the person.  It is common sense in most of the world.

You seem very confused.  Go to this place, that , I am doing this for a friend, maybe, I am not sure, blah blah.  They said this or that..  Has anyone obtained an account based upon your referrals?

With no one or reference of a human being to speak with. Oh, I forgot, "go talk to the tall Thai bloke" . Gee thanks.

It is not that difficult to ask for a name for contact.  Maybe for some.

Edited by bkk6060

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, when I am conducting business, I get a name or business card of the person.  It is common sense in most of the world.

You seem very confused.  Go to this place, that , I am doing this for a friend, maybe, I am not sure, blah blah.  They said this or that..  Has anyone obtained an account based upon your referrals?

With no one or reference of a human being to speak with.

i'm not emotional mate and you have been through the thread obsessively asking for a contact name from everyone. personally i don't feel comfortable asking staff members their names unless it is to do with my own personal business. on tuesday i went in to ask the same guy who is always there on behalf of the OP. at the end of the day the OP has to take some responsibility himself. told him the branch and what he needs to do, that's all i am willing to give. not confused and i am not an agent so think i did enough. bangkok bank, ground floor of abdulrahim with a certified copy of passport. how is that confusing.

**and i said that they should call any branch they plan to go to ask what they need before going there. it really isn't difficult

anyway. i have given decent advice and the branch to go to. now i really don't care. Up to people to use their own initiative

Edited by Happy enough
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i'm not emotional mate and you have been through the thread obsessively asking for a contact name from everyone. personally i don't feel comfortable asking staff members their names unless it is to do with my own personal business. on tuesday i went in to ask the same guy who is always there on behalf of the OP. at the end of the day the OP has to take some responsibility himself. told him the branch and what he needs to do, that's all i am willing to give. not confused and i am not an agent so think i did enough. bangkok bank, ground floor of abdulrahim with a certified copy of passport. how is that confusing.

Peace brother I don't want to fight on this.

Give what ever info you want.

• Haha 1

today i went to immigration bangkok chaengwattana to do some paperwork. I went down to the basement and walked into Krungsri Bank first.

I asked them what documents they want to open a saving account. First question was what visa i have, i said Tourist Visa, they refused, and told me i can only open account with work permit. Went out and walk to bangkok bank next door, same question, but differnt answer. Tourist Visa, no problem, but need certificate of residency from my embassy then i can open bank account. ......

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, hadock said:

today i went to immigration bangkok chaengwattana to do some paperwork. I went down to the basement and walked into Krungsri Bank first.

I asked them what documents they want to open a saving account. First question was what visa i have, i said Tourist Visa, they refused, and told me i can only open account with work permit. Went out and walk to bangkok bank next door, same question, but differnt answer. Tourist Visa, no problem, but need certificate of residency from my embassy then i can open bank account. ......

That's perfect example of what I been putting across, bit of persistence and gumption and you will get your account.

People here seem be making their own restrictions/problems on this work permit issue, it not a hard written rule and this thailand so even if it was you could still bypass it if persistent enough and approach the banking request in a constructive manner .

If the people wanting the account put same time and effort in at branches as put into posts on here they would have an account already .

One of two banks I had  successful results with was in fortunetown ground floor,, really nice young man, perfect english and even chatted about football but that half the battle they got like you and have no communication hassle, siam commercial on 1st floor was a no go, and pretty much kicked out the door by the aggressive ladies tone on work permit only . You could go siam and have best experience ever though, that the beauty or annoyance of thailand, poor training, individual branch rules based on staff ability and racism plus general peoples mood and personality (including yours) makes all the difference. Make best effort you can and keep trying .

Edited by BuckBee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

With no one or reference of a human being to speak with. Oh, I forgot, "go talk to the tall Thai bloke" . Gee thanks.

Like what you said, when you are conducting business you get the business card of the person.

This is regarding about opening a bank account, so why would he get a business card from the banker. Its just a 1 time thing, so its common sense that he didnt get the name of the person who opened the account for him. 

Do you purchase your groceries and ask the cashier girls name or a name card? 

Edited by justapasserby
  • Like 1