Buriram: So unnecessary as Year 10 student dies on his way to school

webfact

Just now, Jip99 said:

Oh, I think debating fault is a waste of time as it is rather like Murder on the Orient Express.....

They ALL did it.

(I hope that wasn't a spoiler if you haven't yet seen the film.....)

Or maybe Cluedo?

The salesman did it with a Scoopy on the hard shoulder.

Just now, oldlakey said:

Trying harder wont help as I am well aware what to expect

I do like to help the thread along now and again though

Its always more interesting when an ex- pat is involved as regards the money side and how long they will spend in the Bangkok Hilton

Well over 200 posts so far so not to be sniffed it

Then there are those 'expat involved' ones, usually involving a flash, imported motor around Hua Hin, Chiang Mai or Phuket, speed, darkness and a whiff of alcohol where the usual suspects here rejoice, "Oh, he is going DOWN for this!"

Only for the thread to fizzle out, no names, no pack drill and the causal suggestion that 'business as usual' prevailed (again). Then the other usual suspects get their panties in a bunch with their wiki-based knowledge of Buddhism, lack of spatial (not spacial) awareness, genetic insufficiencies and cultural indifference (again).

The only advice I can offer to the usual suspects is stay safe out there.

Oh yes, and don't gloat too much.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Or maybe Cluedo?

The salesman did it with a Scoopy on the hard shoulder.

Then there are those 'expat involved' ones, usually involving a flash, imported motor around Hua Hin, Chiang Mai or Phuket, speed, darkness and a whiff of alcohol where the usual suspects here rejoice, "Oh, he is going DOWN for this!"

Only for the thread to fizzle out, no names, no pack drill and the causal suggestion that 'business as usual' prevailed (again). Then the other usual suspects get their panties in a bunch with their wiki-based knowledge of Buddhism, lack of spatial (not spacial) awareness, genetic insufficiencies and cultural indifference (again).

The only advice I can offer to the usual suspects is stay safe out there.

Oh yes, and don't gloat too much.

Good innit

19 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I got it ages ago...

I sometimes wish I had your superior attitude to driving, because I still need to take notice of signs to help my driving.

IMO, Driving or riding requires about 80% common sense, and most Thais do not have that, and not only on the roads. I am not particularly a Thai basher, I am just saying things as I see it.

23 minutes ago, Get Real said:

As you clearly can see, social media like facebook, twitter, instagram and other different medias are today the combined tools for making a change or a differens in many cases.

Notice that you carefully--and most understandably--didn't include TVF in that list. :biggrin: So you're also boring yourself on those social media that you think are being so effective in stopping the Thai driving habits and reforming the brainless morons? Evidence?

Actually if Thais did reform and started driving safely as they all do in the UK, that would be kinda bad news here on the forum, wouldn't it?:wink:

What do you think happens to differens and possible changes if people just stop viocing thier opinion, just because it´s boring and people like you just want to see everything that you can call enjoyment?

Bashing in the name of "reform" is one of those laughable justifications we hear on TVF from time to time.

Next time you can actually sit down and think before you let your fingers fly over the keybord in a way that puts you in a position you didn´t mean from start.

So it seems that schoolmarming posters, also brainless (don't think before), is similarly boring but a "necessary evil." :smile:  Tough work but somebody's gotta do it. Sigh! We can only appreciate such sacrifice. Good thing everybody's not too brainless to make effective use of their "keybords." I take it we can look forward to your boring yourself much more in the future.

Edited by JSixpack

Just now, kiwikeith said:

No excuse for the person who pulled out and the guy who did not stop, but this would not happen to a ten yr old if they were not allowed to ride bikes by their parents , and the police tighten up on this and bring in some school busses.

No excuse for repeatedly claiming the victim was 10 years old either.

So you speed-read and jump into threads? No biggie.

• Like 1

No doubt the Road Safety Management Department (if there is such a thing !!) will be using this video to point out the examples of bad driving.. Not just the motorcyclists involved.

Cars overtaking  on the yellow cross hatching , cars overtaking against the flow of traffic on the other carriageway (other side of the yellow markings).  Drivers seeing a hold up of sorts then seeing  fit to pull out and rush off to work or wherever.

Did the m/c riders have licences and insurance ? So many Q's and so sad for the student. My thoughts go to his  family and friends. RIP poor lad.

Time for Police Chiefs to start briefing their Officers to enforce the laws.

No helmet, impound the bike.

When police officers wear their uniform cap while riding their motorcycles it's hardly a good example to set.

Time to get rid of tinted windows which serve only to hide the fact that the driver is using his phone or not wearing his seat belt. Perhaps the PM should set an example and arrive at the TV studios, for his weekly address, on a motorcycle and wearing a helmet, strap done up of course ....... just a thought !

I CONDEMN the parents of the 10 year old boy who was driving on a motorbike without helmet.
He should never be allowed to drive such lethal weapon.
The guy that cause the accident is an absolute dirtbag to not even pay 1 second attention to the kid he just murdered.
Clearly shows that life means NOTHING in Thailand.
Lorry driver should be tested for drugs/alcohol and locked up for speeding away.

14 hours ago, rickb said:

Most civilized countries have stop signs where minor roads intersect with major roads forcing the drivers to stop and look before proceeding.  I can't think of many places where I did see a stop sign at such intersections here in Thailand.  And when there was a stop sign, I don't recall seeing anybody actually stop.  Once again, nobody wants to obey sensible driving rules here in Thailand and the deaths associated with poor driving attests to that.

Civilized? Does that not translate into law and order, and the efficient implementation of that law and order? Thailand has decades to go, before it can truly be considered civilized in that regard, and before it can take itself seriously, in regard to public and traffic safety. As of now, they remain number one. In traffic fatalities. Takes alot of talent to gain that number one spot. And alot of incompetency, indifference, and utter disregard for the common man.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

I CONDEMN the parents of the 10 year old boy who was driving on a motorbike without helmet.
He should never be allowed to drive such lethal weapon.
The guy that cause the accident is an absolute dirtbag to not even pay 1 second attention to the kid he just murdered.
Clearly shows that life means NOTHING in Thailand.
Lorry driver should be tested for drugs/alcohol and locked up for speeding away.

Ok. It has been said many times before buy I will say it again. The boy was not 10 years old. He was a Year 10 student.

19 hours ago, phetpeter said:

If 16 he can get a restricted licence to ride 110cc to travel to school. But many things wrong in the video. He was driving without crash helmet, driving on the hard shoulder, driving fast, And too close to other vehicles, Me I would have pull back and allow the mass of vehicles to move along, and give myself space. But in Thailand its go or stop. nothing in between. The biker coming out did so with due care, another Thai situation as they seem to only be able to do one thing at a time when riding,  Turn but cannot brake. How many times have you had a biker pull out when stopping would be better! They would rather keep going even if it meant travel on the dirt? So sad RIP

What is wrong with a motorbike traveling on the hard shoulder? I ride a 300cc motorbike and ride on the hard shoulder according to traffic and road conditions. Never mind rules and regulations, genuine common sense comes first.

43 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What is wrong with a motorbike traveling on the hard shoulder? I ride a 300cc motorbike and ride on the hard shoulder according to traffic and road conditions. Never mind rules and regulations, genuine common sense comes first.

If you need to watch the video when renewing your licence you will know, they actually refer to the hard shoulder as the "motorbike/cycle lane".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Read earlier posts and see section 45 of the Road Traffic Act 1979.

Not related to this incident but is is perfectly LEGAL to overtake on the left where there are 2 lanes, or more, going in the same direction (i.e. dual carriageway and above - we are not talking about spillover lanes).

Yes, you are correct but that is my exact point about driving here in Thailand.  Understand this point, the vehicle all of them was invented in the West, that being said so were the rules taken. They have taken a object it seems and the rules without anyone ever explaining to them the application. 

In regards to my statement, a solid line is exactly what it means, whether horiz or vertical on the road.  It is stated in the Thai learning handbook,  there are Lines vertical painted at intersection stop same for a stop sign yet in the real world here in Thailand it is never obey never! Even the BIB has no idea or training as to how to apply the rules thus the use of color or culture to place blame and solution. Their Section 45 is conflict what is in the handbook and teaching, the portion you see in the video is suppose to be for emergency  but here as you noted it is normally use for bikes as a lane since larger vehicles on the road drivers never been taught to share the road.

When you say spillover lanes, please define that for me as to the actually application?  In this situation where do you think one can spillover certainly in this case he spilled over in front of the truck, do you see anywhere in the video he or anyone could have spilled over and not had a problem?

Not that it matter, I worked with the Department of Transportation for over 40 years, got all the commercial endorsement plus teaching. They say the past helps you for the future because I've been here going on 15 years and know if I didn't have my training I would be dead years ago. I've never seen anything like it before and it isn't because they are stupid, I've written if they can compete in sports in the national stage they can learn how to drive properly the problem is Enforcement pure and simple just like sports!  Here those who enforce come from the same system. I can take 10 government official on a surprise driving test and all 10 would fail from whatever rule they want to use! 

What is happening here is a simple fix the problem those who know how to fix it have no power to do so except talk about it. Then those who can don't want to because they lack the fortitude and the money is just too good to past up?

2 minutes ago, Ugothai said:

It is possible that only me think that a 10yo boy must not drive a motobike and that the family is the first guilty ?????????

Its best to learn to read first before you branch out into thinking

• Like 1

It is possible that only me think that a 10yo boy must not drive a motobike and that the family is the first guilty ?????????

It doesn’t say 10 year old, it says year 10 year student that means that he is already around 10 years in school what makes his age around 15 (and that is a legal age (in Thailand) to get a Motobike license.

6 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Are you kidding me!  If you were driving the vehicle!  consider the speed the vehicle was traveling and the distant the bike fell in front of him it is impossible for the vehicle to stop. Even if the driver slam on the brakes he still would have run over the boy!

How can you say " feel sorry " then " no excuse for not stopping "

My apoligise, reading the added story regarding the Songthaw in the interview he admitted he didn't stop because didn't feel the accident involved him nor did he know he ran over the boy and that to me is a bunch of B.S.

16 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

My apoligise, reading the added story regarding the Songthaw in the interview he admitted he didn't stop because didn't feel the accident involved him nor did he know he ran over the boy and that to me is a bunch of B.S.

I would have to give the Songthaw driver the benefit of doubt on that one because in the video it looks like the student went down below the line of sight of the driver and as the state of the roads it is quite possible that the small bump the driver would feel would be hard to define whether it was a bump in the road

Edited by Russell17au

2 hours ago, Ugothai said:

He was not 10 years old, he was in Year 10 of his school studies, from the OP :

CCTV footage from Buriram showed the tragic moment when a Year 10 (M3) student was crushed on his way to school.