Isaan for 2 month “working” holiday?

Kosmosis707

Hello all!

I’m currently in my final semester of a Masters program in Australia and have decided to head to Thailand and write my thesis there. I’m thinking it’s a good opportunity to save money, try to learn a little bit of the language, and finally enjoy a longer stay than a quick holiday.  But now the big question is..where do I go?  

I was thinking a city in Isaan may be a good idea since I’m not really on holiday and really want to see what the countryside and its people have to offer.  I’m interested in trying to engage with locals, work on my language skills (maybe do language exchange), and just reading and writing.  I will want some nightlife on occasion, too.  

I have a few questions regarding this idea:

1) will I get bored and feel isolated?  I read Isaan is quite slow paced, which can be both a great thing and a bad thing.  Also, since English is less widely spoken will it be a significant challenge to make local friends?

2) I read some local language dialects are closer to Lao than to Thai.  Would this make it difficult to learn official Thai?  Or are there plenty of classes or tutors that can provide instruction?

3) I’m hoping to find a nice studio apartment or condo with a pool, a gym, and solid internet for under 8,000 baht per month.  Is this feasible? If so, any cities better than others in the region for this? 

4) If you think Isaan may be a bit too boring or not a good fit for me, what do you think of Hua Hin, Surat Thani, or the Krabi coast in terms of my price range and my interest in interacting with locals, having some nightlife, and having access to language training?

Thanks for taking the time!

I would recommend Mueang Surin.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mueang_Surin_District     Surin City is about 50,000 and is about 70km from the Chong Chom Borders crossing into Cambodia. You will find just about everything your looking for and the price you stated. There is a large community of western english teacher in Surin. You will find a vibrant nightlife on Soi Kola. Surin locals speak Thai and Khmer and some Lao. My wife speaks all plus english. I have a good Aussie friend who is a digital nomads who stays in Chong Chom which is the crossing and does his work online. Personally I thank you well have a great time. 

Agree with the above but must add, a place with a pool will be a bit hard to find but not impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Udon is ok for all you’re looking for. And close to the Lao border 45minutes 

You can find places in you price range to rent. One place that’s new with  pool gym wash room etc. 1 bedroom furnished 10,000 baht per month

Edited by DJ54
  • Like 1

If you seriously want to finish your thesis, you will almost certainly need access to journals: unless you have VPN access to your home university, this will be limited and probably expensive.

You could ask one of the three large universities in Isaan - Suranaree (near Korat), Khon Kaen or Mahasarakham - to accept you as a visitor and thus allow you access to their libraries and online libraries. (There are also nearly a dozen other smaller universities - or second campuses for the major ones - in every large city.)

This would also allow you to make contact with other post-grad students, who will be able to speak English - at least a little: the other students looked after my last visitor quite well.  Many will be happy to help you in return for assistance

with their English .. most of them need to write a paper in English before they graduate - and, of course, you can ask them to teach you some Thai too.  And many of those lessons might move to the local bars ;-)

PM me if you want more detail: give me your thesis topic, if you are lucky, I may be able to put you in contact with someone who will be keen to have you join his or her students in similar areas.

On 3/8/2018 at 1:52 PM, AJBangkok said:

If you want to learn Thai go to  Bangkok or Hua Hin, if you want to learn Lao go to Issan 

That's a funny post.

Why do you think it not possible to learn Thai in Issan? The majority of Issan people speak Thai. They may communicate with their friends and family in Lao, Khmer, Gui, Thai Korat, etc but with strangers they will, initially at least, speak Thai.

There is a plethora of situations where Thai is used. I learnt to speak Thai living in a Khmer speaking area of Issan, picked up a bit of Khmer on the way too.

To be honest, the interest that the OP shows in language, I think Issan would be the perfect place to come for a couple of months.

If  were to be slightly biased I would narrow Issan down to Buriram.

Edited by puchooay
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Martyjustice said:

Learn thai in isaan, speak it in Bangkok. They will call you “country boy”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And who gives a sh@t. Just bo%$cks from the so called "Elite". They'd probably call some one from Pathum Thani "country boy".

• Haha 1

why not consider an area of bangkok ?  i spend 10 days a month in buriram so i'm somewhat experienced in isaan (the rest are spent in bkk or somewhere outside thailand).  there isn't much nightlife at all in buriram and you need transport to get around.  in bkk, you have the BTS/MRT and can find a studio for under 10,000thb but you'll need to be on the outer end of the BTS or MRT.

in my mind, renting a motorbike to get around is a death wish.

• Like 1

Of all my friends who have visited here, some have gotten off the plane at Suvarnambumi and proclaimed the place to be the anus of the Universe with 60 minutes.

Others, like me love the quaint backward and slow feel of the place. And of course, the weather, food and girls are all world-class.

Don't come if seeing a cockroach or a rat makes you apoplectic.

Come if you want to immerse yourself in a new culture and learn things about yourself you couldn't learn at home.

Everyone is different.

Be careful though, Thailand is exteremely addictive, and, in my opinion, is the crack cocaine of countries.

8 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Of all my friends who have visited here, some have gotten off the plane at Suvarnambumi and proclaimed the place to be the anus of the Universe with 60 minutes.

Others, like me love the quaint backward and slow feel of the place. And of course, the weather, food and girls are all world-class.

Don't come if seeing a cockroach or a rat makes you apoplectic.

Come if you want to immerse yourself in a new culture and learn things about yourself you couldn't learn at home.

Everyone is different.

Be careful though, Thailand is exteremely addictive, and, in my opinion, is the crack cocaine of countries.

All of my friends and acquaintances have found the whole Thai experience quite amenable and some are regular visitors. Only a few have written it off as a one-trick pony.

When it comes to women, Thailand is the methadone for my Brazilian heroin.

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

All of my friends and acquaintances have found the whole Thai experience quite amenable and some are regular visitors. Only a few have written it off as a one-trick pony.

When it comes to women, Thailand is the methadone for my Brazilian heroin.

2 crackers in a row NanLaew is it too early for poster of the year yet... Couldn't agree with you more about Udon and methadone 

13 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

OP are you a country boy? if not nothing will prepare you for the mind numbing boredom you will experience in Isaan. Dont listen to the posters they are all in relationships or married so they dont have much of a choice.

Mind numbing bordeom?

Whatever you are on please stop as it as addling your brain.

• Like 1

Isaan is ok for a while, i stay part time in Udon, but i gave my GF orders to move somewhere else already :P

Rent a place for a month, if you don't like it move somewhere else, a month is most likely ok for everybody ;)

In case you decide to come to Udon and i'm here at the time when you come i can help you a bit, we are probably about the same age. Just send me a PM then.

On 3/12/2018 at 9:17 AM, colinneil said:

Mind numbing bordeom?

Whatever you are on please stop as it as addling your brain.

Your married and and old fella. Your demeaning post was expected but how about you learn to play the ball and that man eh? If you cant contribute then shut your pie hole !!

2 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Your married and and old fella. Your demeaning post was expected but how about you learn to play the ball and that man eh? If you cant contribute then shut your pie hole !!

The words "pots" and "kettles" spring to mind. T*$t also.

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

Having a bad day dear ,you upset about something Please be polite when posting, as you could possibly upset someone.:passifier::passifier:

I try to answer best your points:

1. Yes you will go bored crazy in Isaan after a few days if not hours.
You will meet Thai guys if you buying the beer but none will speak English.

For foreigner friend you must go to their bars, which are only few here and there.
Even there its no gaurantee they will talk to you.
They seem to avoid contact and even they will look the other way when they see you approach.
not sure why, probably due to alcoholic paranoia/schitzophrenia?
got me beat, but there seems a general distrust in other farang for some reason.

2. It is both complex and simple the language but it takes years of study to have even basic conversation.
Lao and Khmer will still understand Thai but unless you are very very good at languages i think impossible to get the tones down very quick so they understand you.

then you must understand them! takes a long time

there are schools/tutors in Bangkok, not so many in Isaan.
i think your best chance is a good book, online websites or a Thai teacher (with good English) doing lessons on Skype. this expensive tho!

3. You will find easy on outskirts of Bangkok have many choices.
I think Isaan very hard to find a place where have all 3 of your requirement and is good.
Isaan not really big on pools, gym even less and sometimes internet can be very poor.

4. The other places you mention are ok but have many tourists.
Obvious being near the beach is nice for a while but it wears off quick when not much else around to see/ do.

my opinion: for what you need you will only find in outskirts of Bangkok.
At least there always something to see and do and can probably arrange online to meet up with people. easier to get around on buses BTS and easy tofind girls and party also!

At your price range for appartment is gonna be tricky to find good pool, gym and internet under 8k/month. definately suburb of Bangkok can be done though.
think you will need to know someone who already in a condo/appartment
you will be like a rat in a crazy maze and a lot of foot work for a new guy on the ground and looking. language factor again as not many have English.

i can even introduce you to few guys that have places like that though in Bkk is probably better than going blind
best of luck

• Sad 1

If you want a place with a pool Udon Thani has hotels full of them, far more than the other isaan cities.

If the hotel doesn’t have a gym area there’s gyms across the city that will have better facilities.

Also (maybe) due to the large number of expats living there better English is spoken generally, and eating out you’ll find more places with menus in English.

Whoa!  Just logged back in and didn't realize I'd get so much great input!  Thanks!

A few things have changed since my original post.  I feel committed to Isan now.  I do thank all of the other recommendations, but having been in Bangkok several times, I can honestly say it's one of my least favorite cities on Earth.  I was considering it for all of the luxuries, options, and language schools, but I now feel it's a no-go. Also, I had not mentioned it in the original post, but the thesis has a lot to do with Isan and it would be cool to understand what the region is all about.

I do understand it can be boring for a farang, but that's fine.  I may just rent for a month and then decide if I need to relocate.  The communication barrier still concerns me, but I'm gonna give it a go anyway. I have done some research, and I see almost every major Isan city (Ubon, Korat, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Surin, Buriram) has some nightclubs..some with molam (like Tawan Daeng)...which is all I really need.  I don't really need (or want) hi-so nightclubs or go-go bars.

I've backed off on needing a gym or a pool at my residence.  It'd be nice to find a local gym though...trying to get back into it since I have some time. I think if I can just find a nice condo, I'm solid.

For the language thing, I did find an affordable and well reputed Thai language instructor in Ubon.  I haven't started looking in the other cities yet and will check it out this week.  I do want to have regular lessons.  Although I know the dialects shift greatly, it looks like there are still some good Thai teachers out there.  I'm alright if they call me a "redneck" in Bangkok...LOL. 

jmor - thanks for the recommendation about the journal access.  I've been assured by my uni I'll have access. The tough thing is to make sure I've already notated from any non-electronic sources before I get out there! But your idea of visiting the Thai unis is great.  Thanks.

I see a lot of recommendations for Buriram and Surin, which were not on my radar before so I'll definitely check those out!  Do they feel much "smaller" than the "big 4" Isan cities? I don't want to go get TOO remote.

I also see some votes for Udon Thani.  How does Ubon Ratchathani compare to the others?

Thanks again!