Thaivisa exclusive: Farang firefighter is Australian - and he's out battling another huge blaze!

webfact

This Man is out helping fight a fire and yet still room to make comments 

How about well done mate we appriciate your help 

Australian Fire Fighter is all you need to say 

No Farang Fire Fighter he is a volunteer Fire Fighter 

Frang is disrespectful to people 

• Like 1

Wee song we have in Scotland.

My brother Bill wiz a fireman bold

He poot oot fires

He wiz only twinty one years old

He poot oot fires

He went tae a fire wan nite

Somebody shouted DYNAMITE

Where he is noo he'll be awright

Coz, he poots oot fires.

Sorry ?????

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

But. under archaic Thai labor laws, it is still a work permit violation, because he is only authorized to work in her jam factory, not at other locations.  Thai labor law was never brought current to include workers who are assigned to field work or digital nomads who can work from any location with an internet connection, including working from home.  A great guy, trying to help his adopted home, and still the Thais don't understand how their legal system and government screw the farang at every opportunity.

You are absolutely correct !  Peter needs to be prosecuted for violating immigration laws, unless he can produce a work permit for firefighters.

Peter is taking away a job that is reserved exclusively for Thais.  Alternatively, Peter can register a firefighting company giving his majority share of the company to some unknown Thais.  He must employ 3 or 4 more Thais too.

19 hours ago, HooHaa said:

and so thaivisa gets hung up on the work permit issue again.

It's hard work bashing out all those comments and criticisms from the comfort of an armchair- maybe it should become another 'reserved' occupation! :partytime2:

2 hours ago, Zack61 said:

Does this make him the best Australian in Thailand?  We have a best German and now possibly the best Australian. 

Come on the rest of us let’s be the best other nationalities and fight it out in the finals for the best farang title. A Best of the best finale. 

There was a Best Nigerian but turned out he was just a normal guy running a scam ( allegedly ) ?

• Haha 1

Picking up trash on the beach or highway, fighting fires, volunteer teaching in you village schools.....  You sort of wonder where Thai immigration and the MoL get the nickers in a such a twist and start beating the WP drums when farangs simply volunteer to help in the betterment of Thailand and Thai society.

"We live here.  We want to help.  We'd like to contribute to bettering Thailand."

How can they be in there right minds and sanction that? 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, HooHaa said:

and so thaivisa gets hung up on the work permit issue again.

Not really.  It's Thai Immigration and the Thai Ministry of Labor who get hung up on the work permit issue.
Thai Visa member just point out the obvious, mostly out of frustration.  Many good farangs would like to contribute to the communities in which they live.  That's part of farang culture.  That's who we are.  Then we run into the brick wall of, what you call, work permit issues.  It's not us; it's them.  And it's a pain in the derriere when you're really trying to be of service to your community.  Doing volunteer work out of a sense of compassion.
I mean, I get it.  Thais are so focused on money, and corrutption is so endemic that most Thais will naturally assume that if you're providing the community with you time and effort, then surly someone is paying you off under the table.  Thai culture, from what I've encountered, doesn't grasp the concept of volunteering for free out of a sense of compassion, empathy, and simply wanting to freely help others. 
For Thais, everything is reciprocal: I do something for you; you do something for me.  Thais look like they freely give to their Buddhist temples, but nothing could be further from reality - they have an expectation that by giving they will supernaturally receive something in return: a better life now, a good rebirth, money, money, money. 
So with that culturally ingrained attitude, it's not difficult to see why Thai Immigration and the MoL are leery of any farang performing 'free' voluteer work. In their minds, the farang volunteer must be receiving compensation from somewhere. So!  "Farang, you need work permit!!!" I don't expect that to change, not in my life-time.

Edited by connda

24 minutes ago, connda said:

Picking up trash on the beach or highway, fighting fires, volunteer teaching in you village schools.....  You sort of wonder where Thai immigration and the MoL get the nickers in a such a twist and start beating the WP drums when farangs simply volunteer to help in the betterment of Thailand and Thai society.

"We live here.  We want to help.  We'd like to contribute to bettering Thailand."

How can they be in there right minds and sanction that? 

You would then get many felangs "volunteering" to work and then getting paid cash

Well best Farang Germans 1 Australians 1 

dont forget the Thai taxi drivers want to be included they are streets ahead 

they will have reserves waiting must be one due soon 

As  said in a earlier post come on the rest of you 

Brits Chinese don't be modest 

May the best man / woman win 

1 hour ago, Farangdanny said:

I don't know why some of you gripers don't go back where you came from. Maybe the 'up to date' laws there would suit you better, or do you just enjoy moaning.

Hmmmm.  A member of the "Go Back Home" club griping about the folks in the "Work Permits for Volunteering?" club venting their frustration at archaic and rather silly laws.  That's has an odd sort of irony to it.  :wink:  Lol. 

Have to agree with some on this story

Happened about 3 years ago could not have been that bad  if he walked out of the Thai hospital then the hospital in the UK gets involved later nothing found

Now the Daily Mail gets involved and we know what a good newspaper they are 

Pay for anything involved with Sex Drugs Scams  ect  especially if Thailand is involved

Looks like a Money grab to me 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

That's nice, but your lay understanding of Thai labor law is completely misguided.  I have been a labor attorney in Thailand for over 10 years, representing companies both locally and globally in labor negotiations including appearing in hearings at the Ministry of Labor.

Reading a statutory text that says: ' "Work" means engaging in work...' and therefore concluding that man who pours water over fire is in violation of employment legislation, shows quite a disregard for practising law in this county. Good luck to you!

Thanks Weegee.  Cold drinks are always appreciated.  The RFD and Parks guys are always happy when we rock up with an esky full of "Sponsor" drinks for them.  

They are not as happy when we tell them about the next fire that we have spotted down the road, but they always work hard to put these fires down.  

Just today we were out at another nasty fire outside a RTA base and we were there helping the soldiers fight the fire.  These kids are young, fit and strong, but not trained to deal with these sorts of fires, so the crazy farang is the one who jumps through the flames and runs through the hot zone to assess the situation.  Sure enough, we were able to get the fire under control in the next hour.  

There have been some negative comments about the Thais and how they won't do anything for free.  What <deleted>.  I am just one member of a group of over 100 volunteers and none of them ask for anything in return.  Some of our members are farmers from the lower end of the economic spectrum and they help because they want to and because they see how much damage the fires cause to everyone's health.

So if any of you have the courage to help your adopted country, why don't you do something.  It can be as simple as inviting some locals to your house and talking with them in English.  How can you be deported for having conversations?   They really appreciate simple things like this.

• Like 2

In Chantiburi I saw an American gentlemen cooking meat at a Thai market. I asked my thai GF if that kind of work needed a work permit or was allowed.   She said  his wife owned the stall and he was just helping her. Saw several men in uniform buy cooked meat from him.  Sometimes I think people on TV worry too much. 

On 3/6/2018 at 4:07 PM, zaphod reborn said:

But. under archaic Thai labor laws, it is still a work permit violation, because he is only authorized to work in her jam factory, not at other locations.  Thai labor law was never brought current to include workers who are assigned to field work or digital nomads who can work from any location with an internet connection, including working from home.  A great guy, trying to help his adopted home, and still the Thais don't understand how their legal system and government screw the farang at every opportunity.

I guess Peter can have his Cake and Jam and eat it :  :shock1:

53 minutes ago, weegee said:

For goodness sake....THANK YOU PETER, thats the spirit mate.....

Wish I was close enough to buy you a coldie.

I heard a rumour that hes also Teaching Kylie Minogue how to sing.   :cheesy:

Edited by Acemaker
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Wee song we have in Scotland.

My brother Bill wiz a fireman bold

He poot oot fires

He wiz only twinty one years old

He poot oot fires

He went tae a fire wan nite

Somebody shouted DYNAMITE

Where he is noo he'll be awright

Coz, he poots oot fires.

Sorry ?????

To acemaker.

It's a freekin joke, a laugh. Lighten up for gods sake.

6 hours ago, Psimbo said:

It's hard work bashing out all those comments and criticisms from the comfort of an armchair- maybe it should become another 'reserved' occupation! :partytime2:

As long as you have a work permit to do that it should be ok..

?????

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, pferdy62 said:

Thanks Weegee.  Cold drinks are always appreciated.  The RFD and Parks guys are always happy when we rock up with an esky full of "Sponsor" drinks for them.  

They are not as happy when we tell them about the next fire that we have spotted down the road, but they always work hard to put these fires down.  

Just today we were out at another nasty fire outside a RTA base and we were there helping the soldiers fight the fire.  These kids are young, fit and strong, but not trained to deal with these sorts of fires, so the crazy farang is the one who jumps through the flames and runs through the hot zone to assess the situation.  Sure enough, we were able to get the fire under control in the next hour.  

There have been some negative comments about the Thais and how they won't do anything for free.  What <deleted>.  I am just one member of a group of over 100 volunteers and none of them ask for anything in return.  Some of our members are farmers from the lower end of the economic spectrum and they help because they want to and because they see how much damage the fires cause to everyone's health.

So if any of you have the courage to help your adopted country, why don't you do something.  It can be as simple as inviting some locals to your house and talking with them in English.  How can you be deported for having conversations?   They really appreciate simple things like this.

You just keep up the good work and remain on the helping hand bit.....Thailand would never make trouble for you in a situation like this....

9 hours ago, lvr181 said:

In 2004 just after the time the tsunami hit Thailand, I believe some rescue/aid workers were sent packing because they did not have the 'required' work permits? True or false?

It was true but had all to do with FACE. The thai wanted to show the world they could handle it by themselves (NOT) and didn't need any help (being much more advanced than those 3rd world countries from Europe).
This aside, if my neighbour's house is on fire I will do anything to help and evacuate people. I'm 100% sure i will be considered HERO and not an illegal worker.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 11:07 AM, zaphod reborn said:

Probably, an arsonist trying to keep people in work ..........:stoner: