Fresh fruits and vegetables in restaraunts

jerry921

11 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

It just goes to show that gamesgplayemail does not know the first thing about any of this topic. He does not know that not everybody is a tourist like him and that many of us are more experienced and knowledgeable about these things than him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Worse advice I ever got was from an expat friend that lived in BKK 12 years and advised me to never eat street food and wash all your store bought vegetables and fruit with bottled water and don’t use ice.  Luckily I ate dinner drunk with a few bar girls on the way to the hotel and met some Thai friends and realized he was living in Siam Paragon not Thailand. I have eaten the street food for over 10 years and cook with BKK Tap water and never been sick. Eaten in Issan villages and all over Thailand and never been sick. I do ask the Issan women to cook my seafood as they like some of their seafood raw. I now drink my beer with ice after enjoying it that way in isaan.

Traveled a lot of the world and only been sick from food in India and raw oysters in USA. Enjoy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, uffe123 said:

All vegetable and fruits in Thailand are sprayed heavily with pesticides that are banned in Europe and the U.S. such as paraquat, one ounce of the stuff in our body would kill you. Of course you eat them now and feel no effects,but wait 5 or 10 years when you develop cancer or many other disease from it. 

So add the pesticides, and then the polluted air that exceeds WHO's limits by more that 50%. You likely wont be retired here for too long. 

This if a good place to come for a visit and leave, not to live long term. After 20 years I will be leaving in May.

You've been in Thailand 20 years and not developed cancer or any other nasty ailments?

Your post seems to contradict itself.

6 hours ago, uffe123 said:

All vegetable and fruits in Thailand are sprayed heavily with pesticides that are banned in Europe and the U.S. such as paraquat, one ounce of the stuff in our body would kill you. Of course you eat them now and feel no effects,but wait 5 or 10 years when you develop cancer or many other disease from it. 

So add the pesticides, and then the polluted air that exceeds WHO's limits by more that 50%. You likely wont be retired here for too long. 

This if a good place to come for a visit and leave, not to live long term. After 20 years I will be leaving in May.

I seem to have a very big problem with this post.

You state that if you digest these chemicals now they will show no ill effect but in 5 to 10 years you will develop cancer or many other diseases from them. Would you like to enlighten us to what qualifications you have and what research documents do you have to support your claim.

If your claim is correct then how come you have been here for 20 years and you have not developed cancer or any other disease from the consumption of these chemical laced foods.

Your claim is a lot of rubbish and I have lived here for 6 years and I have developed cancer, but that was 14 years ago back in Australia and it had nothing to do with chemicals on foodstuffs.

Plus since when has Paraquat been a pesticide, Paraquat is not a pesticide it is a herbicide. You do not know what you are talking about because you do not even know the difference between a pesticide and a herbicide and you cannot produce any documents that the pesticide Paraquat causes cancer

Edited by Russell17au
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

You state that if you digest these chemicals now they will show no ill effect but in 5 to 10 years you will develop cancer or many other diseases from then. Would you like to enlighten us to what qualifications and research documents do you have to support your claim.

If your claim is correct then how come you have been here for 20 years and you have not developed cancer or any other disease from the consumption of these chemical laced foods.

Your claim is a lot of rubbish and I have lived here for 6 years and I have developed cancer, but that was 14 years ago back in Australia and it had nothing to do with chemicals on foodstuffs.

Plus since when has Paraquat been a pesticide, Paraquat is not a pesticide it is a herbicide. You do not know what you are talking about because you do not even know the difference between a pesticide and a herbicide and you you cannot produce any documents that the pesticide Paraquat causes cancer

Not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer either, but it certainly increases your chances if you do. If it doesn't worry you to ingest large amounts of toxic chemicals, go ahead, your body.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I do not agree with your last line. There is far too much frivolous use of antibiotics on this planet and this is one of them. There are plenty of stomach calming potions on the market which work perfectly well. Those plus keeping hydrated will fix most problems.

I agree with the first part - but for food poisoning, nothing else has ever worked for me... I guess we must be different people with different chemistry... 

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer either, but it certainly increases your chances if you do. If it doesn't worry you to ingest large amounts of toxic chemicals, go ahead, your body.

If what you are saying is correct then what do you eat because there is that much toxic chemicals in the air that you breathe I do not know what would be left for you to live on without congesting toxic chemicals

Some people who do not smoke and have never been around smokers also get lung cancer. Do you eat the fruit and vegetables direct out of the garden or from the market raw or do you wash them first? If you wash them then what do you wash with? bottled water (treated with chemicals), tap water ( full of bacteria and chemical sediments from the air), collected rain water (chemical and bacteria washed off the roof when it rains)

If you do not like chemicals then my suggestion to you would be to pack up and move to a place like the Arctic or the Antarctic because they would be about the only places left that do not have any chemicals even in the atmosphere.

Any fruit or vegetables that we buy are always washed well before consumption.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WM1 said:

We are talking pesticides here.

"Is food safety adequate to the point that one can eat most everything restaurants"

ok- if that is what you see, but I was replying to the op who seems to be talking of food safety in a broader sense, which I interpreted as not wanting to get sick... 

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

And many of us will merely die of old age - - what time is it?

Not time for you yet.

These ones that will not eat the food will go first, because it is a proven fact that everything to eat and drink has different chemicals in it for some reason or another, whether it is used to purify water to drink or in the most simple organic garden there are toxic chemicals at work.

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

You state that if you digest these chemicals now they will show no ill effect but in 5 to 10 years you will develop cancer or many other diseases from them. Would you like to enlighten us to what qualifications you have and what research documents do you have to support your claim.

Plus since when has Paraquat been a pesticide, Paraquat is not a pesticide it is a herbicide. You do not know what you are talking about because you do not even know the difference between a pesticide and a herbicide and you cannot produce any documents that the pesticide Paraquat causes cancer

See this and many others regarding the increase in cancers in Argentina due to chemical spraying on foods. Also a link that says these chemicals are not only on the food, but in them!

http://www.gmwatch.org/en/news/latest-news/16564-argentina-public-health-crisis-from-pesticide-spraying-on-gm-crops-worsens

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/21c_pre_2011/food/harmfulchemicalsrev3.shtml

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

See this and many others regarding the increase in cancers in Argentina due to chemical spraying on foods. Also a link that says these chemicals are not only on the food, but in them!

http://www.gmwatch.org/en/news/latest-news/16564-argentina-public-health-crisis-from-pesticide-spraying-on-gm-crops-worsens

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/21c_pre_2011/food/harmfulchemicalsrev3.shtml

Your link with Argentina is only about the GENETICALLY MODIFIED crops which some countries like Australia have banned the planting of genetically modified crops because of the health risks from the crops alone.

There is no food or drink on this earth that is completely chemical free and that is a fact of life, not even rain water.

What do you eat and drink that is completely chemical free?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Your link with Argentina is only about the GENETICALLY MODIFIED crops which some countries like Australia have banned the planting of genetically modified crops because of the health risks from the crops alone.

There is no food or drink on this earth that is completely chemical free and that is a fact of life, not even rain water.

What do you eat and drink that is completely chemical free?

This quote below relates to pesticides causing the problem and not only GM foods.

I doubt that much of what we eat these days (unless from a certified and overseen organic producer) is totally chemical free BUT ingesting vast amounts of chemicals is not on my list of preferences.

If the Govt here got their act together it would be a different story altogether and we could eat more healthy foods.

"the current system of agricultural production in the country pollutes the environment and Argentine food, sickening and killing human populations in agricultural areas.

In the last 25 years the consumption of pesticides increased by 983% (from 38 to 370 million kilos), while the cultivated area increased by 50% (from 20 million ha to 30 million ha). A production system based on the systematic application of agricultural poisons means, inevitably, that nature responds by adapting, forcing farmers to apply greater quantities of pesticides in the field to achieve the same objectives. Over the years a system has been created by and for sellers of pesticides, who every year increase their net sales (in 2015 the increase was 9%) while our patients, too, year after year are being exposed to this pesticide pollution more and more.

There is no doubt that the massive and growing exposure to pesticides changed the disease profile of Argentine rural populations and that cancer is the leading cause of death among them (and the worst way to die)".

• Thanks 1

I am more wary of eating things like seafood here. Ok the culmination of eating veg sprayed with pesticides that often is not washed thoroughly will causd damage, but there are more immediate risks in terms of food prep and hygiene here.

My system is probably more tough towards the onslaught than most Farangs in Thailand as I have been periodically living/visiting since I was a young man and I love Thai food. For sure though it has probably taken a toll on me, but whatever I guess...

• Like 1

I wonder how many of these high end places get their fruit and veg from regulated organic farms, and how many get their products from similar providers that are served across all of Thailand, but charging more in the high end establishments.

Whilst Thailand has a great array of tasty food, fine dining and Michelin star restaurants are not really associated with the country, nor is the widespread availability of organic products. People out in Issan with their own little personal gardens are probably eating the healthiest in general.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kevozman1 said:

I wonder how many of these high end places get their fruit and veg from regulated organic farms, and how many get their products from similar providers that are served across all of Thailand, but charging more in the high end establishments.

Whilst Thailand has a great array of tasty food, fine dining and Michelin star restaurants are not really associated with the country, nor is the widespread availability of organic products. People out in Issan with their own little personal gardens are probably eating the healthiest in general.

Isn't this the section of the country with the highest rate of liver cancer?   Eating pla ra and other foods made from uncooked fresh-water fish, drinking locally produced rice spirits, wading about in "fresh" water klongs and buying unregulated pesticides at their local markets?  

These activities lead to liver flukes and liver cancer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Isn't this the section of the country with the highest rate of liver cancer?   Eating pla ra and other foods made from uncooked fresh-water fish, drinking locally produced rice spirits, wading about in "fresh" water klongs and buying unregulated pesticides at their local markets?  

These activities lead to liver flukes and liver cancer.

The underlined is your reason for the liver cancer especially because of the amount of the locally made rice whisky that is consumed by the local Thai farmers but the unregulated pesticides are not used on the local vegetable garden, it is used on the rice fields without wearing protective clothing when spraying, it is not because of it being injested from the food. The Isaan area is mainly poor farmers that have a small farm that is located anything up to 5 or 6 kilometres away from the house in the villagea and the vegetable gardens are at the house not at the farms and there is no pesticide or herbicide sprayed around the houses as the vegetable gardens are not big enough to start the sprayer. The main reason for the liver disease is more from the amount of the locally made rice whisky that the farmers consume per day

• Haha 1

Actually and just by pure chance, I discovered that there is a growing interest in the hydroponic method of growing salad vegetables, right here in rural Issan. That is, folks, growing veggies organically and without soil, just using a water based nutrient solution and sunlight. I'm intrigued and keen to know more.

My wife's sister-in-law is into it and the technique is being passed around the community. We visited her place today and came home with some delicious fresh and crispy produce that we enjoyed with dinner this evening.

So, if you want good quality unadulterated food, Issan could be the place to come in the future.

Yer, I know, it's a bit off topic, but it's such an interesting development., I feel compelled to share it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Actually and just by pure chance, I discovered that there is a growing interest in the hydroponic method of growing salad vegetables, right here in rural Issan. That is, folks, growing veggies organically and without soil, just using a water based nutrient solution and sunlight. I'm intrigued and keen to know more.

My wife's sister-in-law is into it and the technique is being passed around the community. We visited her place today and came home with some delicious fresh and crispy produce that we enjoyed with dinner this evening.

So, if you want good quality unadulterated food, Issan could be the place to come in the future.

Yer, I know, it's a bit off topic, but it's such an interesting development., I feel compelled to share it.

Hydroponics has been around in Isaan for a while, the salad lettuce that you buy in Big C and Tesco is all grown using hydroponics but recently there was a warning released that some of the hydroponic grown produce contained chemicals. There is a place on Highway 2 on the right hand side a few kilometres north of Khon Kaen on the way to Udon Thani that makes and sells the hydroponic "gardens" and all the equipment that is needed  to start your own hydroponic garden

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Hydroponics has been around in Isaan for a while, the salad lettuce that you buy in Big C and Tesco is all grown using hydroponics but recently there was a warning released that some of the hydroponic grown produce contained chemicals. There is a place on Highway 2 on the right hand side a few kilometres north of Khon Kaen on the way to Udon Thani that makes and sells the hydroponic "gardens" and all the equipment that is needed  to start your own hydroponic garden

Where do hydroponic vegetables get their minerals if they don't use chemicals?

I have a cast iron stomach, but like al of us, have been sick a few times a year, but I can't positively point my finger t the veggies or fruit, I would blame the eggs, meat, or seafood before the veggies and fruits.  Enjoy the food, but at home wash the vegetables in a cap full of bleach to a sink of water before refrigeration, your tummy will love you for it.

11 hours ago, Russell17au said:

The underlined is your reason for the liver cancer especially because of the amount of the locally made rice whisky that is consumed by the local Thai farmers but the unregulated pesticides are not used on the local vegetable garden, it is used on the rice fields without wearing protective clothing when spraying, it is not because of it being injested from the food. The Isaan area is mainly poor farmers that have a small farm that is located anything up to 5 or 6 kilometres away from the house in the villagea and the vegetable gardens are at the house not at the farms and there is no pesticide or herbicide sprayed around the houses as the vegetable gardens are not big enough to start the sprayer. The main reason for the liver disease is more from the amount of the locally made rice whisky that the farmers consume per day

Quote: "but the unregulated pesticides are not used on the local vegetable garden, it is used on the rice fields without wearing protective clothing when spraying, it is not because of it being injested from the food".

Unregulated and excessive use of pesticides/herbicides is a problem on all foods here. A friend of mine who grew pineapples up north also used hormones to spray on his pineapples, so god knows how that was affecting consumers of his products?

Also several studies on this subject have been undertaken in Thailand and found excessive use of these chemicals on and in over 50% of produce sampled, including "organic" and even hydroponic veges.........all on the internet.

The Govt could stop it, but............well we know why they won't!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Quote: "but the unregulated pesticides are not used on the local vegetable garden, it is used on the rice fields without wearing protective clothing when spraying, it is not because of it being injested from the food".

Unregulated and excessive use of pesticides/herbicides is a problem on all foods here. A friend of mine who grew pineapples up north also used hormones to spray on his pineapples, so god knows how that was affecting consumers of his products?

Also several studies on this subject have been undertaken in Thailand and found excessive use of these chemicals on and in over 50% of produce sampled, including "organic" and even hydroponic veges.........all on the internet.

The Govt could stop it, but............well we know why they won't!

You seem to miss comprehend my post as I was responding to NancyL about the cancer in the Isaan area but I will try and explain to you so that you might understand that your remark about pesticide is incorrect in regard to what I was posting.

The only place that the Isaan farmer uses any pesticide or herbicide is on his rice crop he does not use any on his vegetable garden that is growing his private use vegetables that is located around his house which is located in the small village and can be anything around 5 to 6 kilometres from the farm. his garden around his house is for his own families consumption not for sale. He is not a market gardener that sells his vegetable produce. Now do you understand what my post was about?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Russell17au said:

what about the people that do not drink?  Are you saying there is zero risk of liver flukes, liver cancer and liver disease?

Edited by torrzent

1 minute ago, torrzent said:

what about the people that do not drink?  Are you saying there is zero risk of liver flukes, liver cancer and liver disease?

It is a well known fact about the amount of Thai farmers from the Isaan region die from liver disease from the amount of the locally made rice whiskey that they continually drink at all hours of the day.

NancyL commented on the liver disease in the Isaan area and I responded to that post showing that the reason for the higher than normal cancer disease in the Isaan area is not from the pesticide or the herbicide use but from the excessive use of the locally made rice whiskey.

I personally attended 10 funerals of people who have died from liver disease in the last 2 years and their liver disease was proven as being caused by the rice whiskey and no deaths of anyone caused by either the pesticide or herbicide in the same village in the same period of time.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It is a well known fact about the amount of Thai farmers from the Isaan region die from liver disease from the amount of the locally made rice whiskey that they continually drink at all hours of the day.

NancyL commented on the liver disease in the Isaan area and I responded to that post showing that the reason for the higher than normal cancer disease in the Isaan area is not from the pesticide or the herbicide use but from the excessive use of the locally made rice whiskey.

I personally attended 10 funerals of people who have died from liver disease in the last 2 years and their liver disease was proven as being caused by the rice whiskey and no deaths of anyone caused by either the pesticide or herbicide in the same village in the same period of time.

Since it is a "well known fact", do you have a link to any verifiable 3rd party stats which back up what you are saying?