Reversing into Parking Spaces

Oxx

On 3/7/2018 at 5:08 AM, metisdead said:

I think it is safer, that way when it is time to leave, the first motion is forward and the driver has a clear view, can see if another car is coming or exiting from another parking space. Reduces accidents caused by reverse exiting and the driver reversing may miss somebody in the blind spot. 

Another reason for reverse parking, what if your car develops a dead battery or other mechanical problems? With reverse parking the engine compartment is easier to get into rather than if the driver parked in a forward position. 

Reverse parking is promoted in other countries:  http://safestart.com/news/4-reasons-backing-parking-spaces-safer

The Mind Boggles! Sheesh what a Snore this whole subject is.

• Like 1

Strange question. If it presents the best way to depart, I'll always reverse in. If you have to reverse out, it's likely to cause a hold up, anyway, and you need to watch what's coming.

And when carrying out a manoeuvre in the road - whether a logical one, or not - Thais will most often reverse out onto the main road, as opposed to into the side one. 

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2008 at 8:56 PM, VOICEOVER said:

Many thanks to Nignoy and everyone for their info. Much appreciated and I'll attempt to phone Centrelink in Australia on Monday. Fully expect to be "put on hold" and/or have to select from a dozen "options" while trying to get a Real Live Public Servant to talk with.

Will let you know the results as it looks as though there are many other Aussie Expats in a similar situation. My first posting on Thaivisa.com and I'm overwhelmed at the response.

heers,

Voiceover.

On 3/7/2018 at 7:55 AM, macahoom said:

I’m British and I’ve always wondered why 99% of drivers in America park nose first.

In fact, I’ve seen signs in car parks in the U.S. which say No Reverse Parking.

Strange!

Not strange, in America you are creating a hazard and delaying others. American car spaces are designed for nose parking, in Thailand the tire blocks are designed for rear parking. Reversing in America means you could strike a car before the tires hit the blocks and risking a citation.  Also, in America, pedestrians have the right of way even walking in a parking lot (unlike Thailand). Parking spaces are often angled requiring front first parking.  Cars in America have loud audible alarms and backup lights, and you are bypassing those safety systems when parking rear first. I adopt a Thai driving philosophy and often park rear first. 

Another scenario is Thai driver's parking in the right of way rather than use the supplied parking area, just so they can avoid reversing either way. I think it is an area given even less cover in the Thai driving schools than other subjects..

My rear wheel drive Avanza has such a good turning circle I can easily drive in and reverse out of any space. Seems pickups and front wheel drive cars have poor steering lock, so need the rear wheel steering described above. Car park design and management poor here to make it difficult. No car parks have any safe paths marked out for you to get to/from the shops safely, especially with a trolley/pushchair/wheelchair. Fifty years behind the real world.

4 minutes ago, Puritan said:

With all due respect, I don't know which car parks you are talking about but I rarely see a Thai reverse into a parking space although |i do it regularly myself.

Go to Makro on Sukhumvit, nearly all back in, same at Big C Extra.

I think this whole reversing parking is counter intuitive. Always drive in nose first and if it's a double spot with another in front of me and it's empty I drive into that. Backing in is much trickier than backing out, just watch Thais trying to do it. And if you have a rear camera easy to back out, but I think it's easy anyway. But for the anal folks out there knock yourself out. 555

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiBob said:

Not strange, in America you are creating a hazard and delaying others. American car spaces are designed for nose parking, in Thailand the tire blocks are designed for rear parking. Reversing in America means you could strike a car before the tires hit the blocks and risking a citation.

So, in the US you drive in nose first to park?

How do you get out of the space then and when you are getting out, why is it no longer a hazard or delaying others?

As I said in a previous post, it makes zero to nil difference, drive in reverse out, reverse in drive out.

Edited by Mattd

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:55 AM, macahoom said:

I’m British and I’ve always wondered why 99% of drivers in America park nose first.

In fact, I’ve seen signs in car parks in the U.S. which say No Reverse Parking.

Strange!

The only place I have seen the "no reverse parking" was a hotel, where they wanted to avoid exhaust marks on the hotel wall.

When I was taking driving lessons in Australia, I was taught to back into a space between two cars in a street.  Here in France, I see people doing the same thing.  It depends on what sort of parking it is.  Supermarket parking is different.  You can drive straight in, but it is easier to get out later if you have backed in first.  That's my opinion and I can't understand the fuss about it all.  Six pages already!!!

2 hours ago, GTgrizzly said:

you will be waiting a while on the phone mate

I live 15 Klms from my Centrelink and find it quicker to jump in the car and drive there

Not if you call their international service, based in Tasmania I think. Not sure how this subject ended up in a post about reverse parking though.

Edited by giddyup

21 minutes ago, bontang said:

In the Intrest of Safety Reversing into Parking Lots is a Must, All of our Exploration Oil & Gas parking areas have a sign 

Reverse Parking only,

As is proper. And more Safe. Never worked for anyone more anal about safety than the Patch.

53 minutes ago, Mattd said:

So, in the US you drive in nose first to park?

How do you get out of the space then and when you are getting out, why is it no longer a hazard or delaying others?

As I said in a previous post, it makes zero to nil difference, drive in reverse out, reverse in drive out.

Yes, put the car in reverse, backup lights go on and it makes a loud beeping noise. Everyone knows your intentions, pedestrians and other cars. Often there are other cars waiting for your parking place. If America adopted Thai parking habits, the yellow flashers would go on and there would others car directly behind blocking a reverse path with perhaps nasty confrontations ensuing.  Also, in America many parking lots have their spaces marked at angles so entering and reversing is simplified. Additionally, loading groceries or objects in the trunk (boot) is easier. Example is Foodland parking lot in Pattaya, all parking spaces are at angles so reversing into a parking space is near impossible. Having parking spaces at angles is more efficient as it  permits more parking spaces for cars. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

As is proper. And more Safe. Never worked for anyone more anal about safety than the Patch.

Heck... they even tell you how to go downstairs !!!..  all understandable when with the costs involved medivacing some muppet off an installation because he couldn't descend a flight of stairs safely!

Back on Topic: For all those who say they reverse into their Supermarket parking bay... how do you get a full trolley of grocery shopping into the boot (trunk) ??...

...isn't it easier to drive in forwards to allow access to the boot when loading your car?

The safety thing regarding parking reverse vs forwards is really over thinking it though... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Backing into a narrow parking space seems harder than backing out into the wide road. Also, for shopping, having the vehicle storage facing the outside seems easier than squeezing a trolley between two adjacent cars to put the shopping away.

However, in theory, it might be that Thais learned driving in the army and later from former military driving instructors. In this case, backing a tank or large truck into a parking space made sense as they have to be prepared to leave quickly.

There are so many accidents when people back out of A parking space.No matter where i’m at.Any country I always back it.That way when I pull out I can see other vehicles.When A person pulls into A parking space they can’t see if another vehicle is coming or not.

if I could I would make it A law.Everyone has to back in to A parking space.

On 3/6/2018 at 10:29 PM, Oxx said:

Is there any other country in the world that has the same penchant?

It's the saying that you reduce the risk of damage and accidents, if you reverse into a parking space.

In Denmark it's not only recommended, but in certain private parking areas "law", for example Siemen's employees shall from February this year reverse into the the company's parking slots, and both Vesta's (windmill manufacturer) staff and guests shall at the main office since July 2015 reverse into a parking space...:wink:

with the perchant in thailand especially in malls to to have cars lined up parallel  in the entry lanes with handbrake off thus narrowing the lanes it is easier to drive out of the car space than reverse.

Pluses and minuses for reversing ino a parking spot.

Plus for leaving the parking because visibility of other traffic is improved.

Negative blows exhaust fumes over pedestrians on walkways.

Nothing one way is perfect.

13 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

as to backing in, explain Again, why is it safer to back in between 2 vehicles or a pillar and a car vs backing out into an open space whether or not a car is passing...either way one will break and wait for the car to pass...

Because you, the driver,  are always closest to moving traffic, pedestrians and anything else you might hit moving in the road.

Reversing out there is no way you can see if anything is coming.

• Like 1

It is the safest way to park, being you can drive straight out, and you can see more when driving.

If you drive straight in, you have to back out anyway.

Whenever I can I drive through 1 spot to the one in front of it for my nose to be out farther so I can see better.

Many unnecessary accidents are caused from backing out of parking spots.

What is your illogical thoughtless complaint about ?

People are being smarter and safer and you are complaining.