Reversing into Parking Spaces

Oxx

On 3/6/2018 at 3:08 PM, metisdead said:

I think it is safer, that way when it is time to leave, the first motion is forward and the driver has a clear view, can see if another car is coming or exiting from another parking space. Reduces accidents caused by reverse exiting and the driver reversing may miss somebody in the blind spot. 

Another reason for reverse parking, what if your car develops a dead battery or other mechanical problems? With reverse parking the engine compartment is easier to get into rather than if the driver parked in a forward position. 

Reverse parking is promoted in other countries:  http://safestart.com/news/4-reasons-backing-parking-spaces-safer

Much tougher to load all your grocery bags or shopping booty into the trunk if backed up to a wall or another vehicle. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac98 said:

Much tougher to load all your grocery bags or shopping booty into the trunk if backed up to a wall or another vehicle. 

Yea I know, sure makes life tough having to grab the bags from the shopping cart and shuffle between vehicles to the back to get them in the boot or the back seat.  

On 3/7/2018 at 7:55 AM, macahoom said:

I’m British and I’ve always wondered why 99% of drivers in America park nose first.

In fact, I’ve seen signs in car parks in the U.S. which say No Reverse Parking.

Strange!

if the exhaust is under a window, or drawing a black blot on a while wall, that is understandable. 
otherwise, I agree with first two posts, better to reverse in and see where you are going driving out.

4 hours ago, metisdead said:

Yea I know, sure makes life tough having to grab the bags from the shopping cart and shuffle between vehicles to the back to get them in the boot or the back seat.  

Makro, where I live in Thailand, has made reversed parking a benefit, as between two rows of cars is a covered area, where you can drive the shopping carts and trolleys in, and load your car, which of course has to be reversed parked if not an old-fashioned "beagle" – especially when raining it's nice to be in a dry area – most Makro-shoppers here use reversed parking...:wink:

• Thanks 1

It's mostly a matter of your own preferences. My brother and i learned driving from the same driving instructor, so the way how it's taught can not be a difference in our case.

I prefer to park nose first, he prefers reverse parking. I've seen "no reverse parking" signs in Germany as well, but they are uncommon. I would only park reversed if it's dangerous to drive out of the parking space, as somebody on the first page mentioned, for example when you have to drive from the parking space directly on a big road.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2018 at 11:00 AM, gintis0604 said:

You can't be a driver, if you don't know it's more easy to reverse in and go stright out. 

If you know how to use your morrows u can park perfect that way. 

Yup I quickly learnt that driving for Sainsbury's, much easier to unload the truck too. 55.

Truck drivers tip, if in doubt--"goal", get out and look. Mind you cameras were being fitted when I left.

You got your answer here. More than that, it seems to me that it is an exaggeration to say Thai drivers are all bad at reverse parking ... as everywhere, some are, most don't seem to be.

In the UK it is illegal to reverse onto a carriageway. Not only that, it clearly is dangerous. Of course, many drivers here do it and they are the ones causing problems rather than the ones in the car parks.

Incidentally, I have had my car crunched twice in supermarket car parks and both times it was in the UK as some crap driver who probably thinks he's super cool, actually had no parking skills at all. Of course, both times they did it while I was not with my car and both times they did the damage and drove off. One of them cost me the equivalent of about 12,000 Baht in repairs.

Edited by todlad
Fat finger error!