How to obtain British passport for my son

Merv291265

Hi all,

Could some one tell me what paper work is needed, what's the procedure and how long will it take to apply and receive a British passport for my 17 month old son, I have looked on the British Embassy website but can't find the exact information I wanted.

I am a British national living and working in England, my wife is a Thai National living in Thailand, my son was born in Thailand and is living with my wife, I will be back in Thailand June this year and wanted some idea as to how long it takes, thanks 

The British Embassy do not handle much these days. All the details for applying online for a passport for your son is available at www.gov.uk:

Since 2006, the UK Government do not automatically grant British citizenship. You will need your wife's written permission to take your son abroad. You will also need the original Thai Birth Certificate with a certified translation.

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen/children-born-outside-uk

2 hours ago, Estrada said:

The British Embassy do not handle much these days. All the details for applying online for a passport for your son is available at www.gov.uk:

Since 2006, the UK Government do not automatically grant British citizenship. You will need your wife's written permission to take your son abroad. You will also need the original Thai Birth Certificate with a certified translation.

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen/children-born-outside-uk

They weren't automatically granting citizenship in 1999, if the parentage mix wasn't what they were looking for. They then caught on to their infringing their own discrimination laws, changed it; then changed it again, which would have been between 2006 and 2010. And there is no requirement to have your Thai wife's written permission to take your dual-national son abroad.

2 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

And there is no requirement to have your Thai wife's written permission to take your dual-national son abroad.

And I think there is no requirement to have a Thai wife. Just a woman of any nationality to do the pregnancy part. :smile: 

There is an organization in Pattaya

who advertise on this site run by a guy called Daryl who is from the U.K. Who will do it for you and avoids you having to visit Bangkok to lodge the documents and pick up the passport 

They know the requirements and service is good

4 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

who advertise on this site run by a guy called Daryl who is from the U.K. Who will do it for you and avoids you having to visit Bangkok to lodge the documents and pick up the passport 

Other agencies can do this too (like this Forum's sponsor), but most, like Daryl, will charge around 10,000 baht.  

Might seem a trival point but be careful what is entered onto a child's birth cert'.

When I wanted to get my daughter her UK passport I had the birth cert' translated and the father's (me) nationality was down as Irish. It was a hell of a job going back to the original issuing office to get things changed. The police were involved as well as a top officials from Udon Thani.

All's well that ends well they say. And daughter got her 5 year British year passport.

Edited by owl sees all

Does anybody happen to know how one can go about getting a passport in this situation:

I adopted a child who was from a British man and Thai woman. They were married, born in 2005 in Thailand.  I saw his passport and that he was born in the UK.  I think she should be entitled to it ..I am not sure that getting adopted erased that right somehow?  She will be living in the US in a few weeks and have US citizenship but I have always thought that it might be nice for her to have that for whatever reason might come up someday, but I don't have his birth cert.

He always refused to talk to me and would go into hiding when I contacted him.  I have not researched it.

Okay, thank you!!

Does anybody happen to know how one can go about getting a passport in this situation:

I adopted a child who was from a British man and Thai woman. They were married, born in 2005 in Thailand.  I saw his passport and that he was born in the UK.  I think she should be entitled to it ..I am not sure that getting adopted erased that right somehow?  She will be living in the US in a few weeks and have US citizenship but I have always thought that it might be nice for her to have that for whatever reason might come up someday, but I don't have his birth cert.

He always refused to talk to me and would go into hiding when I contacted him.  I have not researched it.

Okay, thank you!!
You would need the father's long-form birth certificate to prove he is British Otherwise than by Descent.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You would need the father's long-form birth certificate to prove he is British Otherwise than by Descent.

Yes, that is what I have read, but if you can't get that from them?  I saw it, on a copy or something, or in his passport, I can't remember what but I did confirm that fact, and I know that I need his " long-form" birth cert, but if someone won't give it you, than what do you do?

Dear Amykat,

You certainly know how to provide the can of worms.

An American citizen gaining adoption rights and ability to relocate a child back to America being progeny of Thai/British biological parents.

Almost goes whizzing over my head.

Full credit to have navigated the hurdles to date for "your daughter"

I am assuming you have no longer have an avenue of contact with the father.

You can possibly register online with the UK Governmental Department for Births/Deaths/Marriages, (would supply the link but unable to using this device).

You would need to input specific data that isolates to a specific match.

Usually, full name, DOB, and Place of Birth suffices.

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2018 at 2:03 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Other agencies can do this too (like this Forum's sponsor), but most, like Daryl, will charge around 10,000 baht.  

I have no pecuniary interest in the agency I mentioned and have no knowledge of the others

Daryl was recommended to me and I have since recommended him to two others who like me were happy with the very efficient service provided.

Due to our location it would have involved two return trips by plane to Bangkok and two nights accommodation

For me it was certainly value for money but for others, it’s their choice.

On 12/03/2018 at 6:56 AM, StevieAus said:

Hi StevieAus thanks for the reply to my post, would you have a email or phone number for the guy you say you used thanks 

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:40 AM, amykat said:

Yes, that is what I have read, but if you can't get that from them?  I saw it, on a copy or something, or in his passport, I can't remember what but I did confirm that fact, and I know that I need his " long-form" birth cert, but if someone won't give it you, than what do you do?

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

• Thanks 1

On 12/03/2018 at 1:48 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

If you apply in Thailand it should only take around 2-3 weeks. You submit the application, photos, supporting documents for the child, you and your wife at the passport offices at The Trendy on Sukhumvit soi 13.

Can you also tell me if my son has to be a British citizen before I can apply for a passport, thanks 

6 hours ago, Merv291265 said:

Hi StevieAus thanks for the reply to my post, would you have a email or phone number for the guy you say you used thanks 

The organization is called Key Visa if you google there is an email link

Two numbers from Uk 442070971630

Daryl 66 810045397

Good luck

Can you also tell me if my son has to be a British citizen before I can apply for a passport, thanks 
If HMPO determine he is not entitled to British citizenship the passport will not be issued. So, no, there is no need to establish his citizenship first. The key factor is that the British parent is British Otherwise than by Descent which is established by their long-form birth certificate.